Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Sigil not launching in Win XP on VMWare

Since Sigil is running very slow on mac so tried to run it on windows via VMWare on my Macbook pro. It is not launching at all and throwing an error "The application has failed to start because application configuration is incorrect". I've tried to install previous versions such as 0.1.3 and 0.1.4 as well and all gives the same error message.. any one suggestions how to make it run?
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
sachinwalia
Connoisseur

after doing windows upgrade to sp3 and installing .net runtime it starts working. it seems sigil is not compatible with sp2
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
after doing windows upgrade to sp3 and installing .net runtime it starts working. it seems sigil is not compatible with sp2
The .Net runtime is definitely not a dependency, and XP SP2 works just fine with Sigil. Just to be sure I didn't screw something up recently, I tested v0.1.5 on XP SP2 a minute ago, and like I said, it works just fine.

Please don't make such broad statements just because it doesn't work for you in VMWare. Virtualization is far, far from perfect.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
sachinwalia
Connoisseur

I don't think I am making any broad statement here. I am just sharing my experience so that if someone is facing the similar problem as myself, can try this option if need be.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
I don't think I am making any broad statement here. I am just sharing my experience so that if someone is facing the similar problem as myself, can try this option if need be.
Anyway, Sigil 0.1.6 should be up in a few minutes, try it then. It uses the new Qt 4.6 framework, so your problem could be fixed.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
awx
Connoisseur
awx is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS-600
Sigil v0.1.6

Sigil 1.6 gives me this error on launch:
The program can't start because QtXmlPatterns4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
Sigil 1.6 gives me this error on launch:
The program can't start because QtXmlPatterns4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Ah great, Nokia added a new dependency. Would have been nice if this was listed somewhere...

I'll be making replacements then.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
awx
Connoisseur
awx is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS-600
Will there be a 1.6.1 or are you just going to make a new upload of the same version? Are others getting this error?
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
Will there be a 1.6.1 or are you just going to make a new upload of the same version? Are others getting this error?
A new upload. It's already up.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
securitas
securitas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I found on one of my XP machines I needed to download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package from Microsoft. If anyone is still receiving the "The application has failed to start..." error, download the package here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

...and see how that goes.
securitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by securitas View Post
I found on one of my XP machines I needed to download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package from Microsoft. If anyone is still receiving the "The application has failed to start..." error, download the package here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

...and see how that goes.
That package is included and installed as part of Sigil's setup process.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
securitas
securitas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That package is included and installed as part of Sigil's setup process.
If that's the case, then I can't explain why when I subsequently downloaded the MS package and installed it, everything came good. As the error message recommends, I tried reinstalling Sigil over and over again with no success. There seems to be more than one person who has struck this issue, so perhaps there's a problem with the Sigil installation package?

Last edited by securitas; 12-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
securitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by securitas View Post
If that's the case, then I can't explain why when I subsequently downloaded the MS package and installed it, everything came good. As the error message recommends, I tried reinstalling Sigil over and over again with no success. There seems to be more than one person who has struck this issue, so perhaps there's a problem with the Sigil installation package?
It's possible, but unlikely. I thoroughly tested that part of the installer (on several machines) and haven't changed a thing there since. Also, several thousand people have downloaded the Windows versions of Sigil and this is the first time I've heard of anyone having this specific problem.

But now that I think of it, Sigil 0.1.6 could be the exception. This is the first release that uses a version of Qt I haven't compiled myself, and it could be that Nokia used an older version (with regard to service packages) of Visual Studio 2008 and therefore they need a different version of the vcredist runtime libs.

I'll check tomorrow, it's 3 AM where I'm sitting.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
Valloric

So I couldn't help myself and tried it now. I took an XP machine, removed all traces of vcredist libraries and installed Sigil 0.1.6. Everything works as expected.

So I don't know what to tell you.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Dusk
Dusk began at the beginning.

Device: None
(Message removed because I put a support ticket in at the site.)

Last edited by Dusk; 01-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote