Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Mortality by Christopher Hitchens.
That one sounds interesting. I'm always interested in things people write when they believe each word may be their last.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I can be bought. Suggest something for me to read and and appropriate amount of money to...

For a minimal extra charge I can give you a glowing or not so glowing review.

My thoughts exactly.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I can think of a few things I wouldn't read, but they're all in the "disgusting" category—tales of pedophilia, incest, racist books; that kind of garbage. Other than that, I'm pretty much like anyone else who works in the oldest profession in the world. I'll read anything if the pay is right.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster

Too big, not that interesting material until very end. I'll wait for movie. Facebook and moneyball movies were entertaining. Compressed this could be too.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can think of a few things I wouldn't read, but they're all in the "disgusting" category—tales of pedophilia, incest, racist books; that kind of garbage.
I'm with you there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
anything that makes me roll my eyes and exclaim "oh god, not another bleeping elf."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Horror fiction, teen fiction, ghost/vampire fiction, erotic fiction that has no plot, Anything recommended by Oprah or that contains references to Oprah because the author wanted to get on Oprah to plug their book.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-05-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: However if you want to pay off my mortgage, I will READ it as long as I can say I hate it afterwards
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I can think of a few things I wouldn't read, but they're all in the "disgusting" category—tales of pedophilia, incest, racist books; that kind of garbage. Other than that, I'm pretty much like anyone else who works in the oldest profession in the world. I'll read anything if the pay is right.
I agree but if I was paid to read only boring books (by my definition) I would possibly not last too long.

although I read mystery detective books where the perpetrator of the above acts is tracked down and arrested or killed etc. but books that glorify or appear (my opinion only) to appeal to pedophiles, rapists, sadists, or abusers in general, just too gross for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I can think of a few things I wouldn't read, but they're all in the "disgusting" category—tales of pedophilia, incest, racist books; that kind of garbage.
Yes, there's that.

I wish I had the patience to read math books, but, well, I don't.

Anything described with the word paranormal might also be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Any book by a politician, especialy "The Downing street years" by Margarate Thatcher
I'm afraid this post did lead me to search.overdrive.com. No library I have a card for has it, at least as an eBook. But I did see Trenton, New Jersey has it. Their out of area card is $30, and I'm there from time to time. Maybe next year.

Now, if the book was written by a politician from my own country, that would be a much harder sell.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I share your dislike. I picked up the first volume of Piers Anthony's "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series as a freebie. Very early in the book, the protagonist describes being forced to watch the rape of his sister. If I remember correctly, he finds that he enjoys it. I stopped reading then and there and deleted the book.

I'm not going to double-check this. Just too disgusting.

I've heard this series described as a science fiction classic, but I can find more enjoyable things for me to read.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 09-06-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to add this
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Ulysses by James Joyce, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I mean, I guess if you offered me enough money, I would read all the words in the order in which they are written, but if I had to say what the book meant or even what happened in order to get the money, I probably would not get paid.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Ulysses by James Joyce, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I mean, I guess if you offered me enough money, I would read all the words in the order in which they are written, but if I had to say what the book meant or even what happened in order to get the money, I probably would not get paid.

eP
It's not that hard to describe a book, check Woody Allen:

"I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have actually quit my book-club because I hated being forced to read something I didn't like that much. I don't mind reading what somebody else suggested, but I won't finish it when I don't like it. I don't think money will change this.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

I'm afraid this post did lead me to search.overdrive.com. No library I have a card for has it, at least as an eBook. But I did see Trenton, New Jersey has it. Their out of area card is $30, and I'm there from time to time. Maybe next year.

Now, if the book was written by a politician from my own country, that would be a much harder sell.
It's only the first of two volumes. Her memoirs continues in Path to Power where she starts from the beginning. My library has both.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
How about books one wishes one could pay to unread? For me that would be Mike Resnick's _The Branch_.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton