Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #976
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
FW 1.8 - text highlightiging

i didn't figured it out, why the delay of highlight a text with the new pdf reader with the same pdf didn' show up after i reload the pdf.
Now the text highlightiging is in realtime - everything is fine, though.

Last edited by Dolansky; 11-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #977
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolansky View Post
i didn't figured it out, why the delay of highlight a text with the new pdf reader with the same pdf didn' show up after i reload the pdf.
Now the text highlighting is in realtime - everything is fine, though.
What do you mean by the reload?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #978
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
reload -> opened the same PDF textbook again, after i switched on the reader the next time.

if i have time, i try to systematically examine the different performance for text-highlighting.

i used the autocrop page setting option and then auto crop zoom option in the reading tool section for that PDF.

Last edited by Dolansky; 11-11-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #979
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolansky View Post
reload -> opened the same PDF textbook again, after i switched on the reader the next time.

if i have time, i try to systematically examine the different performance for text-highlighting.

i used the autocrop page setting option and then auto crop zoom option in the reading tool section for that PDF.
OK I will try to test that too
Also try testing this for more that a couple of highlights per document
If you use this for studying observe the highlighting speed for a longer time, maybe it aggravates as yu do more and more highlighting during the same reading session. That would be the time lapsed between two successive Open -Close operations for the same document. Let's say you read today for 2h and you notice that it becomes slower toward the end of the two hours
Next day when you open the book the highlighting works fine and again it gets worse by the end of the new 2h session and so on
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #980
Knorke
Enthusiast
Knorke is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
OK I will try to test that too
Also try testing this for more that a couple of highlights per document
If you use this for studying observe the highlighting speed for a longer time, maybe it aggravates as yu do more and more highlighting during the same reading session.
Hi PF4Mobile, hi Dolansky.

The highlighting or marking / annotating is not really in real time. With very simple pages it can be very good - that's what gives me hope - but in the most cases it's slow or it's getting slower and slower with the an increasing number off comment/marks per page (FM 1.7 and 1.8). The effect depends strongly on the page you view and mark. Have a look at another thread, especially have a look at my post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=39

You can make tests with the pdf files with the new version 1.8. I have not seen a principle difference concerning this bugs between 1.7 and 1.8. On some pdf pages it still takes up to one minute (!) for a reaction after marking text.
Knorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #981
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Ok, I have finally found time to install the latest fw (1.8.20121101).

As I mainly use the unit for reading books and online news articles, most observations are regarding the browser, and just reading (i.e. I am not a member of the 'annotation brigade').

* Browser - Dictionary: I like the new 'swapability' icon, much appreciated. Now maybe we can discard with the automated swap from top to bottom and vice versa, as that is a bit annoying?

* Browser - Dictionary: There are still occurrences where the screen is not refreshed and remains distorted after closing dictionary. It seems to happen mostly when it has 'auto-swapped' (see above), but not only.

* Browser - Input fields and textareas: Still acting up on some pages, i.e. not accepting input. (I guess some of it is due to javascript running on them at the same time.

* Browser - URI keyboard: Thank you very much for putting an icon in the top bar, and letting it default to current URI when activated on a site, much appreciated.
May I suggest that you now remove the same icon from the bottom tool bar (possibly to make room for Screen Refresh button - see below).

* Browser - URI keyboard: Try opening a page, clicking on this symbol, then clicking it again to close. Subsequently, find an empty input field and click on this to pop up the keyboard. You will see that it is pre-filled with the previously shown URI. (No big deal, just thought I would point it out.)

* Toolbar, bottom - Screen Refresh buttom: You have moved it to the left, but personally I think that a bad decision, as this is one of the most used buttons (at least for me, in the browser) - and as most people are right-handed, it demands cutting across from right to left, over the screen, when clicking it.

* Sound/Volume: Thank you so much (!) for finally giving me a few levels that can be used, much appreciated.
Please be aware that the graphical representation of the volume on-screen is misbehaving badly, (e.g. goes 'under' zero, jumps two bars on one click on higher levels). Personally, I couldn't care less what it looks like, as I can finally use the sound again...!

* Music Player - playlist: Still acting up like sh*t. Not sure what goes on, but it seems that all available songs in storage are added to the playlist, then sorted but song number (i.e. you have a lot of first songs from all albums, then second songs from all albums, etc.) As I said, not really sure what is going on here...

* Snappiness (as many people are suggesting): Sorry, don't see it, for my use.

