Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #196
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@ixtab

yes, i confirm that it is not safe to remove libfreetype after updating to 5.1.0. it is also not safe to uninstall fonthack after the update. i got into trouble and have to reset my KT to resolve the problem.
I find this very hard to believe. The net effect of the uninstaller only is that 2 configuration files are removed.

Quote:
my Chinese font settings remain even after the fonthack has been uninstalled.
Again, very hard to believe. Since the configuration files are not read anymore, it is pretty much impossible that they are evaluated.
Are you sure that this is caused by font hack, not by your own modifications?

I don't know what went wrong in your case, but I suggest to uninstall, then reinstall v1.3.0.

Quote:
i want to reinstall libfreetype to see if bold can be restored. do you think you can update the libfreetype installation package for 5.1.0. many thanks.
There is no update needed. The installer and uninstaller continue to work unchanged.

@jglerner: can you install the freetype lib and see if this solves (some of) your problems? As far as I see, everything *except* for the serif font substitution should be working... (in case of oddities, manually refreshing the font cache, then restarting, is always a good idea to try as the first troubleshooting attempt)

Last edited by ixtab; 04-14-2012 at 07:06 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #197
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Again, very hard to believe. Since the configuration files are not read anymore, it is pretty much impossible that they are evaluated.
Are you sure that this is caused by font hack, not by your own modifications?
sorry ixtab, you are right my KT Chinese font settings were restored to system default after uninstalling fonthack. with many installations and uninstallations, i really got myself confused
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #198
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Quote:
@jglerner: can you install the freetype lib and see if this solves (some of) your problems? As far as I see, everything *except* for the serif font substitution should be working... (in case of oddities, manually refreshing the font cache, then restarting, is always a good idea to try as the first troubleshooting attempt)
-installed freetype lib,
-changed (S) Serif to Georgia2,
-rebuilded font cache
-restarted framework
-still have (S) Serif,
-changed (S) Serif to DejaVu Serif,
-rebuilded font cache,
-restarted framework,
-without opening Font Hack 1.3.0 restarted KT,
-no joy, still (S) Serif overriding FH 1.3.0
-opening Overview I have:
DejaVu Sans Condensed as SS
DejaVu Sans Mono as M
DejaVu Serif as S
DejaVU Serif Condensed as C
-opening Details I have
(S) Serif as Serif
DejaVu Sans Condensed as Sans Serif
DejaVu Sans Mono as Monospace
DejaVu Serif Condensed as *condensed*

I only have trouble among (S) Serif and other Serif fonts (tried DejaVu Serif and Georgia2).

That´s the report.

Last edited by jglerner; 04-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #199
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As said, serif font currently isn't overridden (don't know why). But overriding sans serif, condensed, and monospace should work.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #200
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
As said, serif font currently isn't overridden (don't know why). But overriding sans serif, condensed, and monospace should work.
Take your time, we can live with standard Serif font for a while...
Thanks for the hack and hope you fix a solution for it soon.

Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #201
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't have the KT default fontconfig files on hand, so I may be talking out of my ass, but on the K3, I went with another approach for the browser (which also used fc):

The default local.conf used bidirectional aliases (map caecilia to serif, then serif to caecilia with an ordered prefer list), simply putting the custom font on top of those lists was enough. (Cf. local.conf).

The downside is I had to bindmount it on top of the default file. (Granted, I don't remember trying doing this in a *new* file, like we usually do in a fc setup, because I already had to bindmount the main config file anyway to put the fc cache in a single writable directory.)

On the other hand, I never really used the browser much, so I didn't test this extensively, so, err, just throwing it out there ;D.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-14-2012 at 01:44 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #202
vlamark
Junior Senior Member
vlamark began at the beginning.

Device: K2 & K5
Huh,
as first, hello everyone. I've just read entire topic (all 14 pages), then have installed font hack (It all went well since I still have 5.0.4 FW) but after initial exaltation, I've noticed that book listing (My Items) are still on factory settings. Is it possible to change it
(I addmit I've read some of pages just verticaly, but I belive this is first mentioning of this problem)

EDIT1: Wish I knew how to put screenshot... but, when I've changed serif font it changed everywhere but names of books that were with serbian letter ć still showed some strange simbol and the name of the book that was in cyrilic was still missing (same goes for the author)
EDIT3:

EDIT4: Name of the Book is writen in Cyrilic and it is not Shown, adn Authors name should be Branislav Nušić, but Ć is not shown
EDIT2: And another question. What are You using to fatten fonts?

Last edited by vlamark; 04-18-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Another Question, since no one has still responded
vlamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #203
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamark View Post
EDIT2: And another question. What are You using to fatten fonts?
High-Logic FontCreator (at least, I do).
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #204
vlamark
Junior Senior Member
vlamark began at the beginning.

Device: K2 & K5
thank you, I'll prepare fonts and use them when Font Hack arives on 5.1.0
vlamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #205
ixtab
(offline)

I changed the first post, so 5.1.0 is now "officially" supported. Note that the problem of not being able to override the default serif font remains. This is a known defect for that firmware.

I know that this is not ideal (and I currently don't know how to fix it), but at least the other 75% of the functionality work, and it is safe to install the hack on the new firmware.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #206
[bo]
[bo] began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey guys, first post here

Finally decided to register, after years of lurking - ex-owner of Kindle 2, currently using Kindle Touch.

I have several questions about the font hack and using alternative fonts.

My KT is FW 5.1, jailbroken, with kindlet jailbreak, font hack 1.3 and libfreetype 6.8.1 successfully installed. I got some fonts from the wiki, changed the sans-serif to Trebuchet, all good.

The main reason I've jailbroken my KT is to be able to change the condensed font option. I find the serif and sans fonts good enough, but I'd like to fit more text on the screen. Sadly, the default condensed font is not to my liking (not readable enough and not condensed enough).

Of the fonts on the Wiki, only DejaVu has a condensed variant, but I find it a bit light. Question 1: anyone has a modified, thicker variant of that font, or maybe the ability to make one?

I tried with other fonts I own, like Din Text Condensed and Helen Condensed. The problem with those is they're a bit small on 9pt and too large on 11 pt. Question 2: is there a way to set the size to 10 pt for those fonts? Or maybe edit some config file and alter the scale of the font, if that is at all possible?

Question 3: is there a way to alter the leading (line height) for each font?

in advance!
[bo] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #207
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [bo] View Post
Of the fonts on the Wiki, only DejaVu has a condensed variant, but I find it a bit light. Question 1: anyone has a modified, thicker variant of that font, or maybe the ability to make one?
Not that I know. However, you may want to read this. It's probably not exactly what you want, but pretty close. You can do all kinds of modifications inside the "00-<fontname>.conf" files. If you find out how to do it, be sure to post here.

Quote:
Question 2: is there a way to set the size to 10 pt for those fonts? Or maybe edit some config file and alter the scale of the font, if that is at all possible?
You could come up with a patch to modify the font sizes available in the reader. That would affect all fonts though. There are no "per-font" settings, and there is no configuration file.

Quote:
Question 3: is there a way to alter the leading (line height) for each font?
Nope. Unless you edit the font itself, I guess. Perhaps that's actually the easiest solution to solve all of your problems at once . But don't ask me how this is done or what software to use.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #208
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.3.1

New features:
  • Overriding serif font works
  • Installs on new (european) Kindle Touch models
  • Kindlet jailbreak & developer certificate packages have also been repackaged for those new models. If you already have these installed, there's no real need to update them.

Download and enjoy!

Last edited by ixtab; 05-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #209
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
ixtab, thanks again.

Do you have an idea about creating a routine running ON the kindle to reinstall the dev-cert after logging in/out on another account?
Having not the necessary knowledge I think about something copying the dev-cert.bin from a "hacks folder" to /mnt/us and doing the update, either automatically or doing the "update your kindle" manually without having to plug the KT to a PC.
Could this be realised via your jbpatcher?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #210
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
New features:
  • Overriding serif font works
  • Installs on new (european) Kindle Touch models
  • Kindlet jailbreak & developer certificate packages have also been repackaged for those new models. If you already have these installed, there's no real need to update them.

Download and enjoy!
ixtab,

Works like a charm.
Thanks!

Tags
kindle touch hacks