Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
odd spacing within text

I have noticed this since my first purchase 19XX FW

It has gotten worse with each upgrade it seems (could be my imagination)
i get huuuuuge spaces between words occasionally it has become very distracting as it makes the eye dance all over, i also have a lot of blank space at the bottom of each page (some worse than others)

is it possible it is related to my font size being rather large? i have line spacing set extremely low and margins off

is there an easy way i can use Calibre and do a conversion to eliminate this?

any help would be appreciated
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Yes large fonts seem to cause layout problems. Turning off justification helps.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast

thanks filmo
unfortunately turning off justification has done nothing
at least with this epub

i was hoping i could scrub ome settings with a calibre convert to avoid this

(I need large fonts as my eyesight is deplorable, and with the economy being what it is i can't afford new glasses lol)

Last edited by Slartibartfaust; 10-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I suspect simple reading glasses will not work for your eyes. Recently I discovered I could not read menu in dim restaurant light so I put 1.5X reading glasses in front of my prescription glasses so I could read. I didn't care if it looked silly. If that restaurant was any darker everyone would have needed a flash light or white cane. As it was couldn't see the floor in some places. Reading glasses cost less than $10.00.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Must be an issue with the css file. Codes there should be checked but if it's a DRM book, you won't be able to access the file without stripping the DRM off. I don't know about Caliber though
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast

i do wear drug store glasses currently heh
even with them on i need large fonts (cannot read actual paperbacks at all at this point , my main reason for getting a kobo)

all my books are sideloaded epubs without DRM

gotta be some way i can fix this,no?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfaust View Post
i do wear drug store glasses currently heh
even with them on i need large fonts (cannot read actual paperbacks at all at this point , my main reason for getting a kobo)

all my books are sideloaded epubs without DRM

gotta be some way i can fix this,no?
In that case you should be able to strip the formatting with calibre and then you'll be able to turn off justification. A number of threads around on how to do this and you might only need to strip out the justification part of css file to let you do this.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In that case you should be able to strip the formatting with calibre and then you'll be able to turn off justification. A number of threads around on how to do this and you might only need to strip out the justification part of css file to let you do this.
I did not know that Calibre could be used for that. How do you do it? Converting epub to epub? I have been using Sigil to edit the css file...
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
Converting epub to epub?
Yes, Calibre will do this. Sometimes a window pops up reminding you that you are converting an epub to an epub, but it lets you do it.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote