Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #91
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I can't see DRM being an issue for someone who buys a book, reads it, then gives it away. I don't reread general fiction, biographies, or many other kinds of books EVER, so wouldn't even bother making the effort to remove the DRM. However, for those books that family members might read (mystery, thriller, crime, fantasy, sci fi, paranormal), I would make the effort to remove the DRM so that they could read it on their chosen device.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #92
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If a time ever comes that I have read all the books I currently want to read, or all of the books that I think I may want to read, or all of the unwritten or as yet unpublished books by my favorite authors, then I will get into rereading perhaps or find another form of entertainment.

Too many books, too little time.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #93
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I only re-read books that I completely enjoyed the first time through. Or if it has been over 10 years and I can't remember what it was about
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #94
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Locking the door of physical bookstores also puts a burden on the paying customer. If everyone was like me, they could trust that the money would be put near the register when I, on rare occasion, took a book during unstaffed hours. But because they don't trust the public, they have to lock doors, put in alarms, spy on customers with mirrors, threaten to jail shoplifters, and so forth. There may be an ultra-low-crime area on this planet where a bookstores does, quietly and without publicity, welcome customers when unstaffed. But, generally, it would reduce revenue.

As far as I can see, a lock on the door is no more or less a sign of distrusting readers than is DRM.
I haven't paid for the bookstore. Before you have my money, you may inconvenience me all you wish.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #95
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I can't see DRM being an issue for someone who buys a book, reads it, then gives it away. I don't reread general fiction, biographies, or many other kinds of books EVER, so wouldn't even bother making the effort to remove the DRM. However, for those books that family members might read (mystery, thriller, crime, fantasy, sci fi, paranormal), I would make the effort to remove the DRM so that they could read it on their chosen device.
I have 2 readers, one Kindle, one Epub. And I switch between them, I use the Kindle at home and the Irex when I am traveling. The only way this works for me is with DRM removal.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #96
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I don't re-read much. The main reason I remove DRM is to change the formatting. My pet hates are blank lines between paragraphs, and too wide margins, both of which I fix in any ebook I buy.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #97
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Hm. There are books I reread often, like several of LM Bujolds books, CJ Cherryh, Lee&Miller, Modesitt, because I find new angles and depths and connections in them every time. Then there's those I start to read but realize I've read them before and they're not good enough to reread. Then of course there are the books I never finish, can't reread those!

Finally there's the smallest group of all, those that are "read-once, rememeber-forever", Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay for instance. They made such an impression the first time through that I only need see the cover to remember the plot and the pain and the despair and the tragedy and the beauty, so I never need reread those, it'd be too exhausting emotionally.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #98
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You mean you buy the eBook, read it, and then if you want to reread it you buy the hardback? That seems like a very expensive way of doing things; you've already bought the eBook; what's the point of then buying the hardback?
Not very expensive, 99% of novels that I read I'm not going to reread. An ebook is just a digital file, a hardcover has quality exceeding that and you can share with people. Ebooks save on storage space, other than that I don't consider them the equal of paper books.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #99
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
I care about DRM.
Meaning: I don't like it at all ("hate" probably would be a bit too harsh, but close to it).
I don't have any problems with copy protection and similar mechanisms. I only worry about the DRM-schemes we have today. For example, Kindle app on my Sony Tablet S did wipe my entire library. My only guess: I haven't been online and identification may have failed. I could re-download them again of course, but this very vacation (without WiFi) was kind of ruined.

But: Although I don't like DRM, I don't strip my books from DRM anymore.
Even if I want to re-read them later on - which I do quite often. I rather read a good book for a second (or third) time, than a mediocre one for the first time. As a child, I've read "Robinson Crusoe" about 6 times.

In the very beginning, I've stripped all my eBooks from DRM.
I still have the tools for that and I even have this an action item on my ToDo-list.
Still: I haven't done so for maybe 2 years.
I simply don't bother to download the books to my PC anymore.
I download them directly on my tablets or readers.
Downloading again on the PC, stripping from DRM, adding to calibre, tuning the metadata and converting to other formats simply is too time-consuming.

And: I mainly buy from the "big ones", such as Amazon. I'm somewhat optimistic, they'll stay in business and won't block my library.
And: Realistically, I won't care in about 5 years anymore. Technologies usually fade within less than 10 years. I haven't touched my >600 DVDs for at least 5 years...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #100
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I rarely reread, but I will rebrowse a book (like previous in a series before the next release.)

I care mildly about DRM, just not enough to rant and rave or get my blood pressure up. Too much else in my life takes priority of my emotions right now.

"If you havin' book problems I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 problems and DRM aint one". bastardized from Jay Z.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #101
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
This is a disingenuous question. There is no similarity between music and reading. One appeals to the intellect, the other to the senses. Why not ask whether those who see no reason to re-read also refuse to eat the same meal twice, or have sex with the same partner more than once.

I have never understood the desire to re-read something. I might not be able to quote chapter and verse, but once I have read something I can describe in detail the plot, the characters, and give a synopsis of the dialogue - even thirty years later. What possible reason could I have for reading it again?

I play music constantly, I am never without it; I cannot imagine a life without music.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #102
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
One appeals to the intellect, the other to the senses.
While I agree with your conclusion, I disagree with the statement that music isn't intellectual. Classical and Opera can be VERY intellectual pursuits, and other genre to a degree as well.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #103
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And: Realistically, I won't care in about 5 years anymore. Technologies usually fade within less than 10 years. I haven't touched my >600 DVDs for at least 5 years...
I have pbooks that are 10 years old that I haven't read yet. I certainly won't be pleased if any of my books become unavailable before I've read them.

(I also have a few DVDs still to watch )
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #104
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
While I agree with your conclusion, I disagree with the statement that music isn't intellectual. Classical and Opera can be VERY intellectual pursuits, and other genre to a degree as well.
Opera is not music, opera is a drama that has been set to music. There might possibly be intellectual interest in such a drama, but the music that supports it is still just music - it holds no more intellectual appeal than any other music. It can hardly be expected to engage your intellect each time you hear it. Listening to classical music - some of which I enjoy, does not involve intellect any more than listening to jazz or classic rock. The fact that classical music and opera tend to be appreciated by the more erudite in society does not endow those art forms with some form of intellectual quality that is missing in any other form of music.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #105
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
This is a disingenuous question. There is no similarity between music and reading. One appeals to the intellect, the other to the senses.
Definitely not. Reading fiction is for me an experience and have nothing to do with reading things with the intellect like you do reading non-fiction. Even reading non-fiction is an experience for the senses.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote