Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
General Question About Ebooks from Baen

Hi Everyone,

I was looking into purchasing some electronic books from Baen since I've seen Baen mentioned and recommended many times in this forum. However, after browsing their website I just had a few questions I thought some of you might be able to clear up.

I was looking at their websubcriptions site and wanted to just order an individual book. It mentions that the final published book will be available in many electronic formats including the kindle, sony lrf, MS reader etc. I was wondering if I purchase the book once, do I only get to pick to download it in only one format or can I download several copies of the book in differing formats? Also, do I get an account history where I can re-download any books I buy or can I only download a title once or perhaps only get a limited number of downloads?

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can offer. Still kinda new to this electronic stuff.=)
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was looking into purchasing some electronic books from Baen since I've seen Baen mentioned and recommended many times in this forum. However, after browsing their website I just had a few questions I thought some of you might be able to clear up.

I was looking at their websubcriptions site and wanted to just order an individual book. It mentions that the final published book will be available in many electronic formats including the kindle, sony lrf, MS reader etc. I was wondering if I purchase the book once, do I only get to pick to download it in only one format or can I download several copies of the book in differing formats? Also, do I get an account history where I can re-download any books I buy or can I only download a title once or perhaps only get a limited number of downloads?

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can offer. Still kinda new to this electronic stuff.=)
Nope, you can always log in to your account at Baen and re-download anything you've purchased, or anything in the Baen Free Library. You can download in any format available. Occaisionally, the ebook will be updated, and you'd find it worthwhile getting again, even if you already have that format (this usually happens when one of a couple of authors is informed of an error in the hardback version, and makes a correction in the mmpb. Some of the 1632 books are especially ripe for this, and the pb version is considered "more canon" than the hardback.)

The only time you might not be able to download is due to net connectivity - one time a bad break in a fiber cable hit a lot of sites - or server crash, or maybe software update.

And, the newest software has an "order history" that allows you to see how and when you actually bought something. The history also has a link to let you re-download each order (but the "first" order for a lot of people was everything that had been in their account at the time of the last server software update.... a pretty big download.)

Lot of people download in 2 or 3 different formats, one for their current devices, and whatever format they consider the best to archive.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. Baen seems to be doing pretty well in giving its customer flexibility when it comes to electronic books. If only more stores were like that.

I also didn't see the general talk section till after I made the post. I apologize if I posted in the wrong section. All this reading is probably affecting my eye sight. =)

Last edited by MerLock; 04-14-2008 at 10:54 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote