Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
New Binatone 7" Colour LCD in Argos (UK/Ireland)

Spotted these on the Argos website yesterday:
Binatone 7 Inch Colour Screen e-Book: Black
Binatone 7 Inch Colour Screen e-Book: White
  • £99.99 (€137.99)
  • Adjustable text size.
  • 7in screen.
  • Stores between 1000 and 10 000 books.
  • 9 hours battery life.
  • Compatible with Windows PC and Mac.
  • Includes USB cable.
  • Weight 230g.
  • Size H22, W13, D1.4cm
They don't actually give much in the way of useful information. What formats are supported? What is the actual memory size?

On the one hand, it's a really light 7" LCD for under a hundred quid. On the other hand, their Read Me ebook was useless. Hmmm....
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Picked one up in Argos. It's called the "ReadMe Daily".

More specs:
  • TFT colour screen
  • 2GB internal memory with a microSD slot that supports up to 16GB
  • Built in speaker and music player
  • Supported file types: TXT, PDF, HTML, CHM, RTF, FB2, EPUB, WORD, TCR, PAML DOC, OPEN E-BOOK, OPEN READER and MOBI
  • Supported video: H.264, MPEG-4
  • Supports Adobe Digital editions.
  • Box also contains case/cover, earpiece, charger and USB cable
Sounds pretty good, right? Well I wouldn't know. The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was that the screen was badly scratched. I haven't bothered to charge it. I'll bring it back to Argos tomorrow, and I have a feeling they won't manage to produce one that doesn't have any scratches. "Cheap" doesn't even begin to describe the quality of the thing
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
nastyk
nastyk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hello,

Interested in hearing how you got on with this as I was interested in buying one.

I went to see one at my local argos but the sales person refused to power on the device and was also told no returns were allowed in case I didn't like the device. Its seems a little too good value for money.

Cheers, n
nastyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
paganpete
paganpete began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone Readme Daily
Hi, I got one of these for xmas from my wife and to be honest it's my first ereader and it seems to be pretty good, a bit clunky but so far so good.

Not tried the movie playback etc as that does not interest me.

Readability is good - turn the brightness down a bit to avoid eye strain and you can read for hours, my only problem seems to be poor formatting in some books - hyphens everywhere (I hate hyphens) on some, in fact the only book so far that is pretty much perfect viewing is 'The Painted Man' by Peter V brett (excellent book to boot), so it seems the main issue is with lazy publishers not doing their job properly.

It reads epub, mobi, PDF etc (but I am not liking pdf's too much - prefer epub).

So all in all it's not bad - needs a firmware update I reckon but its good for me!

Hope that helps.
paganpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I don't know about this unit, but Binatone are known for producing cheap, and often poorly made, consumer electronics. I would never buy anything made by them - it's probably a false economy.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ... nastyk & paganpete
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
paganpete

Thanks GeoffC!

To be honest TGS most companies will produce 'cheap and nasty' when they can get away with it - it's just a matter of sucking it and seeing - if it breaks in a month or two then I will get something else, but for now everything deserves a chance!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It looks to be one of the generic Chinese-made 7" Android tablets that are flooding the market now. They're certainly good value for money, but as with most things, you get what you pay for, and in this case you're not paying very much.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
paganpete

True Harry, I think it was about £80 - not sure if it's android though (not as easy to use as my HTC Desire :-) )
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
nastyk

Cheers, GeoffC

They have it now in some stores for £70. Not sure how well it handles pdfs though or how fast it boots up. Maybe paganpete could comment

I suppose you can use calibre to convert pdfs to epubs

Anyway thanks to all for their comments

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
paganpete

Hi Nastyk

Boot up is around 8-10 seconds on average, PDF's are ok but nothing special - I used calibre to convert some to epub (as generic) and they were better indeed - worth a try for £70 -you can always take it back if it is not 'working properly'!

I am quite happy with mine but I have never tried any other reader.

Hope that helps
Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
nastyk

Hi Paganpete,

I finally picked one up today and its not at all bad for the price.

All of the files I intend reading - pdfs, chm and epub etc appear to work pretty well. The screen contrast can be changed so reading and battery life can be slightly improved.

One the whole I'm pleased with it and would ask anyone interested to at least take a look. The daft Argos policy of non-return or not having a device on display may put some people off but at £70 I think its a good buy.

Cheers N
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
hi

have a look at the elonex 700eb its around the same price and is an excellent bit of kit
got mine from asda online.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
paganpete

Hi Mpd, The elonex looks very similar to the binatone one as well - identical specs almost - the firmware seems to be better on the elonex (wonder if it would work on the binatone :-) )
Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
A satisfied customer and that's all that matter ... .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote