Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
mlcja
mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kindle
Cool Incorrect characters in ebook viewer

Hello Calibre,
I've noticed that the book viewer in Calibre sometimes shows incorrect font characters. I've seen this on some Epub format books. When I convert to mobi and view on my Kindle, the fonts are ok. So, I assume the problem is with the Calibre viewer, as the original epub file displays ok in Digital Editions Reader. Any ideas? The problem seems be related to certain meta characters not displaying correctly.
mlcja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
May be the font you are using in the viewer haven’t the character. Try to change to another front and check if this will solve your problem.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My guess is that it is just a simple character encoding issue. Is it the case that you are seeing some "weird" A type characters for instance?

If so just do an epub->epub conversion with a windows encoding of cp-1252. It is the calibre ebook viewer that is not detecting the encoding and why they show up correctly in ADE.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
mlcja
mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mlcja can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks kiwidude

I will try your suggestion.
However, I hope Calibre will fix this in a future release.
Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
mlcja

Kiwidude, that did the trick.
thanks!
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcja View Post
I will try your suggestion.
However, I hope Calibre will fix this in a future release.
Thanks again.
FWIW Calibre is not broken.
The book failed to properly declare the encoding. You had to help Calibre 'guess' what to use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
mlcja

>>>FWIW Calibre is not broken.
The book failed to properly declare the encoding. You had to help Calibre 'guess' what to use.<<<

Perhaps I should not have used the word "fix". I'm wondering if Calibre could make a better "guess" to start with, so I don't have to specify the encoding? Maybe there is a way to configure Calibre to do this? I've yet to come across a Epub book that Adobe Digital Editions reader exhibits the same issue. Excuse my ignorance, but why does the Calibre reader guess wrong and ADE guesses right? Just trying to understand better, I can certainly live with the solution that has been provided.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcja View Post
>>>FWIW Calibre is not broken.
The book failed to properly declare the encoding. You had to help Calibre 'guess' what to use.<<<

Perhaps I should not have used the word "fix". I'm wondering if Calibre could make a better "guess" to start with, so I don't have to specify the encoding? Maybe there is a way to configure Calibre to do this? I've yet to come across a Epub book that Adobe Digital Editions reader exhibits the same issue. Excuse my ignorance, but why does the Calibre reader guess wrong and ADE guesses right? Just trying to understand better, I can certainly live with the solution that has been provided.
Now that is just plain odd.
100's of books that Calibre renders correctly and ADE had problems with.
Some with minor errors even caused ADE to crash, while Calibre rendered the file as intended
I have dozens of books tht ADE (on my device) has no suitable font and renders as '?' or just as a blank.
Not once, can I sat that ADE did a better job. Different, but acceptable. Failed, and butt ugly . and the wort f all, Crashed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I've had a few books like that to. ADE, and also FBReader shows the right punctuation, but calibre (and Sigil) shows a funny A.

For one of them I had to set character encoding to cp1052 when converting, but for the others, I just used defaults.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
mlcja

Well, since I'm only seeing the problem on a very few books, and don't read books on my PC very often, I guess I'm all set.
If I wanted to read on a LCD backlit display all the time, I'd buy a Kindle Fire.

Thanks to all that responded!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I actually noticed this on an ebook recently - one I hadn't done any conversion on yet. However, once I made my tweaks (updated metadata, changes to font settings), my conversion cleaned up the issue. I've only noticed it once, though.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote