Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #12901
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I'm about to finish All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque. A terrific book.
The 1930 film based on the book is well worth a look, also. I believe I still have a copy of the silent version on VHS tape somewhere.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #12902
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I don't believe that O Jerusalem was the one I was warned about that would drift off into lengthy descriptions of Jewish mysticism. I just finished it and it was just great! I'm now starting to read the 6th in the series, Justice Hall.
Yeah, I thought I remembered O Jerusalem as a good one. And no, not the mystical one. I'm going to have to work my way through these again and see which one it was, now. It's bugging me that I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussel
I'm reading The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. This turns out to be a re-read, since I apparently read it in paperback when it released and had forgotten about it. Can't imagine why, I'm enjoying it immensely. The premise is an innkeeper who is more, telling his story to a chronicler. This is a first novel from Mr. Rothfuss, but remarkably well-written and crafted. Recommended. The second book in the trilogy is out, but you'll have to wait for the third one.
Excellent. Highly recommended. The only problem is, I'm going to jump right in to the second one in the series, The Wise Man's Fear and the third one isn't out yet!

My one real complaint about the series is that hackneyed subtheme of the protagonist's angst and dithering about the beautiful but unacheivable female, etc., etc. But other than that, it's very well done. You've got an interesting magic premise combined with the ever popular bard, and a bit of fighting to keep it all moving along. And move along it does, I was up WAY too late last night.

On to the second one!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #12903
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yeah, I thought I remembered O Jerusalem as a good one. And no, not the mystical one. I'm going to have to work my way through these again and see which one it was, now. It's bugging me that I can't remember.
Don't do that unless you really want to since I'll be telling you when I stumble onto it and my plans right now are to read all of them back-to-back.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #12904
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Since it made the Hugo shortlist, and I'm eligible to vote again this year, I've got started on A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin. I bought it (well, them - the uk paperback edition has been split into two, like the previous two volumes) a while ago, but was in no great hurry to read it given that the next one is probably still a long way off.

Even split into two the books are quite chunky. 600 and 500 pages of actual book, and a chunk of Appendix after that. I expect I'll get a free ebook version as part of the voter packet before long, and I might switch over to that if I'm still reading by then.

I had to read the synopses on Wikipedia of the earlier books in the series, it's been so long.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #12905
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Don't do that unless you really want to since I'll be telling you when I stumble onto it and my plans right now are to read all of them back-to-back.
Oh, it would be because I want to. I really enjoyed these books the first time through, and it's been long enough that I'm about ready to re-read anyway. But probably not quite yet. It's about this huge TBR I need to deal with.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #12906
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My partial personal challenge this year was to read at least the first book in a series of a bunch of Epic Fantasy novels that have clogged up my TBR pile for a while (First three books in The Wheel Of Time, first three books in A Song of Ice and Fire, three books in The First Law, first two in the Malazan Book of the Fallen), but that's not going so well. I've read the first two books of The First Law series, but I've hit a mental brick wall. Can't generate the energy to work through these Epics.

So, I've been rereading and reading some mindless and fun fiction. Reread the first four (chronologically) in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Series, finally finished book 6 (When The Tide Rises) of David Drake's RCN Series, book one of The Cat Who series (The Cat Who Could Read Backwards) which I wasn't overly impressed with and am now moving onto the first book in the Jon and Lobo Series by Mark L. van Name (One Jump Ahead).

Maybe in a couple of months I can again wrap my head around the epics and at least finish a few of what I have.

Last edited by jgaiser; 04-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #12907
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepSnick View Post
I have really enjoyed The BDB series. They're definitely a great addition to any reading list. This is my first time reading them, and I can't get enough.

I read part of the Percy Jackson series about 2 years ago, I never finished, not because I didn't enjoy it but because I got busy and just never went back to it. I need to finish that up. I haven't read any of the others, but the Dresden Files is on my to read list, as well.
The Hollows is quite similar to the Dresden Files in that it is Urban Fantasy with a myriad of "beings", where the main character & friends are investigators. One major difference is that the "beings" are now out in the open, due to an odd global catastrophe, of sorts, outlined through out the stories.

I had actually intended to finish the series last year, but I started reading them too late...So I will be reading books 1 and 2 for a 3rd time, and books 3 - 6 for a 2nd time.

I find it kind of funny that I stopped at book 6 in both The Hollows and BDB.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #12908
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A ridiculous premise, but an exciting read. I think I'll move onto the next two straight away.

So next up:

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
I just started Catching Fire today.

I read The Hunger Games a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised, she writes pretty good and it the book never got boring. I'm not much for reviewing books or posting a long opinion on them but I would recommend the book, 10/10 stars.

