Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
What is the device doing?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the kind of charger you need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-PRS-...ony+t1+charger
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
simmonsk
simmonsk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

Not going to spend $$ on the reader anymore. After charging with the AC charger for two days, it still sitting with the dead screen. Power or reset doesn't do a thing. I think firmware is corrupted when I tried to rescue the unit using roadkil image restore. Is there any other way to revive? Or the unit is going to the junkyard.
simmonsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #34
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonsk View Post
Not going to spend $$ on the reader anymore. After charging with the AC charger for two days, it still sitting with the dead screen. Power or reset doesn't do a thing. I think firmware is corrupted when I tried to rescue the unit using roadkil image restore. Is there any other way to revive? Or the unit is going to the junkyard.
Perhaps next time you will remember the old adage - 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!'
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

You do NOT need to purchase a micro USB charger that says Sony on it. As long as it's a micro USB that has a mains on the other end, it'll work.

I can't help you, Simmonsk further than I have. I don't jailbreak my devices so I have no experience with it. I don't personally see the benefit for it over the risks as you have unfortunately illustrated quite well. Sorry.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
BookCat
C L J

I'm afraid that if it wasn't the battery, but some other issue, I can't help further either. When an ereader is 'bricked' the most common cause is a drained battery, so it's always worth trying that route before declaring the ereader to be bricked.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #37
simmonsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Perhaps next time you will remember the old adage - 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!'
Not exactly true. The unit has been locking up since upgrade to 1.0.05. Then last week it went into a boot loop after I connected it to my pc trying to add some books. Now is a high tech brick.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #38
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sorry to hear your T1 is bricked. Your experiences are why I held off rooting my T1. I did originally buy a T1 with the intention of rooting it, then I didn't see much advantage in it, then I started hearing about the bricked devices. It just seems that the T1 becomes unstable when you root it and there is nothing much you can do to fix it once it goes. *Ouch*

This is why I recently sold my T1 (totally stock, never rooted, never used) and used the money to buy a Nook Simple Touch which has the reputation of being unbrickable.

The T1 I bought was not new. I bought a used / refurb.

Bottom line is, I never buy new ereaders anymore. I paid top-dollar for a 650 and it died on me 14 moths later. It would have cost 150$ to fix so, so I dumped it and bought a used / refurbed.

Now I only buy used and cheap.

If you can pick up a cheap Nook STR, I recommend them. They are great for rooting and come with the Caecilia font. Very nice ereader if you can get it dirt cheap. Again, if I'd paid top-dollar, I wouldn't be happy. It has a lot of flaws too.

My dream ereader is an e-ink tablet. If I could get that, with a front-light, I'd be willing to buy new again.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #39
simmonsk

To all who have given advises, BIG thanks with sadness...

Time for a different ereader. No more Sony ever.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #40
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
To all who have given advises, BIG thanks with sadness...

I'm sorry it appears to be dead but how can you blame the manufacturer when you made modifications that it was never intended to handle? You bought a perfectly good device that you essentially broke when you rooted it. It's not Sony's fault.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I'm sorry it appears to be dead but how can you blame the manufacturer when you made modifications that it was never intended to handle? You bought a perfectly good device that you essentially broke when you rooted it. It's not Sony's fault.
I agree entirely. It has always amazed me how some people are surprised when it all goes wrong for them after rooting their device. As I said before - 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

If you want a device that can do more than be a reader then buy a tablet - they all handle ebooks perfectly well. Having recently bought an iPad Mini if my 650 ever dies then I doubt if I will replace it with another reader as I find reading on the iPad is not a problem for me.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I didn't root the T1 because I suspected it wouldn't work out. I waited and did the research. I sold it (unrooted) and bought a Nook and its a great e-ink tablet.

So stop whining. It's your own fault.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-29-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #43
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Always hard to hear when someone has an electronic device that gave up the ghost even if it was self-induced. I buy an ereader to be a reader only and doing that one will most likely have a functioning unit a long time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote