Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #916
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiseRayes View Post
I am on PlanetBaen as Queen Lise the First.
I was in at the Beta testing and also at the first from the new launch. I have a question for which I suspect the answer is somewhere in the 50+ previous pages but I don't have the time to read it all , so what really does joining an alliance or having someone join your alliance gain you?
Sorry if it's an obvious question
When you join alliances you are working towards getting more vouchers. One voucher for the 20th alliance, another at 25, and then every 4 alliances you join from then on nets you another voucher.

Currently others joining your alliance does nothing for you.

This is an area that needs further development by them, and if I remember correctly, Bob Kruger said (at the Baen Bar) that they were working on this.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #917
LiseRayes
Enthusiast
LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: B&N Nook, Asus MemoPad,
Thanks ghostyjack. I already earned two vouchers from my alliances but I was wondering if there was more to it. It would be fun if we were rewarded or penalized for our good sense in picking who to join....
LiseRayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #918
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I am on PlanetBaen as Queen Lise the First.
I was in at the Beta testing and also at the first from the new launch. I have a question for which I suspect the answer is somewhere in the 50+ previous pages but I don't have the time to read it all , so what really does joining an alliance or having someone join your alliance gain you?
Sorry if it's an obvious question
Having someone join you gets you nothing (but those are the ones I give my gifts to).

Joining someone, on the other hand, gets you free books:

1 @ 20 joins
1 @ 25 joins
1 @ every 4th join after that
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #919
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks ghostyjack. I already earned two vouchers from my alliances but I was wondering if there was more to it. It would be fun if we were rewarded or penalized for our good sense in picking who to join....
In a way, you are - if someone you've joined resets, you lose an ally, so must purchase that one again (at my level, the last one cost 17 BILLION dollars).

If you choose "wisely" (if such a thing is possible), you get allies that give you back useful gifts, instead of ignoring you or giving you useless gifts (or gift bombs).
Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #920
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
In a way, you are - if someone you've joined resets, you lose an ally, so must purchase that one again (at my level, the last one cost 17 BILLION dollars).

If you choose "wisely" (if such a thing is possible), you get allies that give you back useful gifts, instead of ignoring you or giving you useless gifts (or gift bombs).
Well sometimes you have to get rid of those population gifts. I haven't found a way to trash those.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #921
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Well sometimes you have to get rid of those population gifts. I haven't found a way to trash those.
If in your transfer bar, just ignore them - they'll expire and go away after five cycles or so.

In your Hoard, just click on "trash this gift" (a link about halfway down the left side of the message box).
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #922
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
If in your transfer bar, just ignore them - they'll expire and go away after five cycles or so.

In your Hoard, just click on "trash this gift" (a link about halfway down the left side of the message box).
Ah, I didn't know they expire. Thought it limited your space and prevented you from getting some new, useful gifts to transfer.

Thanks.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #923
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
Hm. I will be honest....this slow levelling thing (and on Baen Bar they said a new level every 2 weeks) I am losing a lot of interest in this game. What strategy is there other than just waiting around for the next level? I've been logging in once a day, surging all of my city cores, redeeming 10 gifts, and giving out what I have. Other than that, what is there to do?

Anyone else feel this way?
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #924
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
That's the way browser games work
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #925
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
From Wikipedia.

A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports/games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong, solitaire, or some video games).
Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.

Planet Baen meets none of these criteria and is therefore not a game, it comes closet to work as you are remunerated in free books for the time you waste on it, but at a rate far below minimum wage, the free ebooks do not even cover the cost of the equipment and power required to "play."

I have abandoned all my freeholds and gone back to reading books. If I need more free books then the Dark Web will provide.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #926
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Just Joined.... GatorJaws on the game.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #927
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
Projects for Level 23 are out
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #928
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
I've paused myself again, since I now has twice as much bucks as is needed for level 24. Should perhaps have waited a bit as paying off a Rogue Agent nearly wiped out the military.

Is it just me, or is it very rarely that one receives food and energy to give away?
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #929
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Food seems to be the scarcest in my "give away" pile.

A shame, since so many need it.

And the AI is trying to kill my colony with Population gifts, even as I run short of Food and Bliss! I could use a couple of visits from the crows!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #930
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I sometimes get a lot of food or energy gifts, but rarely both. I usually take any population whack I get on my level 23 character, so I'm usually in the green these days. I have two freeholds, and I just leveled the second one at 21. I was thinking that I'd pause both of them once the lesser one reaches level 23 (or whatever the highest level is), but I expect that it could take a couple weeks, since I'm trying to keep that one with a minimal population (currently about 5 million, the level 23 is around 300 million), and I'm not sure that I want to spend the time on it any more.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote