Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
mrmojo
mrmojo began at the beginning.

Device: none
does calibre display what the book will actually look like on my (potential) device

thinking of getting a sony prs-300, and someone suggested i should use calibre to see what the book will look like on the actual reader. I chose my reader, loaded the pdf, converted it to epub, then clicked view epub to look at the document.

Does this accurately depict how it will look on the sony if i convert it to e-pub and then load it? It looks pretty shitty.

How do i see how it will look like in pdf on the sony? when i click view pdf it just displays the regular pdf in acrobat
mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo View Post
I chose my reader, loaded the pdf, converted it to epub, then clicked view epub to look at the document.

Does this accurately depict how it will look on the sony if i convert it to e-pub and then load it? It looks pretty shitty.
It is close enough. If it looks bad there it will on your reader too. You can try messing with the line un-wrapping factor under PDF input.

You can create PDFs from scratch to the exact size of your reader with the font size you want, but trying to take a PDF doc designed for a print layout of 8 1/2 inches x 11 inches and converting it to a suitable 5 or 6 inch ereader flowable document is usually akin to trying to place a square peg into a round hole, you can do it but it isn't pretty.

Sometimes though it works great because the PDF was created with their recent text reflow option and it was all text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo View Post
How do i see how it will look like in pdf on the sony? when i click view pdf it just displays the regular pdf in acrobat
Find a store that has a demo and will allow you to transfer some PDFs to the device to test out.

I have a prs-505 and I avoid PDFs like the plague. If there is a tech doc or paper only in PDF I'll suffer through reading it on my computer. I have decided that my 6 inch ereader is only for recreational reading of novels.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
In my experience (Sony 505), Calibre does NOT show a book close enough to the real thing, at least for editing purposes.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
In my experience (Sony 505), Calibre does NOT show a book close enough to the real thing, at least for editing purposes.
The pages numbers will be different, the font is different, the spacing is different, etc... but if it looks like dung in Calibre's reader you can rest assured it will look like dung on the 505 or 300.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The pages numbers will be different, the font is different, the spacing is different, etc... but if it looks like dung in Calibre's reader you can rest assured it will look like dung on the 505 or 300.
Not always, specially with BookDesigner-made LRF's.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Not always, specially with BookDesigner-made LRF's.
I'll concede this point and bow to your expertise with LRF the initial query was about ePub.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest testing with Sony Reader Library Software for PC or Mac. It is using mobile Adobe Digital Editions and so its display mode is as close as you can get on a desktop to a Sony Reader (although closer to a PRS-600, than the PRS-300).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote