Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My bank provides me a Visa and/or Mastercard branded debit card too. I just use it like a credit card but it is accepted as a Visa. Also, when I use it as a credit card I don't have to pay debit card fees.

BOb
The reason I was asking was to know whether Visa was phasing out the Electron brand, as a few years ago there was no Visa only Debit card as far as I'm aware.

And Debit card fees? It that a monthly fee, or just an interest charge on any mony borrowed?

In the UK, Debit cards are issued for most if not all bank accounts free of charge, and there is usually no fee when using it to pay for purchases. Some small sellers do impose a surcharge, but nowadays its usually been for credit cards, not Debit cards. The only charge is if you overdraw you account and have to pay a un arranged borrowing fee.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Some interesting info here, particularly for the UK users who have Visa branded debit cards. No joy for those of us with Switch/Maestro, it seems, though

PilotBob - how do you generate this "one time use" credit card number in Paypal? I'm searching the site and can't find out how, and this might be an answer to my problems!
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
And Debit card fees? It that a monthly fee, or just an interest charge on any mony borrowed?
Generally here in the US... unless it has changed there is usually a per-transaction fee to use your debit card. It could be $.25-$3 depending on the merchant/bank.

There is no borrowed money (credit) with the debit card... so no interest. The card is declined in the balance won't cover it.

I also got my son a "pre-paid" Visa card for while he is at college. I (banks software) automatically put $x on it every month out of my checking account. He uses it as a Visa for incidental stuff. It has zero fees but there is no credit line, you can't charge more than the current balance. (I love my bank.)

I'm not sure about the Electron brand.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker View Post
PilotBob - how do you generate this "one time use" credit card number in Paypal? I'm searching the site and can't find out how, and this might be an answer to my problems!
Lets see... when you log in... on the left side go to PayPal Plugins. Then on the left again select "secure cards".

Then on the right under the secure cards title there is a little menu. Click on "Generate a New Card". It will ask you if you want "single use" or "multi-use". The primary source will be listed as your PalPay balance... I don't think you can change that. Secondary source you choose one of your verified bank accounts. Actually, it doesn't even list my credit cards as a source... so you must not need a CC registered to use this.

There is also a browser plug-in you can install. I know it works for Windows and IE... not sure if it supports firefox or not... so you can gerate them on the fly as needed.

good luck,
BOb
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Is the Visa card you are using a replacement for the Visa Electron cards they used to issue, or completely separate ?
Yep. they replaced the Electron card.

Last edited by Gibbo; 01-14-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Generally here in the US... unless it has changed there is usually a per-transaction fee to use your debit card. It could be $.25-$3 depending on the merchant/bank.

There is no borrowed money (credit) with the debit card... so no interest. The card is declined in the balance won't cover it.

I'm not sure about the Electron brand.

BOb
Ouch on the per transaction fees. I Guess it reflects the difference in cultures, that most people here use debit cards for everything, almost never using cash. Banks have cottoned onto that,and made Debit cards easily available, and something I love have mostly scrapped ATM fees, and with peering agreements, I've not had to pay a ATM fee in years, no matter which banks ATM I use.

I think credit cards are a little harder to get, not that much but a little.

Also, while Debit cards don't have a credit limit, you can pretty easily get a bank overdraft, turning you current account into a pseudo Credit card, at least for me as I tend to keep most of my money in my savings account, just transferring over enough every month to cover expenses.

Oh, and you can use some debit cards as Cheque Gurantee cards, though I've never had to use it that way and seen someone use it for that in real life.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Some interesting info here, particularly for the UK users who have Visa branded debit cards. No joy for those of us with Switch/Maestro, it seems, though
Indeed, we Switch / Maestro will have to look for other options at times like this

Speaking of other options, have you checked out those books at

www.cyberread.com

There is a new code (Valid till 21/1/2009) which will give you 50% off your purchases. The code is: MREAD1

Clint just announced that they've just started accepting paypal, so its a viable option.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Lets see... when you log in... on the left side go to PayPal Plugins. Then on the left again select "secure cards".

Then on the right under the secure cards title there is a little menu. Click on "Generate a New Card". It will ask you if you want "single use" or "multi-use". The primary source will be listed as your PalPay balance... I don't think you can change that. Secondary source you choose one of your verified bank accounts. Actually, it doesn't even list my credit cards as a source... so you must not need a CC registered to use this.

There is also a browser plug-in you can install. I know it works for Windows and IE... not sure if it supports firefox or not... so you can gerate them on the fly as needed.

good luck,
BOb
Thanks for the info, Bob, but these options don't appear to exist in the UK Paypal site. If they are present, then they're buried somewhere else in the site. I'll have a dig around and let you know how I get on.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Bob, but these options don't appear to exist in the UK Paypal site. If they are present, then they're buried somewhere else in the site. I'll have a dig around and let you know how I get on.
I guess it could be a US only feature.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/pa...card-20071120/

Perhaps send them email and ask them if you can use the "secure cards" option with your account.

BOb
Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps send them email and ask them if you can use the "secure cards" option with your account.

BOb
Hmm, Croker's right that Paypal Uk / Europe does not appear to off the One time credit card feature yet.

What they do offer is their own Credit Card (Mastercard) which you can apply for, or their Paypal Top Up card, which is apparently a VISA debit card similar to what we were talking about earlier in the thread.

Links

Paypal Topup Card
Paypal Credit Card
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:

BOb
Looking around on the net, despite the Paypal plug-in being released for US users towards the end of 2007, not one other nation on Earth (including Canada!) can use it over 14 months later. Shameful!

EDIT: Ah, I see bbusybookworm's discovered what I have, too. There's no way I'm applying for a Paypal Mastercard or Debit card, though. A more cynical man than I would suggest that withholding the plugin might mean that overseas users actually apply for Paypal's Mastercard, rather than use secure cards, but clearly I'm not that cynical. Obviously.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
I cannot speak for all banks, but only my personal experience. I have had Visa and Mastercard debit cards (3 Visa, 1 MC) at three different banks in two states, and while they do have fees, it is only to withdraw cash at ATMs that do not belong to my own bank's network.

Well, now that I think about it, a few retailers used to charge extra for debit cards (mostly fast food places, if I recall), but I have not seen that in a few years.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense.

However, for clarity's sake, the WH Smith ebook site will not let you buy the book in Firefox - you can add it to your basket, but that's all. If you try to proceed to checkout in Firefox with a .lit book in your basket, it refuses to play ball.

Hope that's clear!
I have bought about 12 ebooks from WH Smiths(most during their 50% off sale) and had no trouble buying and downloading PDF and Epub titles with Adobe DE and I only use Firefox.
I know that it won't let you proceed to checkout unless all address lines are filled out prior to checkout which is a bit odd.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #29
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Paypal have the topup visa card it costs a few £ to start and topup but not a lot you might be able to get round it with one I always used to use debit card but some scumbag cloned my business one and cleaned me out and the overdraft I got everything back but it was the 5 weeks wait and getting new cards and the mess sorting everything out so all my payments on the internet is done with credit card and I try to pay of every month but gone a bit mad this month so its a little over but not too much
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I have bought about 12 ebooks from WH Smiths(most during their 50% off sale) and had no trouble buying and downloading PDF and Epub titles with Adobe DE and I only use Firefox.
I know that it won't let you proceed to checkout unless all address lines are filled out prior to checkout which is a bit odd.
Sorry, I should have been clearer there - at that point in the discussion, I was referring to .lit files from WH Smith's ebook site. Although you can add them to your basket in Firefox, you can't (in my experience) even start the payment process prior to downloading them. It gives you the error I mentioned about the Reader not being authenticated (when it is) whenever you click to go to the checkout section.

I'll take your word that you can buy PDF and ePUB titles through Firefox without issue, though - as I don't have any valid payment methods for Smiths, I can't check that! Cheers for the info, though.

I'd forgotten all about that quirk with the address, too - another (albeit minor this time) irritation.