Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
CypressTiger
CypressTiger began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook Odyssey
Comparing eReaders (Onyx, Hanlin/Astak, Pocketbook)

I have a 5" Astak EZReader and I LOVE it.

My parents are buying me a new eReader for my birthday and now I have finally narrowed it down to a few choices.

I need a reader that supports html, pdf, epub, and txt formats
Has a SD (or micro I guess) expansion slot
and absolutely must support folder navigation.

These are the ones I have narrowed it down to.

1. 6" Hanlin V3+ (it's just a bigger version of what I already have)
2. Onyx Boox A60 (I'm nervous about the touchscreen thing)
3. Pocketbook 360 (the only one with a microsd expansion... not thrilled)
4. 5" Hanlin V5 (yes I know, same one but I have spare batteries)
5. Onyx Boox M90 (I would have to fork over an extra hundred, not thrilled)
6-8. Cybook Opus/Orizon/Gen3 (no PDB support)

What is the best and worst of each of these?

Last edited by CypressTiger; 08-17-2011 at 06:01 PM.
CypressTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
CypressTiger

My other concern is power drainage from wifi.

Does anyone find this a problem? I enjoy not having to charge more than once a month.

Last edited by CypressTiger; 08-17-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I can't tell you straight which is the best or the worst of these devices. But maybe I can help you with a few remarks and questions.

- Wifi does drain the battery but I guess all devices offer the possibility to put it off (and not all of these readers have wifi anyway)

- Why are you nervous about the touchscreen of the Boox A60? It is a wacom touch screen which means that you can't control him with your fingers but that you have to use a special pen. And if you don't want to use the pen you don't need - you can do all operations with the menu ring.

- It's not only the Pocketbook 360 that uses microsd cards but the Cybook Opus, too (and the Pocketbook 602/3 to add another reader to your list, they are 6", the PB360 is 5").

- Will your new reader be a replacement of or a supplement to your old one? And do you want a new reader that you are familiar with (that would reduce the choice to the two Hanlins) or would you rather try something new and something bigger? Maybe you should first decide the screen size and then the reader itself.

- If you don't need the additional screen size (9,7" in comparison to 6") I would immediately exclude the Onyx M90 but I don't know your pdf files and if they need the big screen.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
You won't get a month of battery life with Boox. I think the most I get in standby is a few days and my wifi is always turned off. I mainly use the manual controls when navigating it, which work quite well, and usually just use the touchscreen to search within the book.

Lately I only use the Boox when I read outside and use my Iphone (with stanza app in night mode) the rest of the time.

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the readers in your list have the pearl screen. If I were to buy another reader I would definitely pick one with the newest screen technology.

Last edited by frozennorth; 08-18-2011 at 10:19 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
CypressTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Why are you nervous about the touchscreen of the Boox A60?
I fear how breakable a touchscreen on e-ink might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Will your new reader be a replacement of or a supplement to your old one?
Supplement. I also would prefer to KNOW that the device would work as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
You won't get a month of battery life with Boox.
That's what I feared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the readers in your list have the pearl screen. If I were to buy another reader I would definitely pick one with the newest screen technology.
I was hoping for pearl tech but unfortunately there are few pearl screens out there that actually met my requirements and were within my budget. Boox 90 was the only one that got close. The rest didn't have the right format support.

Thanks for the notes I did stick with the Hanlin (I went up a size to the V3)
I gave serious consideration to the Boox 60 and a tablet PC that fit my requirements but the LCD on the PC would be a hinderance and the touchscreen just made me uncomfortable (yes I understand I don't have to use it but the lingering fear of breakage if I took it anywhere would have made me miserable)

Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
I fear how breakable a touchscreen on e-ink might be.
Don't worry too much. The touchscreen does not make the E Ink screen more or less breakable.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you are wanting PDF support, anything smaller then a 6" screen is going to be fairly useless. In a lot of cases, a 6" screen can be too small also.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote