Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
HarmonS
Enthusiast
HarmonS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-950 Sony reader library software won't run.

Is there a problem with the latest library software on the Sony site? Or with running it on windows XP? I've installed the software on computers several times before with zero problems. Not recently however, and this time it installs okay, or seems to, but then won't start up. I've rebooted, I've uninstalled it and done it over several times with reboots between each one. I've gone looking for kinoma files and removed them. Still won't run. What's the problem?
HarmonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Your antivirus? Try disabling it during install, and see if that makes a difference. Getting any error messages?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Your antivirus? Try disabling it during install, and see if that makes a difference. Getting any error messages?
Nope, don't have any antivirus, and this is just a fresh install of XP. No error messages at all.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonS View Post
Nope, don't have any antivirus.
You might want to change that.

Is your XP fully up to date with all service packs and other updates?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
You might want to change that.

Is your XP fully up to date with all service packs and other updates?
No, I never do that. Don't run any antivirus either. I only run windoze in a VMware or VirtualBox virtual machine under linux, and only use it for exactly three things -- the Sony Reader library software (and yes, I also use Calibre under linux, it works great, but I still need the Sony crapware), my interface for my Procyon light/sound machine, and a piece of somewhat expensive windoze software called "Mind Workstation". I've now actually got the Procyon software working with linux Wine, but the other two won't. So I need to use XP for those. No problem getting those to work -- what's wrong with the reader library? Does it need a port opened?
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Whoa, wait. Back up.

Run how you're running XP by me again, complete with all whatever virtualization software you're running it in, or however you're emulating it. Most of us Windows lemmings assume you're running it as your main OS unless you say otherwise, because that's how 90% of the world does it.

And you shouldn't need to open any ports, unless you have a router between you and the rest of the internet. Which I do, by the way, but no port opening was needed.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I understand you don't want to install updates. However, the Sony software requires Service Pack 3. I used to run the Reader Library software in an XP virtual machine via VMware Fusion on a Mac.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I understand you don't want to install updates. However, the Sony software requires Service Pack 3. I used to run the Reader Library software in an XP virtual machine via VMware Fusion on a Mac.
What she said. I'd guess that might be one of the reasons it won't work in Wine either.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Whoa, wait. Back up.

Run how you're running XP by me again, complete with all whatever virtualization software you're running it in, or however you're emulating it. Most of us Windows lemmings assume you're running it as your main OS unless you say otherwise, because that's how 90% of the world does it.

And you shouldn't need to open any ports, unless you have a router between you and the rest of the internet. Which I do, by the way, but no port opening was needed.
Well, I do have a router, and it also has the latest OpenWRT (linux) OS, and has a pretty hefty firewall, which is why I asked about the ports. And I'm running VirtualBox on linux box (the latest Debian) and XP in that.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Arggh, that's probably it then. So I'll have to figure out if I want to go through the hassles of upgrading this installation of XP (which gets me complaints from Mickysoft about my XP usage) or else just going through the hassle of figuring out how to strip the DRM off my sony bookstore purchases so I can use them in Calibre. Sigh -- decisions, decisions. Or maybe I'll just try to import the VMWare virtual machine installation of XP that I"ve got on another machine into VirtualBox. I think that can be done fairly easily. And that version is upgraded and has a running copy of the reader library software.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Well, an easy way to find out if it is the ports is to just temporarily bypass the router. If that works, you know it's the ports. If it's not the ports... well, Sony isn't known for being forthcoming and helpful with anything that isn't exactly the way they intended things to run.

Did a quick search and found this thread... maybe helpful?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or you could go Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or you could go Windows 7.
Gag! That would require even more system resources, and for what? Like I said, I only use windoze very occasionally and for only three programs. I totally hate even booting it up, it takes forever and a day.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, an easy way to find out if it is the ports is to just temporarily bypass the router. If that works, you know it's the ports. If it's not the ports... well, Sony isn't known for being forthcoming and helpful with anything that isn't exactly the way they intended things to run.

Did a quick search and found this thread... maybe helpful?
Oh, thanks -- those look like some great alternatives. TinyXP might be just the ticket.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Glad I could help. Let me know how TinyXP works out with the Reader Library.