Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Vizio Tablet now updated to Honeycomb.

Got an update notice on my 8" Vizio Tablet at work the other day. After downloading and installing, my tablet is now updated to Android 3.2.1, aka "Honeycomb."

Yeah, it's not Ice Cream Sandwich, but it's still nice to have. I find the browser to be improved. I think there is a good chance that Ice Cream Sandwich will eventually arrive as well.

The one negative is that the buttons in the bezel are disabled in favor of a more conventional placement at the bottom of the screen.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: USB Sync is not working since the update. I contacted Vizio Support, but they were not on top of the issue. They kept wanting me to install USB drivers on my computer. I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue.

I will try and sync my tablet up with my home computer when I get home tonight.

It's possible I can find an app to kick the tablet into USB Sync mode manually.

To be clear: the tablet detects the USB connection and flashes the charging symbol, but does not display the "Do you want to go into USB Sync Mode?" screen.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
JAcheson
Tech Writer

Further update: When I hooked the Honeycomb tablet up to my Windows 7 computer at home, it simply set up the onboard memory and SD card as removable drives under VTAB1008, without any kind of USB Sync running on the tablet.

Is that a difference between Gingerbread and Honeycomb? This is my first Honeycomb device.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Further update: When I hooked the Honeycomb tablet up to my Windows 7 computer at home, it simply set up the onboard memory and SD card as removable drives under VTAB1008, without any kind of USB Sync running on the tablet.

Is that a difference between Gingerbread and Honeycomb? This is my first Honeycomb device.
That is all I get in ICS (on my HP TouchPad) either. You can choose between disk mode or camera/media mode. Not sure if this is because it is an "unofficial" port or if that is just the way the newer Android versions work.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
JAcheson
Tech Writer

Then I'm guessing that's how it is supposed to work, and there is no USB Sync any more. Which is actually an improvement.

I just wish the Vizio support person had told me that. It would have saved a bunch of time. She probably didn't know either.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
OlfBookReader
OlfBookReader began at the beginning.

Device: Vtab1008
Calibe does not see Vizio tab anymore

My Vtab1008 updated last night to Honeycomb and Calibre does not recognize it anymore. Windows 8 now sees it as an Media Transfer Protocol device, not a USB storage device. Windows file system sees it as a media device, like an MP3 player.

Vizio Customer service said that there was nothing they could do for me. Googling this issue provided no solutions, but at least I know why Calibre does not see it.

Any suggestions? I plan on reverting the device to its factory settings and not letting it upgrade itself.
OlfBookReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Same thing with the Acer tablets, not much you can do about it. Might change for the Acers with ICS which is due to start in a couple of weeks.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you actually want to synch, and with what program on your PC? There are still plenty of free solutions available, 3rd party software for music, videos, and other media.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Drang
Drang began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600; Vizio Via Tablet
Note that, with this update, you can now set the default storage location for files as "microSD", and all the apps I've tried so far will access the card. Because of Vizio
s funky file structure, many apps did not want to do so before, but this seems to be a thing of the past.

I noticed that Calibre seems to expect me to only use one device, and since I have both a Sony eBook Reader, the Vizio Tablet, and an Android phone, it gets confused...
Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
OlfBookReader

I factory reset my Vizio tablet and it did a clean reinstall of.......Honeycomb! Not Gingerbread. I called Vizio this morning and they said that I could not reset my tablet backwards to an earlier Android version.

I thought of returning the thing to Costco and exchanging it for a new one (with Gingerbread), however Costco does not have it anymore.

My husband is experiencing more problems. His computer does not see it and some of his apps are broken.

Rooting may be an option, any ideas? I used to love this device. Now the Droid has gone rogue.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Is their a way to reactive the hard buttons and REMOVE the on screen buttons?

I NEED 100% of the XGA resolution. I can not upgrade if I am going to lose screen resolution to stupid on screen buttons.

also any chance we could use this update to install an OLDER version of the OS ie the original pre .57 so we can ROOT them again?
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
OlfBookReader

After searching the internet, I have come to the conclusion that unless you have a version of Android prior to Gingerbread, the Vtab cannot be rooted. If I am wrong, please let me know.

My recommendations are if you are happy with the way your Vtab interfaces with Calibre via USB, do not upgrade to Honeycomb. If you enjoy reading your Gmail without squinting, do not upgrade. Yes, the basic fonts (not the reader program) are tiny. Older person that I am, it is difficult to read tiny fonts. There are issues with the screen buttons too.

Marketplace is now called "Play". I guess it's all about the money Google can make selling you media. That is why the computer sees it as a media player.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard

Have a look at xda-developers.com, go to the forum and search for the Vizio tablet. If it can be hacked, if you can revert to Gingerbread, you will find it there. Since the honeycomb port is so they may not have found a way to root it yet. But at most it should be a week or two.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
JAcheson
Tech Writer

It took me a while to get the new Honeycomb file sync working on my Windows XP system at work.

The key is that it now works as an MTP device instead of a USB flash drive.

The key bits:

1) You do not need to turn on USB debugging under Settings/Applications/Development. You do not need to install the Android SDK.

2) You need to install MTP drivers for XP. Just install Windows Media Player 11. You may also need to install the generic Android USB drivers for Windows.

3) Go into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and find your tablet. Update the driver, and select the "I will select the driver" option. Then make sure you select the MTP drivers, not the AD-something drivers for the SDK (I didn't write this down as I was doing it, obviously).

Once you have the MTP device drivers set up, the system will mount your tablet as VTAB1008 under My Computer. The onboard storage and the SD card, if present, will be mounted as separate drives under VTAB1008.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Roger 2008
Roger 2008 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
The one negative is that the buttons in the bezel are disabled in favor of a more conventional placement at the bottom of the screen.
Yes, I dislike the fact that I can no longer run any of my apps in full screen mode because those applications now have to share the screen with those on screen buttons.

I tracked down the exact number of pixels lost to the buttons that were moved into the screen to be 73 or 9.5%. Instead of 1024x768 you will end up with a usable screen of 1024x695 instead and I still can't figure out what purpose it served Google to place the buttons into the screen when they didn't cause any problems where they were at.

But the three things that quit working with the update to Honeycomb make me very mad.

1. Try to play a youtube video by going to m.youtube.com. You can select the video but when you tap on it to play the video all you will get is black where the video should be.

2. Starting from m.youtube.com go down to the very bottom of the page where it says desktop. After you tap on that select browser, select a video and select browser again and the video will start. You can pause the video with just one tap but to restart the video it will require more than just one tap and if you keep tapping on the video itself it will never restart unless you accidentally tap on one of the buttons right below the video.

3. Web pages with embedded youtube videos are a pain in the rear. You can start youtube videos but that is about all you can do. You will have trouble pausing them and forget about clicking on the 'x' to close an advertisement that covers part of the video because I can't do that anymore with my Honeycomb Vizio Tablet. And if the embedded youtube video is down on the page when you zoom in on the page the youtube video will not stay where it was on the page, it will end up much further down that you would expect it to.

Conclusion: I think Vizio upgraded the OS to Honeycomb but they are still using a flashplayer that was written for the Gingerbread since two of the three problems listed above use the Adobe 10.3 Flashplayer when Adobe is now distributing version 11.x of that program.

=============================

Added a day after posting the above:

Since I suspect the version of the Flashplayer Vizio is using on their Honeycomb Tablet to be the biggest problem with their update I ran another test only to find out the updated(?) Vizio Tablet failed there too.

What I did was:

1. Install the Dolphin Browser HD.
2. When I ran the Dolphin Browser HD for the first time I set it up to always use Flash and to look like a Desktop browser.
3. I then went to iheart.com and picked any radio station to stream.
4. When I went to zoom in on that page the items didn't zoom in as if they were connected and not only that when I tried to move the player itself all that moved was the background. That is further proof for me that it is the version of the Flashplayer that is behind 3 of the 4 problems I've seen with the Vizio Honeycomb Tablet. God I wish I could go back to Gingerbread and watch youtube videos in full screen again.

And when I called up Vizio today to make sure my complaint had all the facts I found I was told that they plan to have a fix for the problems in a week. But my concern there is will the fix involve doing what Apple did and write their own version of the flashplayer that removed a lot of options you get with the Adobe Flashplayer.

Last edited by Roger 2008; 04-08-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added info that I found out a day later + spelling
Roger 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote