Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
Side-loading of epubs on Kobo App

Kobo updated their app to allow side-loading on epubs (maybe pdfs too, I don't recall). I'm not sure if it will let you load drm'd epubs, particularly library books, but I think it probably will at least allow standard adobe drm'd epubs, as I believe that's what Kobo uses. I did a quick try with a drm-free epub this morning before I left for work and was able to load it in easily by sending the book to myself via e-mail. I think there are other options too, but haven't had a chance to look them over.

Anyone try it with a drm'd epub? or with a library book?
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I tried it, but it wouldn't even open the DRM'ed ePubs that I downloaded previously from Kobo itself, it gave me an Error:Empty NCX message. (These were free eBooks that they had offered on Kobo that I had downloaded, but are not in my Kobo account). So, I doubt that library books would work too.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
None of my Sony DRM'd ePubs or Library books from Overdrive worked. (Same error as arcadata.) You can't download epubs from calibre server and open them in Kobo - the filenames don't seem Kobo friendly.

Calibre converted ePubs (added via email) did not work. Each showed as only having two pages.
My purchased book from O'Reilly (no drm) did work.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote