Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Compere
Compere began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Phone 7, Trekstor Pyrus
Adding real Books

Since i have a large amount of real paper books, i have build a little SQLite Database to hold the info for my Books, such as ISBN Number, Author, Title, Series, Cover and most important, in which Bookshelf they are.

Is it possible to use calibre also for this task? How can i add such a book manualy without to have a digital file and where can i enter information like the bookshelf? Is this possible?

Last edited by Compere; 09-13-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Compere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_b View Post
Since i have a large amount of real paper books, i have build a little SQLite Database to hold the info for my Books, such as ISBN Number, Author, Title, Series, Cover and most important, in which Bookshelf they are.

Is it possible to use calibre also for this task? How can i add such a book manualy without to have a digital file and where can i enter information like the bookshelf? Is this possible?
There are 986 DT books in my Calibre Library.
On the Add Books Icon: Add from ISBN (instructions are on the form ), You can even set a Tag to apply to these mine: <In Paper Library>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
lousignolo
lousignolo began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 7 0b eReader
Quote:

For my own library, I set a text tag type, which I use with the following choices:
  • ebook (which can be read and converted by Calibre...)
  • audio (for empty entries, each for one of my audiobooks, with specific text tags for audio format, number of tracks, length, reader, size, etc.)
  • print (for empty entries, each for one of my printed books, with some specific text tags)
and I should also create other choices as comics, ecomics, newspaper, magazine...

So it should be possible to have a tag as “bookshelf”, used for the books of the 'print' type.
lousignolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Other Formats Column

Quote:

Allowing for overlap(s), I use 2 custom Columns for formats - 1 gives a list of the eBook formats on file for each book, the other currently has fixed choices of None, Paper, Leatherbound, Trade, Hardover, Graphic Novel, Comicbook, Audio, Softcover and Stageplay
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

But do you want to see a list of books you can't put on your reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousignolo View Post
For my own library,[*] audio (for empty entries, each for one of my audiobooks, with specific text tags for audio format, number of tracks, length, reader, size, etc.)
Sheesh - I thought I was organised going through my library manually and getting everything just right, down to the stories in collections and the size of the covers, but you take it to a new level.

Adding real Books
I tried adding a real book to Calibre once, my monitor fell over
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Sheesh - I thought I was organised going through my library manually and getting everything just right, down to the stories in collections and the size of the covers, but you take it to a new level.

Adding real Books
My (short) Monitor is setting ON a real book "The Experts Guide to Windows 95"
Old 01-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Adding real Books
Since the OP posted their query some months ago, I'll direct this at you:

Ebooks are real books!!

As for Jon's post,
Quote:
But do you want to see a list of books you can't put on your reader?
People have been cataloging their books long before e-versions were available. Was this really a serious question? I have hundreds of books in my living room that would be in calibre if I wasn't so intimidated by the task. I need to buy an ISBN scanner or it will simply never get done. I only plan to catalog the non-fiction, which is most of them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Since the OP posted their query some months ago, I'll direct this at you:

Ebooks are real books!!

As for Jon's post,

People have been cataloging their books long before e-versions were available. Was this really a serious question? I have hundreds of books in my living room that would be in calibre if I wasn't so intimidated by the task. I need to buy an ISBN scanner or it will simply never get done. I only plan to catalog the non-fiction, which is most of them.
The scanner is not special for ISBN.
Any good scanner that will do EAN and UPC will do.
What you want is the version that does a: "Keyboard Wedge" mode (most likely, you want a USB model like http://www.barcodediscount.com/catal...r20007r-ur.htm).

What Keyboard Wedge means, is it emulates you typing on your keyboard.
The scanner I showed is what is used in many stores. It is fairly rugged, and reads most codes. Avoid the Contact/Flood (you want to see a Red Line vs Overall glow). Been there, wasted money
I picked up a Used LS4004 (PS/2 wedge) Cheap
Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The scanner is not special for ISBN.
Any good scanner that will do EAN and UPC will do.
What you want is the version that does a: "Keyboard Wedge" mode (most likely, you want a USB model like http://www.barcodediscount.com/catal...r20007r-ur.htm).

What Keyboard Wedge means, is it emulates you typing on your keyboard.
The scanner I showed is what is used in many stores. It is fairly rugged, and reads most codes. Avoid the Contact/Flood (you want to see a Red Line vs Overall glow). Been there, wasted money
I picked up a Used LS4004 (PS/2 wedge) Cheap
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
You may be able to get an app, for your phone that will do the same thing...

http://www.androidtapp.com/barcode-scanner/
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barco...340825499?mt=8

No idea on those, just a search.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
You may be able to get an app, for your phone that will do the same thing...

http://www.androidtapp.com/barcode-scanner/
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barco...340825499?mt=8

No idea on those, just a search.
Thanks, but I already tried that route a while back - the camera on my smartphone isn't good enough to do barcodes. Or QR codes. I spent hours adjusting lighting, etc, and no luck. But it's really good at "stupid pics to post on Facebook".