Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
trubacca
trubacca began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My tags are vanishing from my Sony PRS-505

I have not yet had a lot of time to research this, and I have only recently been able to verify that it was not simply a mistake on my end.. but some of the books on my device are loosing their tags after being uploaded. I know that they are still there when they get uploaded, but at some point between disconnecting the ereader and flipping through the "Collections", they vanish. I have not yet determined whether an issue with a particular tag removes all of the tags associated with a book, or if it just happens on a particular card, or any other factor for that matter. I didn't see anything related to it either here or in the official bug tracker, so I thought I would see if anyone else is having this problem, or whether I need to dedicate some of my valuable time to making my eReader function properly. I can still find the books alphabetically, but I don't think I need to explain why that is not a solution. I appreciate the time and energy everyone has put into this fantastic product, and I hope that I can get it working right again ;-)
Thanks in advance!

If it matters, I am using a Sony PRS-505 on Win7 64 Pro. I can provide a readout of my system if needed. Thanks!

OK Wait:
After redefining my search parameters a bit in the bugtracker, I did see mention of somewhat with a similar issue. It was closed, but it was there. I will check whether that advice fixes my problem.. standby

Last edited by trubacca; 02-21-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: clarification
trubacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Just curious, how many books are on you reader? I had similar problems but it was when I had over 1000 books. I've switched to using PRS+ firmware and now store fewer books as well and my tags are staying.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have seen tags (collectiond) disappear if the Sony crashes while reading a book (particularily on the SD card)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
trubacca

Thank you for the interest.
I don't have TOO many books on the reader.. a couple of essentials on the reader itself, about 200 small works of fiction on an SD card, and about two dozen reference books (the largest is about 20mb) on a 256 meg memstick produo. So over-filling is not likely. Also, while it can and does crash from time to time, this last time I lost some tags there were no intermediate steps between loading the books onto the reader, (properly) unplugging the device, and trying to open the books on the reader. They simply weren't there! Until I did an alphabetical search.
Umm, I followed the advice from the bug report, which was: delete everything on that memory card (so far it has only happened on a memcard, not an SD card or the device itself, but that is where I usually write and remove stuff from) and replace them. I did so, and it seemed to happen again (to just one of them. Let me just check this..
Ok yeah, I have been able to replicate it. The same file lost it's tags twice in a row. The first time I deleted the file from the card and the replaced it. I checked the tags before I unplugged the device and after the device finished reloading I browsed by tag but couldn't find it. Reconnecting the device showed it missing it's tags. As mentioned in the bug report, it may be from too many caps in the filename. Let me check THAT now...
Yeah, I removed anything that might be considered remotely "abnormal" from the file's title, and it is still doing it. I dunno.
So I have spent an hour or so trying to figure this out, but I am running out of "spare" time, so I will have to return to this problem tomorrow or something. It is pretty irritating, but I can deal.
Thanks for your help,
Andrew
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
trubacca

So I am thinking that perhaps we should reopen the ticket? Ticket #4630 seems to describe my issue. There was never a follow up, but I attempted the fix described and didn't see an effect. I have found one file that seems to allow me to repeat the problem, maybe we can figure something out. Let me know what is needed and I will provide.
Andrew
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
trubacca

sigh.

Well, if I am the only one currently having this issue, and since it is merely "extremely annoying", rather than "completely unusable", I can deal with the problem until it eventually solves itself. Or whatever eventually happens. Thanks for the ideas, though.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
This has happened to me on one book. A Robotech book. I just gave up and re-tagged it once it was transferred...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Are you definitely unmounting your eReader before yanking the cable out?

I dont use Windows anymore, but in Windows XP there used to be a systray icon you can right click and 'Safely Remove'.

This is important because Windows can sometimes cache writes for performance, and the changes wont all get flushed until you 'safely remove', which could explain your corrupt tags etc
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
trubacca

Fear not Carrpi, I most assuredly have been properly dismounting the reader. I believe the Calibre software dismounts the reader in the OS when you press the eject button next to the reader icon, but otherwise, I know Vista and win7 have switched from auto-cache mode to quick-remove mode for the defaults. Still a good habit to ensure a dismount before removal, however, and so I am pretty confidant that the problem lies elsewhere. Thank you for the suggestion though, I appreciate your time.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you had the PRS-505 crash on you when reading a book? I have found that seems to often "lose" tags from the SD card.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags