Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Setting up Kobo Touch without desktop app?

Is there any way to do this? The regular Kobo did everything just fine on it's own. And i use Linux (NOT Debian based) and i refuse to run windows again...So am i just out of luck? Can i set up my touch without the desktop app? It doesn't look like it will let me. If not then i will be promptly returning it...
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well.. check this link --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=82378&page=6

The issue is that the Touch was shipped before the firmware was finalized; some functionality (including WiFi) was not in the firmware as shipped...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
queensryche_fan
Kobo Developer Co-op
queensryche_fan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Sorry, we don't have an RPM at this time.

Try giving Alien a spin: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien)

Last edited by queensryche_fan; 06-16-2011 at 02:47 PM.
queensryche_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensryche_fan View Post
Sorry, we don't have an RPM at this time.

Try giving Alien a spin: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien)
What is this supposed to do?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well.. check this link --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=82378&page=6

The issue is that the Touch was shipped before the firmware was finalized; some functionality (including WiFi) was not in the firmware as shipped...
Hi! So essentially what i need to do is just update the firmware...Is there any manual way to do that?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
SimplyTheDoctor
SimplyTheDoctor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi/Kobo touch
For non-Debian-style distributions:

1. download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
2. it unpacks into a couple of files, one of them is data.tar.gz; unpack it in root:
gzcat data.tar.gz | (cd /; tar -xvpPf - )

Note that the executable in /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo may appear to miss some required libraries (check ldd /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo | grep found) but these may be bogus as the libraries are in the same directory, except ldconfig does not seek this location. A short script in /usr/bin/Kobo, which should be the first on the PATH, anyways, sets up some env vars to take care of the non-standard library locations (why the Kobo team decided to do it this way is another matter).

Under Zenwalk (a streamlined Slackware distro), I actually used the standard package tool:
mv data.tar.gz data.tgz; netpkg data.tgz
and all went well.

The firmware is at 1.9.2, WiFi is seeing networks, device synced nicely with the existing Kobo acount.

Now, if only WiFi knew about USERNAMES not just passwords (WPA Enterprise? - but this is not the only place where USERNAME may be required...), but this is a topic for another post.

Last edited by SimplyTheDoctor; 06-16-2011 at 03:47 PM.
SimplyTheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheDoctor View Post
For non-Debian-style distributions:

1. download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
2. it unpacks into a couple of files, one of them is data.tar.gz; unpack it in root:
gzcat data.tar.gz | (cd /; tar -xvpPf - )

Note that the executable in /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo may appear to miss some required libraries (check ldd /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo | grep found) but these may be bogus as the libraries are in the same directory, except ldconfig does not seek this location. A short script in /usr/bin/Kobo, which should be the first on the PATH, anyways, sets up some env vars to take care of the non-standard library locations (why the Kobo team decided to do it this way is another matter).

Under Zenwalk (a streamlined Slackware distro), I actually used the standard package tool:
mv data.tar.gz data.tgz; netpkg data.tgz
and all went well.

The firmware is at 1.9.2, WiFi is seeing networks, device synced nicely with the existing Kobo acount.

Now, if only WiFi knew about USERNAMES not just passwords (WPA Enterprise? - but this is not the only place where USERNAME may be required...), but this is a topic for another post.

Oh my...Now i'm confused *LOL*... Okay i'm running Opensuse 11.4 ... Going step by step...How do i do this? :-D
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
You used to be able to update the firmware at Chapters - they could do it via the SD card slot. Not sure if they still do that or not.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
You used to be able to update the firmware at Chapters - they could do it via the SD card slot. Not sure if they still do that or not.
Well i don't see chapters in any of the menus and i have no sd card...Why in the world would they ship it with the firmware like that?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon View Post
Well i don't see chapters in any of the menus and i have no sd card...Why in the world would they ship it with the firmware like that?
Chapters is a chain of book shops, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapters

With earlier Kobo's you could take your Kobo into a store and they would do the firmware upgrade via an SD card that they had.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Quite simply the hardware was ready before the software, so rather than delay the entire shipping process until the software was complete they got the unit into the fulfillment chain knowing that their install process would perform the upgrade.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
daewon
Enthusiast

erased venting rant *LOL*

Last edited by daewon; 06-17-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
SimplyTheDoctor
SimplyTheDoctor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi/Kobo touch
command-line instructions for installing under non-Deb distributions

Quote:
Oh my...Now i'm confused *LOL*... Okay i'm running Opensuse 11.4 ... Going step by step...How do i do this? :-D
Oh, sorry, I was a bit too brief?

First, open a Terminal window. Then, type in the following commands (assuming Kobo Touch, for Kobo WiFi the file name is kobo-desktop-older.deb):

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
ar -x kobo-desktop.deb
ls

You should have these files in front of you now:

control.tar.gz
data.tar.gz
debian-binary
kobo-desktop.deb

Ignore all but the data.tar.gz. Become super-user:
su
(enter your root password here)
cat data.tar.gz | (cd /; tar -zxvpPf - )

Test if you are missing any libraries:

ldd /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo | grep found

If you get the following three lines:
libQtSolutions_SingleApplication-2.6.so.1 => not found
libQtSolutions_IOCompressor-2.3.so.1 => not found
libnickel.so.1 => not found
you are done, if you have OTHER lines with a "not found" message, you may need to use YaST to bring those libraries in.

exit

Now you are back to being a regular user, so try running the program

/usr/bin/Kobo

If it all works as it should, add a shortcut to your desktop which uses the above command.

Cheers.

Last edited by SimplyTheDoctor; 06-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.
SimplyTheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Having wifi at hand, it sounds a bit obsolete not to use it for
firmware upgrade. I also use unix on my box and cannot jump
through rings just to make minor update.
Doing online upgrade makes a stress on potential server, but
saves nerves for end user. I'm not quite informed how other
vendors do that in details, but they manage to avoid desktop
app at all. If I didn't get it completely wrong.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Having wifi at hand, it sounds a bit obsolete not to use it for
firmware upgrade. I also use unix on my box and cannot jump
through rings just to make minor update.
Doing online upgrade makes a stress on potential server, but
saves nerves for end user. I'm not quite informed how other
vendors do that in details, but they manage to avoid desktop
app at all. If I didn't get it completely wrong.
Best regards all.
Normally you can upgrade over the wifi (I never use use the desktop for my Kobo Wifi anymore) - but my understanding is that the Wifi wasn't enabled in the shipping version of the Touch and it needs the firmware upgrade before that works. I could be wrong though....
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote