Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
jetBook durability

One impression that came out strongly for me while researching reading devices early on is how fragile many of them seem to be. I feel the jetBook seems pretty rugged. I wonder how other jetBook owners feel about the ruggedness of their devices?
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I don't hesitate to carry mine around in my trousers pocket, screen on the inside. Of course I don't carry my keys in the same pocket.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I bought a Jetbook for my 14-year-old daughter. The substrate got cracked just carrying around in her purse. (In the sleeve, FWIW.) She doesn't know how; something must've bumped it. She doesn't bang her purse around, but neither was she exceedingly careful with it, which is apparently what was necessary.

It's not covered by warranty, and we can't afford to replace it, so she's sans ebook reader for the moment, and we're looking into other options. I'm debating between a REB 1100 and a Clié PDA for her. (The drawback of the Clié is that her school will likely consider it a type of cellphone and forbid use during class. Less chance of that with an obvious ebook device.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I bought a Jetbook for my 14-year-old daughter. The substrate got cracked just carrying around in her purse. (In the sleeve, FWIW.) She doesn't know how; something must've bumped it. She doesn't bang her purse around, but neither was she exceedingly careful with it, which is apparently what was necessary.

It's not covered by warranty, and we can't afford to replace it, so she's sans ebook reader for the moment, and we're looking into other options. I'm debating between a REB 1100 and a Clié PDA for her. (The drawback of the Clié is that her school will likely consider it a type of cellphone and forbid use during class. Less chance of that with an obvious ebook device.)
..too bad. You may try "open box" jetBook from NewEgg for $139 only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16858723001R
I think the price is the same as for Clie PDA

Last edited by Kris777; 09-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
..too bad. You may try "open box" jetBook from NewEgg for $139 only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16858723001R
I think the price is the same as for Clie PDA
Clies are out of production, but used ones go for $25-50 via Craigslist in my area. I own three, in various states of semi-functional. (One won't recharge unless it's held at a specific angle; one has screen problems; one is fine, except for being black & white and running on AA batteries.)

Not going to replace the accidentally-broken device with one that's just as easily broken again. I'm waiting for the tech to get more sturdy before getting her a more-than-$100 ebook reader. And she may wind up with a netbook instead; she's used to reading on computer screens.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
then for netbooks I suggest this link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...99&Order=PRICE

check back at 11 EST (what is that 8 pst?) where about 3 times a week they put up new laptops, they have been selling MSI winds/ Asus EEE 10 inch netbooks for about 210 bucks, and 9 inchers as low as 160 that I've seen. They sell out fast, ussually less than an hour, people snipe them like Ebay auctions.. for I guess resale on ebay and make a few bucks.

My girlfriends sister got the 10 inch EEE from them and its perfect, as well as someone who I've never met who I've heard back through friends that they were very happy with it. I also bought my laptop from them and open box, the one I'm currently typing this on.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the link; I'll tag it to check later. When we're in the market for netbooks, I'll be checking Newegg and pestering geeky friends for advice. Right now, it's all too expensive.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #8
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:

Sell it for parts. Might find someone like me who would want to take it apart just to see how it ticks.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
With the exception of Elfwreck's unfortunate luck, I think the general consensus (backed with experience) is that the Jetbook is among the more durable readers out there -- at least until e-ink readers with plastic substrates come out.

I am not very gentle with mine, and have dropped it on hard floors several times and aside from a scuff on the plastic, it has come through with flying colors.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:

Substrate. Is the screen ok?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
substrate is the screen.

think of screens like this

a Glass brick wall.

but instead of each brick being independent from the rest, the back of all the bricks have a single glass sheet. that sheet being the substrate. if that sheet breaks, then the circuitry doesn't work and you have one dead screen
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
substrate is the screen.

think of screens like this

a Glass brick wall.

but instead of each brick being independent from the rest, the back of all the bricks have a single glass sheet. that sheet being the substrate. if that sheet breaks, then the circuitry doesn't work and you have one dead screen
But if the TFT screen itself is ok.... For all those jetbooks with broken screens.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
But if the TFT screen itself is ok.... For all those jetbooks with broken screens.
I'm sorry I don't follow what your saying.

but the screen is not okay if the substrate is broken.
see this image, http://www.mopo.ca/uploaded_images/b...een-754937.jpg

see how the break in the screen seems like broken glass? that's cause that's what the substrate is Glass (some times plastic, but it's a plastic as hard as glass and just as shatterable, they are developing bendable plastic substrates)
Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Xerxes
Addict

Oh ok. I thought you meant like the internal circuit board type stuff, BEHIND the screen.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No cracks on the outside of the screen. Touching the screen moves squishy ink-stuff around in cracks under the surface. (I'd give a pic but I don't have it with me here at work.)

Should offer it somewhere for parts. And probably eventually replace it with a netbook; kid needs ability to take notes more than long battery life, and she has young eyes that don't mind staring at lighted screens for hours on end.