Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: KOBO AURA ONE
THANKS BUT NO THANKS

First of all, I want to say thanks to all the people involve in developing and improving this promising product. Furthermore, it was great to see Irex developers involved also in this foro working together with DR owners to improve the hardware. Others companies should take example of that.

That said, I must admit my disappointment with the DR800. The new firmwares have improved some elements but they have worsened others..

It is difficult for me to understand how they can release firmware that contains great solutions but also such a mistakes like the page turning performance or the pdf positioning... I know the firmwares are somehow "beta" but nobody test the software before?? Its difficult for a "standard owner" to face all these inconveniences.. Specially taking into account the cost of the device...

As an example, with the latest firmware I'm experiencing random performance falls many times reading standard epubs. Sometimes the page turning goes fine and sometimes it takes forever.. The major problem is that always happen randomly. There are other problems I've been experiencing with the different firmware releases like:

- In the RC3, the font size went back again to the beginning and looks smaller, I must admit I prefer the new letter type from the last firmware...I always thought the medium size was too small. The difference between medium and large was too high...

- Sometimes I have to push the button 2/3 times in order to turn off the screen. The screen flashes but does not turn off.

- Random lock ups

- Accuracy of the touch screen and battery indicator

As a conclusion, its been very challenging to follow this foro expecting to find solutions to make this device the best ebook reader on the market. Unfortunately, every firmware I try still contains many errors and steps back (sure also improvements) and I'm not getting the user experience I was looking for. I have tried other devices like the Sony and despite its problems, they are more mature in terms of hardware / software. I had never been concerned before using an ebook reader about lock ups, performance, battery, epubs, pfd, etc, etc,.......To enjoy the reading was easier and simple.. Before Irex I was only worried about finding the right book...

Thanks for reading my long thoughts...I hope you will respect my point of view. Again I appreciate all these efforts to improve the DR800 but taking into account the cost of the device, the reading experience should be much easier from the beginning....

Alex

Last edited by musteman; 08-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.
musteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Respects, Alex. But if you ain't found it, you ain't looked hard enough. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert