Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Tennyoelf
Tennyoelf began at the beginning.

Device: All
Start Page for the Kobo Vox

I've created an awesome Japanese Manga Fixed Layout ePub...but because of the page layout, the back of the book is the start of the book. To solve the problem for iBooks I simply have a stop page with an internal link to jump to the first page (the last page of the book)...but that doesn't work on the Kobo Vox.

Is there a way to have my Fixed Layout ePub start on a certain page for the Vox? If I switch the layout none of the spreads will display properly.

I've tried tweaking the <guide> element in the OPF with type="start" or type="text" with the correct link to the page I want, but it didn't work with iBooks, so I don't know if it'll work with the Vox.

All I need is some method to have the book jump to the last page and I've run out of ideas. Any help?
Tennyoelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Best way to do it would be to get your original pictures, renumber them so they're in the proper order, zip 'em up, rename to whatevernameyouwant.cbz, then convert it to epub again.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Tennyoelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Best way to do it would be to get your original pictures, renumber them so they're in the proper order, zip 'em up, rename to whatevernameyouwant.cbz, then convert it to epub again.
The thing is...it's a Japanese manga, so it reads right to left and the spreads are displayed in a way that make it so the books actually needs to start at the back of the book. So I really need a way for the book to jump to the back of the book when someone opens it for the first time or at least a way to link the back of the book to the start of the book.

My last resort would be to just reverse the images like you said, but I really don't want to do that because then the spreads are going to look horrid.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I know how Japanese comics read. What I meant is that, in a 001-200 page volume (counting from the Western front), you'd renumber 200 (back of the book) to 001 and 001 to 200, reversing the order so that the pages can go in a proper order.

Spreads are annoying. Assuming your viewer supports it, your only real option is to flip to landscape for a moment on those pages. Or else slice the spread in half and put them in whichever order makes sense for tracking the action (always done on a case-by-case basis).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Tennyoelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I know how Japanese comics read. What I meant is that, in a 001-200 page volume (counting from the Western front), you'd renumber 200 (back of the book) to 001 and 001 to 200, reversing the order so that the pages can go in a proper order.

Spreads are annoying. Assuming your viewer supports it, your only real option is to flip to landscape for a moment on those pages. Or else slice the spread in half and put them in whichever order makes sense for tracking the action (always done on a case-by-case basis).
Oh, OK, I get ya!

Renumbering them is what I did before I started using Fixed layouts (before they were just regular ePubs with images in them). Now with fixed layouts in ePub 3 spreads have become really important, especially with books that are spread heavy...and I have about 200-400 books to convert to fixed layouts. So even if renumber them I'm screwed because the spreads are going to look bad in landscape mode or won't be read in the proper order if I try to keep the correct spread layout.

It's frustrating! I did try to lock the Kobo fixed layout in Portrait mode but it wouldn't stick, no matter what I did.
Advert