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-18-2012 at 12:34 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #12909
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #12910
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
So I finish All Quiet on the Western Front. A super read. Now back to The Grapes of Wrath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
My partial personal challenge this year was to read at least the first book in a series of a bunch of Epic Fantasy novels that have clogged up my TBR pile for a while (First three books in The Wheel Of Time, first three books in A Song of Ice and Fire, three books in The First Law, first two in the Malazan Book of the Fallen), but that's not going so well. I've read the first two books of The First Law series, but I've hit a mental brick wall. Can't generate the energy to work through these Epics.
[...]
Maybe in a couple of months I can again wrap my head around the epics and at least finish a few of what I have.
They're all on my TBR list too. I gave up Song of Ice and Fire a while ago, and was intimidated by WoT and Malazan. I fear they're all the same in style. As for 1st Law, it has not received very good comment from someone whose taste is very similar to mine.

What is this "mental brick wall" you were talking about? If you have sampled the others, can you compare 1st Law to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I read it a few nights ago and I liked it, I would have liked to see he writing expanded more though.
It would be expanded later in 2nd and 3rd volume.

Last edited by maianhvk; 04-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #12911
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
They're all on my TBR list too. I gave up Song of Ice and Fire a while ago, and was intimidated by WoT and Malazan. I fear they're all the same in style. As for 1st Law, it has not received very good comment from someone whose taste is very similar to mine.

What is this "mental brick wall" you were talking about? If you have sampled the others, can you compare 1st Law to them?
Too many characters. Too many story threads. Too little energy or interest right now to keep everyone/everything straight.

I haven't done more than read the first couple chapters of any beyond The First Law series. I do like Joe Abercrombie's writing, but there are about a dozen main characters and three story threads running through the three books and by book three it was finally time to put them down and read mindless stuff for a while. I'll try to pick them up again later in the year.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #12912
PepSnick
Enthusiast
PepSnick doesn't litterPepSnick doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The Hollows is quite similar to the Dresden Files in that it is Urban Fantasy with a myriad of "beings", where the main character & friends are investigators. One major difference is that the "beings" are now out in the open, due to an odd global catastrophe, of sorts, outlined through out the stories.

I had actually intended to finish the series last year, but I started reading them too late...So I will be reading books 1 and 2 for a 3rd time, and books 3 - 6 for a 2nd time.

I find it kind of funny that I stopped at book 6 in both The Hollows and BDB.
That is pretty funny, lol. BDB did not hook me until the second book, though I enjoyed the first book. I have liked every book in the series, some more than others, but Ward tells a good story.

I have a soft spot for YA books, but I really needed something with more adult action and got just what I was craving. I used to read mostly murder myteries and occasionally something more indepth that makes you think, so this series is really the first of its kind for me.
PepSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #12913
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Too many characters. Too many story threads. Too little energy or interest right now to keep everyone/everything straight.

I haven't done more than read the first couple chapters of any beyond The First Law series. I do like Joe Abercrombie's writing, but there are about a dozen main characters and three story threads running through the three books and by book three it was finally time to put them down and read mindless stuff for a while. I'll try to pick them up again later in the year.
I've read at least one book of all 4 series. I loved Wheel of Time (probably the most traditional), Song of Ice and Fire and The First Law, but really hated the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I only managed one book of that, and struggled to get that far.

It's a funny thing, taste.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #12914
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
<snip> An excellent read for anyone interested in the subject.
Egypt - How a Lost Civilization was Rediscovered by Joyce Tyldesley is now on my wishlist. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straycat1945 View Post
<snip> I read most of my favourite books years ago; Wilbur Smith, <snip>Someone in this thread mentioned Egyptology; go no further than Wilbur Smith. <snip>
I have his River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt / The Seventh Scroll (A Novel of Ancient Egypt) / Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt / The Quest on my wishlist now. Thank you for the suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Just completed The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. <snip> To calm down, I'll read a nice psychopathic murder mystery <snip>
The Monstrumologist is in my TBR pile.... Maybe, I will move it down near the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I managed to finish 'The Jungle,' Upton Sinclair's work about the Chicago stockyards and the people working them at the turn of the century.<snip>
Stitchawl
I read this when my son had to read it in elementary school. My son and I didn't eat meat (or buy it) for quite a while.
Quote:
<snip> So, I've been rereading and reading some mindless and fun fiction. <snip> book one of The Cat Who series (The Cat Who Could Read Backwards) which I wasn't overly impressed with <snip>
I have a bunch of those on my bookshelves. They were perfect to throw in my purse and carry around to read when I had a few minutes.

I have to stop reading this thread. My wishlist is going to be expensive when my 6 month goal is over.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #12915
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I just started Catching Fire today, I read The Hunger Games a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised.
That's how I felt about it. Didn't really think I would enjoy the series, but was pleasantly surprised, even though ultimately it didn't go in the direction I would have liked it to.

Quote:
So I finish All Quiet on the Western Front. A super read.
Was my favourite book when I was but a youngster. I should really reread it sometime soon.

I'm reading the new Kellerman, Victims, for a bit of light relief before I move on to Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote