Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #331
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Another review for the Aura, but this reviewer isn't too happy with the device.

The reviewer claims it's a luxury e-reader that nobody wanted.
Yeah I just read that review-what an idiot. What gives him the right to say that nobody wants that? His own personal opinion? Judging by the reaction on these forums there are plenty of people who want that. How is something that only costs $40 more than a regular Kobo (with some fairly significant upgrades) a luxury item? Isn't Gizmodo in the pocket of Apple? I knew there was a reason I never go to their website.
Also, if you get a Kobo reader you're "locked into Kobo". Laughable. And yet he praises Amazon which is the one ecosystem that actually does lock you in.

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 04-22-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #332
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by munim View Post
Edit: One thing though: the screen displays an inversion of the black and white screen elements when the whole or a portion of the screen is changed like in the video I've uploaded here:

Is this normal for e-readers?
Unfortunately, yes. eInk screens ghost and the rewrite white/black/white cycle gets rid of the ghosts. Some people are more annoyed by ghosting than others and you can set the page turns between screen cleaning from 1 to 6 however some actions will trigger a screen clean each time.

If it works, the image attached from Wikipedia shows ghosting.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-ink_ghost.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	104826  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-23-2013 at 01:39 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #333
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@JSWolf,

Just to add a bit of anecdotal observation to your hyphenation question... On the Kobo Glo, at my preferred font-size, I find there is rarely more than one word per screenfull which is soft-hyphenated. There are many screens which don't have any.

I took a quick peek at the English hyphenation dictionary (latest fw 2.5) and noticed these two lines at the top of the file
Code:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 5
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 5
I'm assuming this explains why I see relatively few soft-hyphens. (Maybe if my reading preference was for more 'literary works' with big words I'd see more )
Is it easy to modify those two values so hyphenation works better?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #334
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
The author of the article has edited it. He had meant to say from power off instead of sleep. He is saying from sleep it is almost instantaneous.
He still needs to fix the headline Cons "slow to wake up from sleep".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...p#disqus-start
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #335
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It can be changed, but I'm not sure if it is easy. The post after the one you quoted had a link to instructions in German but it has been discussed here before.

But, why do you think the hyphenation needs to be improved? There was a firmware version that had it wrong, but other than that version, it is good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #336
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He sure goes on about the luxury thing. Is that how it's being marketed in Australia or something?
It isn't being sold in Australia yet. It is listed as coming soon but none of the normal retailers that sell Kobo have anything on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Kobo books cost more in Australia than Kindle e-books? That's weird, Kobo e-books are extremely price competitive in Canada.
Kobo ebooks are quite expensive in Australia but I think it has to do with either local publishing agreements, because of the local distributors of Kobo ereaders, or that Australian retailers just like to gouge customers. Collins Books is or was the local partner for Kobo and you find that the Kobo price for any title matches the Collins price. So I have a sneaky suspicion that the two are colluding or Kobo has agreed to price match with Collins so they don't undercut the local distributor. I say 'Collins is or was the local distributor' because, their stores seem to be closing at a fairly rapid rate and there has been no announcement on the Collins site about the Aura so maybe, Kobo is looking for someone else to bring the unit in here. It shouldn't take a genius to realise that Australian ebook customers are not going to simply accept Collins' (and Kobo's) pricing. People here know that you can get a much better deal online via offshore retailers so that is what people do. And... Kobo ereaders let you do that with ease
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #337
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The only place I could find weights is the Future Shop site. They are not exactly famous for accuracy.

Kobo Touch 200 grams
Kobo Glo 190 grams
Kobo Aura 240 grams
Sleep cover Glo 140 grams
Sleep cover Aura 180 grams

I would notice a difference between the Glo with a sleep cover and the Aura with a sleep cover. 90 grams = 3.17 ounces.
Thank you for this!
I couldn't find the weight to compare with my Paperwhite.
Seems rather heavy...Kindle PW is 221 grams and Amazon's sleep cover is 159 grams. I'll now have to reconsider considering Aura
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #338
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Thank you for this!
Seems rather heavy...Kindle PW is 221 grams and Amazon's sleep cover is 159 grams. I'll now have to reconsider considering Aura
It's only a 40g difference. If you don't use a cover then the Aura is actually lighter than your PW and cover.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #339
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's only a 40g difference. If you don't use a cover then the Aura is actually lighter than your PW and cover.
Of course, you are right.
I use the cover and the weight of reader with cover comes also into my consideration of Aura as my "only at home" ereader. I also don't like the look of the back of it, but I am waiting to see the reviews of the people who have it in order to decide if I really want it or not.
I am mainly thinking about it because I have only Kindles and I wanted to have an epub reader as well.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #340
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I read somewhere that it's lighter than my original Keyboard Kindle which I can still handle using weight-wise even with the Tuff-Luv case it sits in.

It beats the pants off my original reader which I reckon is at least the weight of a couple of my readers put together.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #341
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which font is that? I'd like to know so I can avoid it.
Amasis one of the build in fonts, didn't have time to adapt my sideloaded fonts to the new rendering, they are a bit more contrasted in 2.5 aswell.

Quote:
You just have to install/modify the hypenation dictionary, quite simple.
Here is an english thread that explains the procedure:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184838

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 04-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #342
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
My SmartCover has just arrived (UK). Just need the Aura now!
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #343
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Of course, you are right.
I use the cover and the weight of reader with cover comes also into my consideration of Aura as my "only at home" ereader. I also don't like the look of the back of it, but I am waiting to see the reviews of the people who have it in order to decide if I really want it or not.
I am mainly thinking about it because I have only Kindles and I wanted to have an epub reader as well.
I wasn't too keen about the back either but once I actually had it in my hand my opinion changed. The back makes the device very comfortable to hold. Also, in person, the back doesn't look nearly as awkward and bulky as it does in pictures.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #344
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
My SmartCover has just arrived (UK). Just need the Aura now!
Mine too I got my sleep case through this morning I'm East Anglia UK. Hopefully get a mail soon telling me my Aura isn't too far behind!!
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #345
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Thank you for this!
The difference between a Kindle PW and the Aura, both with sleep covers, is 40 grams. That is 1.41 ounces. From my perspective, that is pretty insignificant. The difference between the Glo and the Aura with sleep covers is twice that. Actually, seeing that folks with Kindle PW don't complain about the weight makes me think that the weight of the Aura is probably less of an issue than I thought it would be.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote