Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My top 11 novels what are yours?

The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
Dhalgren - Samueal R. Delaney
Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov
Dune - Frank Herbert
Breathing Lessons - Anne Tyler
Lord of the Rings - J R R Tolkien
City - Clifford D. Simak
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

I should probably make it 12 and get The Road by Cormac McCarthy in there
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
At least three of your list would find a place on mine - four if you include The Road. But I recently read A Death in the Family by James Agee, which blew me away as a piece of literature, and would have to be on my list, along with The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kane & Abel
As the Crow Flies
Honour Among Thieves
Pillars of the Earth
Day After Tomorrow
The Stand
Ulysses
The Strain
The Fall
Soul Mountain
Lord of the Flies
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
At least three of your list would find a place on mine - four if you include The Road. But I recently read A Death in the Family by James Agee, which blew me away as a piece of literature, and would have to be on my list, along with The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch.
I'll have to check those out. I've hear of both a few times...
Old 10-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
Kane & Abel
As the Crow Flies
Honour Among Thieves
Pillars of the Earth
Day After Tomorrow
The Stand
Ulysses
The Strain
The Fall
Soul Mountain
Lord of the Flies
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
These are books I have read more than twice. I have enjoyed a lot of other books that I don't want to read again. Mostly SF.

+ 1984 - George Orwell
+ The Time Machine - H. G. Wells
+ The Invisible Man - H. G. Wells
+ The War of the Worlds - H. G. Wells
+ I Robot - Isaac Asimov
+ Romance of Atlantis - Taylor Caldwell
+ The Devil's Advocate - Taylor Caldwell
+ Flatland - Edwin A. Abbott (the first book I read in English)
+ The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
+ Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
+ Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
+ A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
+ Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

Last, but not least, because since I discovered Borges as a teenager I have devoured his works once and again, not to mention that I have discovered other authors through him:

+ The Complete Works - Jorge Luis Borges

Last edited by Falcao; 10-16-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Books added
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
kennyc

Cool!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Not sure if this is a final Top 11 of all time list but I do love all 11 of these books.

Watership Down by Richard Adams
Neverness by David Zindell
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Sea Wolf by Jack London
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
Kazan the Wolf Dog by James Oliver Curwood
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Not necessarily in order of importance:
1984 - George Orwell
Absolute Friends - John Le Carré
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
The Intercom Conspiracy - Eric Ambler
The Night Comers - Eric Ambler
A conspiracy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Sobre Héroes y Tumbas - Ernesto Sábato
Foucoult's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
Childhood's end - Arthur Clarke
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
The Master of Ballantrae - Robert Louis Stevenson
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #10
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr
"The Blackboard Jungle" by Evan Hunter
"Boy's Life" by Robert R. McCammon
"Chiefs" by Stuart Woods
"The Monk" by Matthew Gregory Lewis
"The Throat" by Peter Straub
"The Church of Dead Girls" by Stephen Dobyns
"The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins
"The Confessions of a Justified Sinner" by James Hogg
"The Pet" by Charles L. Grant
"Our Lady of Darkness" by Fritz Leiber
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
No particular order - I find that each time I answer this question my choices change.

* Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

* The Grapes of Wrath or Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

* The Man in the Iron Mask or The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

* And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

* Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

* Watership Down by Richard Adams

* The Unedited Diaries of Carolina Maria De Jesus by Robert M. Levine (translation)

* Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

* Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell

* The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mine would be, in no particular order:
  • The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Aeneid, by Virgil (in Latin)
  • The Odyssey, by Homer (in Greek)
  • Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
  • Bleak House, by Charles Dickens
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
  • Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope
  • Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
  • The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas (anonymous 1846 translation)
  • Complete Works of Plato, by Plato (in Greek)
  • Harry Potter Series, by J.K. Rowling
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien
Lonesome Dove, by McMurtry
Catcher in the Rye, by Salinger
Trout Fishing in America, by Brautigan
The Brothers Karamazov, by Doestoevsky (sp?)
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Lee
Ghost Story, by Straub
It, by King
Harry Potter series, by Rowling
The Lord of the Flies, by Golding
The Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck

Although, if you asked me tomorrow, it might change up a little bit!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie (#1 for sure)
It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life - Lance Armstrong
Congo - Michael Crichton
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
The Legend of Huma - Richard A. Knaak

My brain is a bit fried this AM and I can't think of more right now. Will edit later.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Shogun
Foundation Trilogy
Noble House
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me
Dune
Nausea
The Odyssey
The Last of the Mohicans
Pillars of the Earth
The Count of Monte Cristo
On the Road