All in all, as you can see, minor points from me - I guess that is a good thing, though am hoping for more improvements (for my use) in next upgrade... well, don-t we all?

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #982
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
* Sound/Volume: Thank you so much (!) for finally giving me a few levels that can be used, much appreciated.
Please be aware that the graphical representation of the volume on-screen is misbehaving badly, (e.g. goes 'under' zero, jumps two bars on one click on higher levels).
I do not know if I am right, but it seems to me that the whole long lasting problem with sound level (and now with visual volume presentation) might be because of natural sound perception of human. The scaling should be logarithmical (e.g. in dB measures) and not linear.

Up to 1.7 volume & visualisation were probably linear. And so too loud even for low volume. Since 1.8 volume might be something like logarithmic, but visualization stayed probably linear (and so jumping few bars instead of one).

If we have say 10 linear levels of volume available and say 4 visual bars, the levels assigned to bars should be 1, 2, 5 and 10. (Maybe little bit different, I speak about the concept, not how exactly it should be.) Each step would represent linear perception of volume increase.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #983
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I do not know if I am right, but it seems to me that the whole long lasting problem with sound level (and now with visual volume presentation) might be because of natural sound perception of human. The scaling should be logarithmical (e.g. in dB measures) and not linear.

Up to 1.7 volume & visualisation were probably linear. And so too loud even for low volume. Since 1.8 volume might be something like logarithmic, but visualization stayed probably linear (and so jumping few bars instead of one).

If we have say 10 linear levels of volume available and say 4 visual bars, the levels assigned to bars should be 1, 2, 5 and 10. (Maybe little bit different, I speak about the concept, not how exactly it should be.) Each step would represent linear perception of volume increase.
That makes a lot of sense, good catch. I am not sure that log is the way to go, as - in my experience, at least - it has been all about the starting level.
Of course, it also depends on log what, as we can not for example double sound at each step - it has to be less.

I suspect some might be due to different usage as well, i.e. if you use the speakers, the current level might not be enough - or indeed, if you use a power-hungry head gear - whereas I use the common type ear-plug phones (you know, the small ones for e.g. portable MP3 players).
The reason I suspect this is that I see many other device have a 'Boost Volume' setting - though I have not used them so cannot say for sure.

Oh well, at least I can hear music on it again, that is good. Now they just need to fix the music player so I can actually choose what I want to listen to.

Cheers!
CJ
Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #984
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure which log should be used, probably log20.

The initial loud sound (for pre 1.8 fw) even for level 1 might be due to lin scale instead of log scale. If I take my ilustrational example assignment was 2.5 5 7.5 10, instead of 1 2 5 10. It was loud at beginning and not much louder in next steps...

It is only my guess...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #985
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
It is only my guess...
But... it is a very good one.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #986
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi guys,

please check the new Update 2012-11-13 with lots of fixes
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #987
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi guys,

please check the new Update 2012-11-13 with lots of fixes
Wohoo, you're the best!

Edit: Sadly, I cannot notice any difference in the area which had interested me the most, that is the PDF reader. I still get dashed gray lines all through my texts and cropping does not work. For example if I choose "Auto Margins" from the "Page Setup" menu for a 1-column document the cropping is very wrong and a gray line runs through the bottom 3rd of the text. Also, the "Auto Crop" entry is constantly selected in the "Reading" menu.

Last edited by ManDay; 11-13-2012 at 02:41 PM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #988
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello Booxtor,

Thanks for the fast update. I like the setup for the joystick.

Do you think that is possible to have the 2 options for the PDFreader when it used to read EPUB files ? :
  • margin setting
  • font setting

Last edited by Randy11; 11-14-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #989
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Has someone noticed if the merging of straight vertical and horizontal lines (scribbles) onto a PDF works in any of the new versions 1.8?
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #990
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Wohoo, you're the best!

Edit: Sadly, I cannot notice any difference in the area which had interested me the most, that is the PDF reader. I still get dashed gray lines all through my texts and cropping does not work. For example if I choose "Auto Margins" from the "Page Setup" menu for a 1-column document the cropping is very wrong and a gray line runs through the bottom 3rd of the text. Also, the "Auto Crop" entry is constantly selected in the "Reading" menu.
For 1 column documents pls use "auto crop" from reading menu.
you can use either "Auto crop" or "Auto detect margines". The second one is needed for some multi column documents.

I am also going to make a short video tutorial how the dashed line work and when it is need.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote