Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Lets talk backing up...........again.

All right. I messed up, bad, and its time to suck it up and move on.

So..........thanks to all the great posts on the vent and rant thread in answer to my post, I've been given some great ideas.

Both online back up services, and external drives have their pros and cons.

If I go online, I'm trusting someone else to save my data, and it can be an expensive proposition for three computers........except for PilotBob's suggestion about CrashPlan. Even so, I'm still trusting someone else todo maybe what I should be doing myself. I don't know. The big plus here is that I don't have to do anything........its done for me.

If I keep it here, I am responsible, and fire, theft, etc could be an issue. Also, I have no clue how to even begin using one........but I just found someone who can show me. Thats good,..........but now the next questions are:

Is one brand better than another?

What should I look for in a portable external drive? 320, 500, 640GB ?

What should I look for or stay away from?

I like Kazbates idea of the flash drive for backing up the books, also. Can't hurt to have back ups in more than one place, right?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I would think it's mostly a matter of preference.

I don't use online services for the same reason I don't use a kindle - I have an irrational big brother paranoia. But that's just me. Many people feel comfortable using online services, and maybe I'm missing out on something really useful, but well...

I have one flash drive and three external drives of varying sizes. I tend to travel a lot, so I take the flash drive and the most portable of the hard drives wherever I go, and leave the two bigger hard drives with all my backups at my main house.

I'm not sure if brand really means a huge difference in quality as far as external hard drives go, although many people I know will claim it definitely does. I buy whatever comes cheap (but not suspiciously so). As for size, it really depends on your needs.

If you keep your important files on two or three separate places I think you can consider yourself safe enough. At least, that's what I do.

Oh, and sharing your files with friends and family members helps too. Even if you lose all your backups, there's bound to be someone that has kept what you need
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
mvisconte
pHilosopher kIng
mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mvisconte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop, laptop, desktop, phone (HTC, HTC, Asus, Asus, LG rah!)
olk3 -- how do you feel about BB (b!g br0th3r) G00gle?

dg -- how much data are you talking about? How much do you use often vs stuff that you just was salted away? I like HDs for putting stuff away for a long time, but organization is a buggaboo for me. I have multiple (multiple) copies of things that I put away but kept on my active drive. and then backed up again, but left on a drive. And then ...
mvisconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

hey, it's oMk3
oh, google is the biggest brother of all, but needs must... I know, I trust google with my mails and my searches, but not with my files. I said it's irrational, didn't I?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
DGM, I'd go for a 500G (that's what I did - a Western Digital external) It works great and you can just drag and drop or use any of the backup or file sync programs.

If you are only interested in backing up your books then 500G may be overkill and you could get a smaller one (though they are pretty cheap these days) as well as a couple of flash drives.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
hey, it's oMk3
oh, google is the biggest brother of all, but needs must... I know, I trust google with my mails and my searches, but not with my files. I said it's irrational, didn't I?
I don't think its too irrational. I think it makes sense. Leaning more and more towards an external hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisconte View Post
olk3 -- how do you feel about BB (b!g br0th3r) G00gle?

dg -- how much data are you talking about? How much do you use often vs stuff that you just was salted away? I like HDs for putting stuff away for a long time, but organization is a buggaboo for me. I have multiple (multiple) copies of things that I put away but kept on my active drive. and then backed up again, but left on a drive. And then ...
Pictures and e-books, Calibre and Kindle for pc is what I use most......now I have no more pictures, since I always deleted then from the camera as soon as I downloaded them. I dasn't think of the three years worth of granddaughters pictures which are lost. Oh God........and all the quilts that I made!!

Okay.........gotta go get a Xanex.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard

I sure hope you manage to get at least some of your files back, desertgrandma. I know some files (like family pictures) are too painful to lose. Haven't you given any of these to relatives? You might get them back this way.

Having said all of the above, me with my three hard drives, I often forget or neglect to backup. I have lost some files this way, and I have lost others by not synchronizing my backups correctly (you lose track if you backup in a lot of places, and in that respect an online places would prove really useful)
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I don't think its too irrational. I think it makes sense. Leaning more and more towards an external hard drive.

Pictures and e-books, Calibre and Kindle for pc is what I use most......now I have no more pictures, since I always deleted then from the camera as soon as I downloaded them. I dasn't think of the three years worth of granddaughters pictures which are lost. Oh God........and all the quilts that I made!!

Okay.........gotta go get a Xanex.
OH NO!!!! *HUGS!!!*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
... Both online back up services, and external drives have their pros and cons.

If I go online, I'm trusting someone else to save my data ...
If you do go with an online service, make sure it's with an established and reputable company. You don't want to store all your files online only to wake up one morning and find that the service has been discontinued. That's why I went with Hewlett-Packard's Upline service. I know Hewlett-Packard is a respected and established company that can be trusted to keep my data safe for years to come.

Oh, wait ... I just remembered: HP discontinued the HP Upline service on March 31, 2009.

Never mind.

Quote:
... Leaning more and more towards an external hard drive ...
Could be your best bet.

Perhaps you could arrange with a trusted associate to store your most important files elsewhere. I've thought about doing that, but it seems like it would be a real pain in the patootie.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I sure hope you manage to get at least some of your files back, desertgrandma. I know some files (like family pictures) are too painful to lose. Haven't you given any of these to relatives? You might get them back this way.
)
I've got emails out to everyone that I can remember sending picures to, hoping there are still a few out there. Unless they do like I do.......enjoy them for a while then delete......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
OH NO!!!! *HUGS!!!*
Thanks KK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you do go with an online service, make sure it's with an established and reputable company. You don't want to store all your files online only to wake up one morning and find that the service has been discontinued. That's why I went with Hewlett-Packard's Upline service. I know Hewlett-Packard is a respected and established company that can be trusted to keep my data safe for years to come.

Oh, wait ... I just remembered: HP discontinued the HP Upline service on March 31, 2009.

Never mind.

Are you serious? Did they really do that? While I really like the idea of someone else doing it for me......maybe I'd better do it myself......I"m just not sure how much more learning this brain can do!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... Are you serious? Did they really do that? ...
To be fair, they gave ample notice ahead of time so that anyone who had important files stored on their servers could retrieve them, and they did refund money that had been paid in advance, but yes; they really did that. I thought I had found the nearly perfect solution with their Upline service, but then it went away. I've always been leery to store my files online, but assumed they would be about as safe and secure as anyone. I certainly didn't expect that they would just drop the service. I haven't used an online storage solution since, and don't expect to.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A 1TB drive will do fine and it's one of the best for price points.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A 1TB drive will do fine and it's one of the best for price points.
I bought this one less than a month ago when my old external HD became filled to capacity, and so far it's working like a charm. Plug and play simplicity.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
DG, here's my two cents worth (for what it matters).

How do the Big Boys do it?

Multilevel and off-site Back ups. The bank I first programmed for shipped a copy all their files off-site every night. And weekly backups. And quarterly backups. and Yearly backups...

So you need at least two external drives. One at the house, one somewhere else (safety deposit box?) Before you laugh at that, think how much you've spent on data. And that's not even including the priceless stuff (priceless because you can't recreate it at any cost.)

Rotate the off-site and on-site every three months. Sync 'em up with your current data and put one back off-site.

And let's face it, we individuals who are not programmers will load 99% of our data as static files, never changing. Pictures, music files, e-books, they don't change. So every three months is good enough. Keep a USB drive handy for anything you get that you can't risk losing and keep it handy with the computer. Clean it out after every three month swap.

If you do that, hard drive crashes will become just a nuisance....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Being an IT guy I baxkup EVERYTHING multiple times. I was shocked when I actually stopped and figured out how many copies of everything I DO keep.
  1. Laptop at work
  2. Desktop at work
  3. 32GB Thumb drive (just for documents and downloads)
  4. 500GB Passport USB drive
  5. Home laptop
  6. Home server
  7. 4 count 'em 4 backups to a 1TB USB drive at home

That makes 10 copies! I've just gotten burnt to many times by hardware or human error. So I just kept adding more and more copies.

Haven't lost anything in years.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote