Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It seems more sturdy then the Sony Reader, but... I wouldn't know for certain.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
Crisandria
Crisandria began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Signature Paperwhite, Oasis v1, Scribe
I've got both a sony reader and just got a amazon kindle last week. I've dropped the sony a few times just on the rug and it held up fine, but I did drop it outside once onto brick (just tumbled out of my hand) screen side down. and it cracked the screen and stopped working.

I've just managed to drop my kindle screen side down onto the floor at work (not carpeted) twice. It slipped out of the cover and when trying to get it back into the cover it slipped again. the back came off and the pannel with the keyboard was a little off. I snapped everything back together and other than a crack just above the keyboard it seems fine. Everything is working fine.

While I know the floor is not as hard a the bricks. I think the kindle is pretty sturdy so far. (just can't believe I've only had it a week and already dropped it!)

crisandria
Crisandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisandria View Post
I've got both a sony reader and just got a amazon kindle last week. I've dropped the sony a few times just on the rug and it held up fine, but I did drop it outside once onto brick (just tumbled out of my hand) screen side down.

I've just managed to drop my kindle screen side down onto the floor at work (not carpeted) twice. It slipped out of the cover and when trying to get it back into the cover it slipped again. the back came off and the pannel with the keyboard was a little off. crisandria
Dear Chrisandria, if by some bizzare chance we ever meet, please be so kind as to remind not to land you my fragile Sony Reader!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I've seen a few reports of problems with the Kindle's large "page forward" bars. If you use the large one on the right exclusively, and press only on the very lowest corner, it can warp the edge of the bar down so that it doesn't work.

I've only seen a couple comments about this, and I don't know if the problem is an injection molding problem, a "user pushing too hard" problem or just a general design problem. It does mean I make sure to press the bar in the middle, but then I'm a tall woman with big hands and very long fingers, so it's not really a problem for me. (Yet.)
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had a Sony 505 for a bit over 3 months and just got my Kindle yesterday.
I'm in agreement with everyone on the fact you would not want to drop either one of the devices. The Kindle is plastic and the 505 has a metal case, but the Kindle seems a bit stouter if you know what I mean. As has been said, it would depend on how it landed I think. I have an iPhone I dropped several times and it hit the rug on the floor with no damage. I handed it to a friend and it fell, hit the fireplace mantel and exploded. So, depends on how it lands as I said.

I love the Kindle so far, much more than the 505 and as you stated the wireless is the clincher for me. The 505 feels so disconnected now and I don't think I'll be using it much anymore. I'm betting from what you've said, you will love the Kindle. Let us know when you get it.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
puddinpaws
puddinpaws began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle of 2 months just feel out of the case and hit the floor and no external damage but will not work now. Wonder if I should get a Sony now.
puddinpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinpaws View Post
My Kindle of 2 months just feel out of the case and hit the floor and no external damage but will not work now. Wonder if I should get a Sony now.
You should take advantage of the 1 year warranty and contact Amazon for repair or replacement. Once it's repaired or replaced, use a little bit of velcro to attached the Kindle to it's case, that puppy won't go anywhere without major assistance.

Last edited by daffy4u; 06-14-2008 at 06:29 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I dropped my Kindle (it was in the case, but apparently no securely in the case and slipped out) on the second day I had it.

It hit the stone floor, bounced, and landed screen side down. No damage I could see and it is still working fine.

However, this reinforced my dislike of the case that comes with the Kindle.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
I've seen a few reports of problems with the Kindle's large "page forward" bars. If you use the large one on the right exclusively, and press only on the very lowest corner, it can warp the edge of the bar down so that it doesn't work.

I've only seen a couple comments about this, and I don't know if the problem is an injection molding problem, a "user pushing too hard" problem or just a general design problem. It does mean I make sure to press the bar in the middle, but then I'm a tall woman with big hands and very long fingers, so it's not really a problem for me. (Yet.)
If you look carefully at the "Next Page" bar on the right side and play with it a bit -- even turn it over and examine it from the bottom -- you'll see that it's designed to slide to the right rather than compress down. If you sort of "push" it to the right rather than depressing it, you get better results and avoid warping the right bottom corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinpaws View Post
You should take advantage of the 1 year warranty and contact Amazon for repair or replacement. Once it's repaired or replaced, use a little bit of velcro to attached the Kindle to it's case, it won't go anywhere without major assistance.
Try reseating the battery and then press the reset button on the bottom.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see the nesting of quotes is working but it looks like you're replying to me Elsi and not puddinpaws.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I see the nesting of quotes is working but it looks like you're replying to me Elsi and not puddinpaws.
Actually, I was replying to you. I just worded my response poorly. I wanted to affirm your suggestion to contact Amazon about the warranty -- but first, try the reset actions to see if that would wake up the Kindle. I should have said, First try reseating ...

My Kindle was totally unresponsive when I took it out of my backpack a week or so ago. I was panicked and just sure that it was dead as a doornail. First I turned off the power switch (having left the Kindle simply in stand-by mode), and then I took the back off & removed the SD card. It still wouldn't power on, so I used a pin to push the reset button. This time the Kindle responded and all was well.

Since puddinpaws had dropped the Kindle, I figured that reseating the battery might be a good idea as well.

Then, if nothing else works, contact Amazon. After all, they have that lovely video on the Kindle home page showing how sturdy it is and how dropping it didn't break it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the Kindle was to break out of warranty, can it be repaired or do you have to call it a wash?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

None of them are out of warranty yet (as far as I know). I'm sure they can be repaired depending on the damage but I couldn't guess at the cost.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the Kindle was to break out of warranty, can it be repaired or do you have to call it a wash?
There was a chap here a while ago who dropped his Kindle out of his car, and Amazon told him that it wouldn't be a warranty repair (which is reasonable enough), and that they didn't offer a repair service for non-warranty repairs, which I found very surprising. They are the only eInk device manufacturer not to offer repairs; that would, I must admit, make me think twice about buying one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I've just sent an email to Amazon CS to ask about repairs after the warranty period is up. If they won't do paid repairs, that would be a bad thing. Maybe a repair market or insurance market will open up to take the sting out of replacement.

I'll post when I hear back from them.