Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
heckenhocker
heckenhocker began at the beginning.

Question Simple questions from non-techie-newbie!

Hi,

I'm very tempted by the iLiad for carting study materials around (PDFs). But I've got some idiot-level questions...hopefully someone is kind enough to humour me

(1) I want to have fiction books too. www.ebooks.com seems to have a good range. Does the AdobeReader version of books from here work on an iLiad?

If not...where do I get ebooks from ?

(2) Anyone tried highlighting text in a PDF? I assume the highlighting stays in place for when you next open that document? And does highlighting show up if you print the document (I have print rights on my study PDFs)

(3) Is there some sort of "bookmark" function? So if I'm reading and get to page 45, then stop reading (reader goes into standby?). When I re-start, does the book re-open at page 45, or do I need to remember my page number? Or add some sort of marker at the closing page?

See....told you they were basic questions! Thanks in advance for your help
heckenhocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK...this is going to be hard...

The Iliad is still very unfinished on the software side...so, most of your questions have to get the "not yet" answer...

1) those ebooks will not work out of the box yet...you need to remove the DRM and reformat them to fit the Iliad screen dimensions...rather use Baen or Gutenberg books for the moment, DRM support is under development but nobody knows what/when we will get. Buying .lit (microsoft reader) books works, but it still is a lot of hassle to rip them to HTML and reformat them and convert them to PDF...not for everybody...

2) Highlighting in Text is not possible at the moment. Whether it will be...nobody knows.

3) There is no bookmark function...yet...but the reader remembers the last page you viewed for every document and when you open the file again it returns there. There is no standby mode yet, you have to shutdown and reboot your Iliad to save battery at the moment...this takes rahter long...
Powersaving is not implemented..yet...so you only get about 10 hours of reading time with the Iliad right now.

Please also keep in mind that the Iliad screen (12x15cm useable space) works best with Content that is formatted for that screen size. There is a Zoom and Pan function, but no text-reflow...yet...^^

I hope you can make sense out of what I write.
Please do not think that the Iliad is a bad device...it's very nice actually, but the software still lacks a lot of important features...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
heckenhocker
heckenhocker began at the beginning.

thanks!

Hi,

thanks for the reply. And yes, I do understand what you have written (after a bit of consultation with google!) Ripping .lit to HTML sounds possible but rather annoying...

Sounds like I might wait a few more months for the software to become a little more idiot-friendly

Herzlichen Dank!
heckenhocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Hey, heckenhocker, welcome @ mobileread.
CommanderROR forgot to mention pdf viewer supports hyperlinks. That is a great help.

Well, iLiad completely changed my reading habits.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote