Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Hey mogui, can I get the plans for that ultrasonic yelper?
There are commercial variants available.

For instance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #17
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Hey mogui, can I get the plans for that ultrasonic yelper?
Save money. Find an operatic girlfriend.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Wind power maybe?
No offense but why would I be weary of a guy called Brainphart talking of wind power!

@mogui

If one really wanted, it would be pretty easy to install solar cells on a reader jacket with all circuitry inside. The problem as I was told was to have the reader accepting the source. I guess a special circuit would do it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Save money. Find an operatic girlfriend.
Wife might object!!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Wife might object!!
Because she doesn't like opera?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Because she doesn't like opera?
Yeah, that's it!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #22
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If one really wanted, it would be pretty easy to install solar cells on a reader jacket with all circuitry inside. The problem as I was told was to have the reader accepting the source. I guess a special circuit would do it.
My Sony Reader power supply outputs 5.2V DC and is rated at 2000 mA. I have not tested the current draw of the reader, but somewhere else a few months ago someone posted a pretty good study. The power plug is simply a standard power and ground connector -- no intelligence involved, so if you supply the correct voltage and can source the current needed, it will work.

My newly found and favorite circuit site has a page of solar charger designs for you to peruse. I hope somebody can whip up one of these designs. it would be so convenient to have a good solar charger for travel. I am hoping to find a source here for electronic tools (everything is 250 V so I cannot import my tools) and start building a few things. it is a great hobby.

Caveat: Without a knowledge of the circuitry of the Reader, one should be careful to match the power specification precisely. The voltage level may be critical to the health of the Reader. Measure the power supply for ripple and voltage drop under load. A common solar cell develops about 0.5V. When placed in series, 11 of them should give you 5.5V. Does this need to be regulated down to 5.2V? Or will it function as a charger as-is? This circuit is as simple as it gets.

Last edited by mogui; 09-20-2007 at 10:53 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're a touch on the pricey side, but have you looked at these?

It seems to me that someone around here mentioned successfully using one of them with the Reader ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They're a touch on the pricey side, but have you looked at these?

It seems to me that someone around here mentioned successfully using one of them with the Reader ....
Thing is that you have to carry and think of carrying something extra. I'd prefer the idea of a jacket that's constantly with the reader where all you have to think about is leaving it exposed to light front side up and plug on the reader just as easily as headphones.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote