Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My understanding is that the $2 that is mentioned has nothing to do with a 3G/WiFi fee and everything to do with VAT applied in some countries. I have no idea how a tax is applied to a free book but apparently it is. Go figure. Or I could be totally misinformed.
I'm afraid you are misinformed. The $2 fee is a data roaming fee. It's on top of any VAT that may be paid, and is itself subject to VAT. Eg, when it applied in the UK (it no longer does) it was a $2.30 fee, including the UK's VAT rate (at the time) of 17.5%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid you are misinformed. The $2 fee is a data roaming fee. It's on top of any VAT that may be paid, and is itself subject to VAT. Eg, when it applied in the UK (it no longer does) it was a $2.30 fee, including the UK's VAT rate (at the time) of 17.5%.
WOW.

I guess I thought that the roaming fee had been discontinued. Maybe it was only discontinued in the UK? Do we know what countries are still being hit with it?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
WOW.

I guess I thought that the roaming fee had been discontinued. Maybe it was only discontinued in the UK? Do we know what countries are still being hit with it?
It's basically those countries in which Amazon doesn't have an agreement with a local telecoms operator. Where there is an agreement, the fee has gone. The fee went in the UK at the same time that we got unrestricted web browsing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I am not to worried about international roaming. Unfortunately I won't be doing any of that in the near future. So I am in the NA for now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I can see why 3g is a big deal for a lot of peeps. Honestly though the more I think about it the less it appeals. $50 is a lot for an e-reader IMHO. If I chewed through 5 books a week maybe, but I usually a book every 2 weeks or so.

I even wonder if $140 is worth that.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #35
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
It's really a personal question.

A lot of people couldn't imagine being without 3G -- and it's a good value for them -- but I'm the opposite and did not even consider a Kindle until they came out with the (less expensive) Wi-Fi only version. I didn't want to pay for a feature that I will never use, no matter how small the extra charge is.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I'm probably the only one that got the 3G because I wanted the Black Kindle
It is nice to have though, since I take it with me everywhere, I can check my email if I need to or whatever else and I don't have to worry about wifi passwords or any of that drama.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #37
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's basically those countries in which Amazon doesn't have an agreement with a local telecoms operator. Where there is an agreement, the fee has gone. The fee went in the UK at the same time that we got unrestricted web browsing.
thanks for clearing that up! yes, i don't think amazon has an agreement with the telecoms operators here, since i hardly, hardly see anyone here (that i know, anyway) with a kindle or ANY sort of ereader. in fact, i only know one other person who has an ereader, and that's a kobo that a relative gave her. she didn't even know what a kindle was, and my other classmate thought it was a book D:

but isn't it unfair if i buy the wifi only one and i still have to pay the $2 data roaming thing? D: i mean, i won't be using 3g...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #38
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Wrong. Kindle's 3G is 100% free worldwide. You are never charged for using it.
So, amazon just pays any mobile telecommunications provider if a kindle wants to connect to a mobile mast?
Very kind(le) of amazon!

3G:
International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT — 2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a generation of standards for mobile phones and mobile telecommunications services fulfilling specifications by the International Telecommunication Union.

3G wikipedia Link
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #39
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

I have the 3G version. It works very well as intended for me.

Anything less than four bars and it pretty much crawls. Five bars and its not bad for wikipedia and mobile web pages.

Free 3g web access for $50.00 seems a good deal.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
purple rose
purple rose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm thinking of getting a K3 with the 3G option. I live in Australia and I'm planning on spending some time in Europe later this year. Anyone with experience in using the WiFi and 3G in Australia, England, France and Italy? (By the way, this will be my first e-reader, so I'm still learning!)
purple rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #41
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

I live in Australia and have a US Kindle. I believe the service is slightly different if you have an international Kindle (the type you would get if you got it shipped to Australia) as its a Vodaphone SIM and their reception is not great as anyone with a Vodaphone phone will tell you. The US one has a different SIM and I think it will roam for a better service if needed. I use my 3G all the time. It's not super fast but its enough for me to check my email, facebook, the weather, etc. I don't have internet on my phone so now being able to access this stuff while away from home is fabulous.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
I live in Australia and have a US Kindle. I believe the service is slightly different if you have an international Kindle (the type you would get if you got it shipped to Australia) as its a Vodaphone SIM and their reception is not great as anyone with a Vodaphone phone will tell you. The US one has a different SIM and I think it will roam for a better service if needed. I use my 3G all the time. It's not super fast but its enough for me to check my email, facebook, the weather, etc. I don't have internet on my phone so now being able to access this stuff while away from home is fabulous.
interesting...i decided to get the wifi-only because of better battery life o:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #43
purple rose
purple rose began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
Thanks stargazir. It's good to see that the 3G can be used for other purposes. I'm assuming your extra use is all free.
purple rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #44
charliec
charliec began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Joining late here....

IMO, one of the best things about Kindle Books is the ability to read on different devices. I mainly read on the Kindle, however, I often find myself reading on my Blackberry when I'm stuck somewhere (i.e. doctor's waiting room). The ability to upload the furthest page read to the cloud allows me to pickup where I left off regardless of what device I happen to have.

If I only had the Wi-Fi, I would not be able to sync to the furthest page read when I wasn't at home. So, for that alone the 3G is worth it.

Also, I was traveling when I finished a particular book that had a sequel. The 3G enabled me to purchase the sequel as soon as I was finished (lobby of the hotel I was staying at). I don't think that will happen often but at least, with 3G, i had the option.
charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
wyndslash
Wizard

Well, amazon is still making me pay an additional $2 for supposedly data transfers even though my kindle is wifi only ...