Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Broke my 360 already

Well, I got my new 360, and charged it up. It came with 14.2, and I did not change it. I could open the books that came on it, so all was well at that time. Then I tried to add GrayNM's FB 0.9.1 from the sticky. I unzipped the file onto my PC, and following the directions in the readme for selecting between the two fb versions rather than replacing the previous version, I renamed the FBreader file, and copied the system folder and the extensions.cfg to my 360, along with a couple of books to try out. I also removed several books I don't want, and did things like map the keys and set the clock and calendar. (All of the detail so the gurus will know what I did, and possibly where I went wrong.) Then I tried to open a book I had added, and got "Cannot start program." I tried again with a book that had been included, and that I had opened previously, so I knew it was a good file and should work. I got the same message. So I figured I had messed up the new fb install, and removed the system folder (everything I had added, nothing else). I tried again to open the "known good" book, and get the same message. This happens with non-drm epub and fb2 books. What did I do and how do I undo it?

I got it registered with ADE, and it shows up there on my PC. But ADE won't let me copy DRM'd books, only non-DRM. I hadn't tried this before, so I don't know if it would have done better before I did whatever I did.

Last edited by MmavisO; 06-05-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: to add
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Well, I got my new 360, and charged it up. It came with 14.2, and I did not change it. I could open the books that came on it, so all was well at that time. Then I tried to add GrayNM's FB 0.9.1 from the sticky. I unzipped the file onto my PC, and following the directions in the readme for selecting between the two fb versions rather than replacing the previous version, I renamed the FBreader file, and copied the system folder and the extensions.cfg to my 360, along with a couple of books to try out. I also removed several books I don't want, and did things like map the keys and set the clock and calendar. (All of the detail so the gurus will know what I did, and possibly where I went wrong.) Then I tried to open a book I had added, and got "Cannot start program." I tried again with a book that had been included, and that I had opened previously, so I knew it was a good file and should work. I got the same message. So I figured I had messed up the new fb install, and removed the system folder (everything I had added, nothing else). I tried again to open the "known good" book, and get the same message. This happens with non-drm epub and fb2 books. What did I do and how do I undo it?

I got it registered with ADE, and it shows up there on my PC. But ADE won't let me copy DRM'd books, only non-DRM. I hadn't tried this before, so I don't know if it would have done better before I did whatever I did.
Ouch
Something in your installation of the FBReader went clearly wrong, hence the "Cannot start program". Now, deleting, the system folder was not relly a clever action, though, because there are some weally important "system" files in tht folder. Solution: Reinstall the firmware. To install graynm's app, you have to take care, because graynm'y extensions.cfg is faulty for us non-russians, as it doesn't use adobeviewer, therefore no DRM. I just realised that now, when I checked the file. So CAUTION everybody. Do not blindly use graynm's config.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have my memory card yet, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to reinstall the firmware. The only reason I deleted the system folder is because I had copied it over in the first place and all that I saw in it was what I had copied. I had read here somewhere that if you didn't like the new FB reader you could just delete the folder, but I guess I read wrong or misunderstood something.

So is the new FB 0.9.1 not ready in English? How about 9.0? Is that extensions.cfg file OK to use? Assuming I get brave enough to ever try upgrading, that is.

Thanks for the reinstall suggestion; I'll definitely try it tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
You do not need to wait for a SD Card.
Just do a Hardreset.

1. Connect to Power and switch device off
2. Push + Hold "OK" AND "Large Upper" Keys
3. Switch Power on
4. Release the Both pressed Key when Messages apear on the screen
5. Wait.......about 10min.
When Hardreset is done device restarts and everything is as it was on delivery.

Beware: Books and Settings are gone. De-authorize DRM if necessary.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
You do not need to wait for a SD Card.
Just do a Hardreset.

2. Push + Hold "OK" AND "Large Upper" Keys
3. Switch Power on

Beware: Books and Settings are gone. De-authorize DRM if necessary.
Yeah,that's definitely a possibility, too
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
MmavisO
Seeker

Well, I guess I messed it up royally. I tried Schnitzelbrain's suggestion (several times) but it would never reboot on its own. I either got a message that it was running in safe mode and the changes would take effect after it rebooted (waited 30 min and nothing happened) or it would just shut itself off right away. So I tried reflashing the 14.2 firmware. It said it was successful, but it didn't help. I even tried a hard reset again, but it now just looks for the firmware update on the card, doesn't find one, and goes on. But I still can't open any books at all. So I guess it's off to the service center for me.

Thanks for trying.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Well, I guess I messed it up royally. I tried Schnitzelbrain's suggestion (several times) but it would never reboot on its own. I either got a message that it was running in safe mode and the changes would take effect after it rebooted (waited 30 min and nothing happened) or it would just shut itself off right away. So I tried reflashing the 14.2 firmware. It said it was successful, but it didn't help. I even tried a hard reset again, but it now just looks for the firmware update on the card, doesn't find one, and goes on. But I still can't open any books at all. So I guess it's off to the service center for me.

Thanks for trying.
SOOORRY the one I told u was for Firmware update. The procedure is the same exept u have to press the lower large key

2. Push + Hold "OK" AND "Large lower" Key
3. Switch Power on

Sooory again, should work, try it please
Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
SOOORRY the one I told u was for Firmware update. The procedure is the same exept u have to press the lower large key

2. Push + Hold "OK" AND "Large lower" Key
3. Switch Power on

Sooory again, should work, try it please
I had to do this yesterday (the hard reset) and I can tell you, it works fine (even for firmware version 15.2). Just use the LOWER wing button...

I had to do it because somehow I completely mucked up my FBreader - to the point it Would. Not. Work - even after removing the FBreader app from the PB360. I could access Adobe, but nothing for FBreader. I could NOT figure out what I had done (I guess I somehow messed up the new FBreader update GrayNM put out). No book would open, whether it was on the device or the SD card. It would flash and then (I swear!) laugh at me! I was this close - || - to having to send the reader back is how messed up I got my new (!) toy.

So, MmavisO, do give a full reset a try. You WILL lose everything you've got on your device, but I'll lay you even odds you'll get your PB360 back to responding. Then, you'll just have to start over again ... which is still easier than sending it back, yeah?

Oh, and it'll probably come back in a foreign language (mine was German). Just go to your Settings (it'll be the bottom right icon) - Language (second line) and select your language as your first step. I gave you their locations because you probably can't read the foreign language...

The good news is I figured out what I did wrong and now FBreader is working fine (didn't put that .cfg file in the right place).

And, my thanks to you, Schnitzelbrain and mtravellerh, for trying to help MmavisO. Your advice to him about a hard reset saved me countless frustrations (and a possible return of the device).

Let us know if this works and good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. Of course, a hard reset will remove any authorization you have from Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to access/read DRM material. You'll have to re-authorize the PB360 from your computer/ADE...

Last edited by Mickey330; 06-06-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
MmavisO
Seeker

Woohoo! It worked! And Mickey, it came back in English, with different books than I had originally. I had had a mix of French, English, and Russian books, but now they are all English. And interestly enough, the original English book is not there now. But that's OK; before I started playing around, I copied all the books off, just in case. In any case, I can now open my books.

So now I have a fresh, clean, unmucked with 360 to play with! Thank you all so much! and Schnitzel, don't worry about the mistake. It's taken care of now, and you were a big help.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Phew, great that it worked finally out.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
And the rest of us now have a better idea of what to do when we run into serious trouble or just to clean up after ourselves.

(I like to restore all my computers to factory spec once a year as a matter of principle and I've been thinking of doing a total restore on the PB360 once 15.x gets stabilized.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
... Woohoo! It worked! ...
Hurray!

[Doing the happy dance...!]

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote