Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Slash
Slash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How can I save highlighted portions

Hello,

I highligh many portion of one book but I would like to save it on my computer, I use Calibre and the Fetch Annotation plugins but I cannot save it.

I bought the book on kobo store, but I cannot add it to the library because 'it's a virtual book' according to Calibre....

How can I save these annotations ?

Thanks you
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, There are two ways to add the book to the calibre library. My usual methods is to download the epub version of the book from shop and add that to calibre. Alternatively, add and "empty book" to calibre. This just has metadata and no format. Right click on the add button in calibre and it is on the menu. The next time you connect the device, it should connect the books in the library and on the device.

Once you have the above, you can use the "Fetch annotations" that is built into calibre. Or you can use the Annotations plugin. This has more flexibility when fetching the annotations. I'm the current maintainer of this plugin.

There are a few other alternatives:
  • The annotations are in an SQLite database. If you have any SQL skills, it's not hard to extract them.
  • If you add "ExportHighlightsEnabled=true"" into the "FeatureSettings" section of the devices config file, when you long press on a book in the library list, it will display an option "Export Highlights". Selecting that creates a text file with the annotations for the book on the device.
  • There have been a few scripts and programs published here over the years to do this. I don't know if any have been maintained. A search should find them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • There have been a few scripts and programs published here over the years to do this. I don't know if any have been maintained. A search should find them.
This one has not been maintained, but still seems to do its job.
Note: No SQL skills needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annotation_extractor.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	135055  

Last edited by tshering; 02-21-2015 at 04:08 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Slash
Slash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, There are two ways to add the book to the calibre library. My usual methods is to download the epub version of the book from shop and add that to calibre. Alternatively, add and "empty book" to calibre. This just has metadata and no format. Right click on the add button in calibre and it is on the menu. The next time you connect the device, it should connect the books in the library and on the device.

Once you have the above, you can use the "Fetch annotations" that is built into calibre. Or you can use the Annotations plugin. This has more flexibility when fetching the annotations. I'm the current maintainer of this plugin.

There are a few other alternatives:
  • The annotations are in an SQLite database. If you have any SQL skills, it's not hard to extract them.
  • If you add "ExportHighlightsEnabled=true"" into the "FeatureSettings" section of the devices config file, when you long press on a book in the library list, it will display an option "Export Highlights". Selecting that creates a text file with the annotations for the book on the device.
Hello, thanks you for your message, I create an empty book and fetch annotation, it seems to work but where can I find these annotations and highlighted parts on my computer ? (in the ebook directory, the file metadata.opf is empty when I open it)

Last edited by Slash; 02-25-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Hello, thanks you for your message, I create an empty book and fetch annotation, it seems to work but where can I find these annotations and highlighted parts on my computer ? (in the ebook directory, the file metadata.opf is empty when I open it)
The calibre "Fetch annotation" should be writing the annotations into the comments field in the library. What it does is to find all books on the device that have annotations and matches a book in the library. Then it gets the annotations, formats them and appends the text to the comments field.

The annotations plugin does basically the same thing. But, you can configure the column used for the annotations and it displays a list of books that it found annotations for before updating the library. You can view the annotations or reject them if you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote