Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Weltbild Edition Firmware 909 ?

Hi

there is a new german review about the Cybook Weltbild ePub Edition Online at http://www.golem.de/0906/67430.html

The tester writes about a Firmware Version 1.4 Build 909 which fixed the TxT and HTML Problems of the Weltbild Edition.

But there seems to be some big Problems with that firmware, because he bricked two older cybooks by updating with this firmware.
So I don't think it would be wise to test that firmware version on my cybook.

He also writes that Weltbild told him, that bookeen is working on a new Update.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
He also writes that Weltbild told him, that bookeen is working on a new Update.
You've got to be kidding! A firmware update! But then, aren't they all the time ...?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
GUIZMOW
Enthusiast
GUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Can you explain me how the guy from golem update the Cybooks with the new firmware if it is not released?
I think that it might not be as simple as touching the cybook SD slot with a finger and say "YOU ARE NOW A BUILD909. I COMMAND!"
So maybe i tried to do it in a strange way that bricked the Cybooks...
GUIZMOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Golem.de is quite a popular IT-news page in Germany, so it may well be that they either asked someone at Bookeen or at Weltbild if they have a beta version at hand. Though, if I were Bookeen I wouldn't release any unstable beta, especially not for a thorough test.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
At the discussion board at golem.de a guy from golem wrote that Weltbild is already delivering new cybooks with 909. But he didn't tell how he got the 909 for his tests.

It seems that there are still bugs in 909 which can brick a cybook.
And that could be the reason that there is no 909 for open download.

But remember that Weltbild uses the ePub version and not the mobipocket version.
Even if they manage to fix the ePub 909 there could still be no mobipocket 909 for many Mondays.

Just don't expect anything soon and you can't be disappointed.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
But there seems to be some big Problems with that firmware, because he bricked two older cybooks by updating with this firmware.
So I don't think it would be wise to test that firmware version on my cybook.
Maybe his older CyBooks had not enough RAM?! The CyBooks hardware has been uped several times (e.g. 200 > 400 MHz CPU) over the years...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

If I read the text correctly, the reviewed firmware doesn't support folders:
Quote:
Praktisch wäre es, wenn Bookeen die Menüführung in einigen Punkten noch verbessern würde, etwa durch die Einführung einer Ordnerstruktur.
For those who don't understand german:
Quote:
It would be convenient if Bookeen improved the menu [Note: They're talking about the library screen] in a few minor ways, for example by including folder support.
Does this mean they dropped folder support again? I remember there being some reviews here on MR stating that folders were supported. Or is this a selectable option and the reviewer didn't bother to switch it on?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
K-Thom
The one and only

The review with screenshots of folder support can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46279

Either the tester at Golem didn't create any folders or didn't understand how to use them. The last screenshot in the MR thread clearly shows a "Cybook/eBooks/Deutsch" folder/subfolder structure.

I hope the creation and use of folders will be self-explanatory.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
While the cybook I got for my girlfriend had the folders created from the beginning, it couldn't use them. But that was firmware 820. Here I am quite sure that I see folder support...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Either the tester at Golem didn't create any folders or didn't understand how to use them. The last screenshot in the MR thread clearly shows a "Cybook/eBooks/Deutsch" folder/subfolder structure.
Oh, okay. My bad, I didn't bother looking at the screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
I hope the creation and use of folders will be self-explanatory.
Well, yeah- mount the device or insert the SD card, and create the folders using whatever means your OS of choice provides. At least, that's what I'd expect. I really hope Bookeen won't bother adding folder creation on the Cybook itself, that would be really pointless IMHO.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Well, yeah- mount the device or insert the SD card, and create the folders using whatever means your OS of choice provides. At least, that's what I'd expect. I really hope Bookeen won't bother adding folder creation on the Cybook itself, that would be really pointless IMHO.
They still have a non-functional DELETE-button and you think they would add what...?!

BTW: One reviewer mentioned thumbnails for the folders, so it would be possible to make your own!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
They still have a non-functional DELETE-button and you think they would add what...?!
No, actually I hope they don't. It would be completely useless in my opinion. But then again, I don't care whether or not they implement a functional delete button, so I may not be the best judge on that matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
BTW: One reviewer mentioned thumbnails for the folders, so it would be possible to make your own!
Now all we need is a method of exchanging the startup logo(s) and the look of the menus and we got a fully skinnable Cybook
Old 06-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
No, actually I hope they don't. It would be completely useless in my opinion. But then again, I don't care whether or not they implement a functional delete button, so I may not be the best judge on that matter

Now all we need is a method of exchanging the startup logo(s) and the look of the menus and we got a fully skinnable Cybook

And we still need a functional DELETE button... (Yes, we all know that some people cannot grasp the reasoning behind this, but it MUST be done.)

Derek

P.S. Have *received* my $6.85 Nikon D90 w/18-105mm VR lens! (Yes, you can win at Swoopo - I did so on Friday. Am loving it!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And we still need a functional DELETE button... (Yes, we all know that some people cannot grasp the reasoning behind this, but it MUST be done.)
I don't need it - does anybody (?) - but at least they could do something with that damn thing...

Ideas:
- mark books read/unread
- dictionary look-up
- or...?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
- or...?
...delete. I'd happily use it.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote