Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read a lot in direct sunlight?
Yes, a lot. 71 31.84%
Just a little. 79 35.43%
Almost never. 49 21.97%
Never. 24 10.76%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #46
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
I live in Ireland. What is this "sunlight" thing all of you are talking about? Sounds scary....

I travel for 4 hours on a train once a week, and bought my eReader because I found reading on an LCD screen to be impossible. The light coming in the window caused terrible glare, but not on my lovely eInk screen.

Maybe the poll should be changed to "Do you read in conditions where the lighting would result in glare on an LCD/iPad screen"
don't be skeer'd...it's the same stuff out there on all those lovely golf courses ya got up there....think of it as "luminous shade".
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #47
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
That movie was so sad
Yep, nothing like a kid's movie where all the adults are weeping through the first 20 minutes.

Yes I read outdoors. I take my nook when I go fishing with my husband. He fishes, I read although this is usually next to streams and not big bodies of waters. Not that we have large bodies in the US Mountain West.

When I go to the beach, I usually bring a regular book and not my nook because I wouldn't want sand to get in/on it. But, I very seldom like to just sit and do nothing. That's what books are for.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #48
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
I responded "a little", because about 95% of my reading is not in direct sunlight. However, I went to the beach with my family this summer, and spent about 4 hours a day for a week reading in direct sunlight (with frequent liberal doses of 50spf sunblock). I loved it! Also, while the weather is still good, I sometimes will come home from work and (after dealing with the kids) sit out on the front patio with a cigar and a beer and read. So, late afternoon sunlight. I give the e-ink screen the big thumbs up - an LED screen would have been useless.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I used to take a book to the beach, but here where I live now, I walk down the beach with as little as possible (and for "secure your valuables" reasons, I wouldn't take an ereader). I am usually just going down there to catch waves and then recover and dry off by lying on the beach, eyes-shut or people-watching.

Nowadays I pretty much only read in bed (or very occasionally at the airport or on a plane).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #50
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
There are...bugs!...outdoors. *shudder*

I don't go there unless I have to!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #51
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
I would like very much to read on sunlight ... but since I bought a SONY product and their screen came faulty, I cannot accomplish this. My screen gets washed away ... even inside a car... anywhere where sunlight (or a strong enough light) touches the screen.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #52
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
That sounds like a problem of the screen manufacturer (Vizplex), not Sony.

I’d suggest sending it back.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Hammock, shade, book, beverage; pick any 4.

For book, any format or technology is acceptable, including 'dead tree'.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #54
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Not intentionally. Occasionally I get stuck in the car and it's parked so that I'm right in the sun. If I'm lucky, on those occasions I'll have some knitting project with me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #55
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
On nice days, my favorite spot is out on my deck with a nice tall, cool drink and my Kindle.
I read on my patio as well....but in the shade. I never was one to do much reading sitting out in the sun.

I read outside quite a bit with my iPad

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #56
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
"Direct sunlight" can vary a lot - I read in direct sunlight in winter but in our 40 deg (Celsius) summers I read anywhere cool and shady!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #57
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I read in direct sunshine in winter, when there is any sun. Also on trains - it's surprising how often the sun washes out an LCD screen (maybe not technically direct sunshine, but I think the spirit is there)
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What is a difference between:

Just a little

and
Almost never

If we presume that Never is 0% and Yes, a lot is 100%, where would you place the other two.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What is a difference between:

Just a little

and
Almost never

If we presume that Never is 0% and Yes, a lot is 100%, where would you place the other two.
I forgot to put the reader down when I went to get the mail. Once
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #60
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
The only time that I read outside is on my lunch breaks at work but even then I sit in my car (it's because I can't smoke in the building but even if I didn't smoke I've found it to be a great way to minimize people coming over and bugging me while I'm trying to read).

I voted "Almost never." as I park facing the sun and use a window screen to block most of the light, so I was thinking of the times where I stuck my Reader into the sun light, which have been rare (mostly to check for sun fade). I forgot that in the winter I do not bother with blocking the sun, so perhaps "Just a little." would have been more accurate.

Either way I do my best to avoid sunlight, it's too hot, and much too bright.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote