Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club June 2011 Vote
On The Beach by Nevil Shute 14 34.15%
Seven Japanese Tales by Junchiro Tanazaki 3 7.32%
A Question Of Upbringing by Anthony Powell 5 12.20%
The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov 14 34.15%
Persuasion by Jane Austen 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #31
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Master and Margarita looks quite interesting - mainly because I've been meaning to test whether I have a thing for Russian literature and when the opportunity last came up with Tolstoy, I abstained due to the size.

This one looks like a more palatable dose for me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #32
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I was at the UCSC library today and picked up three books of literary criticism about Master and Margarita and Bulgakov. However the vote goes I would be happy to share anything interesting that I learn from them if people want me to.

Regarding the translation, I would recommend the Pevear and Volohnsky translation.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I was at the UCSC library today and picked up three books of literary criticism about Master and Margarita and Bulgakov. However the vote goes I would be happy to share anything interesting that I learn from them if people want me to.

Regarding the translation, I would recommend the Pevear and Volohnsky translation.
Thanks for your advice. Please, do share anything interesting that you come across.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cool - that seems to be the only decent translation available to me in Amazon. There is one other version but the translator is not mentioned and there are some pretty strong recommendations against reading it - eg bad OCR errors etc..
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #35
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:

I would be happy to share anything interesting ...
I would recommend the Pevear and Volohnsky translation....

Two reasons to find your post useful

I have il Maestro e la Margherita as a pbook. Amazon carries it as ebook.
I will most probably read it on my readers.

I have a tough decision to make. In which language to read it. Reading it in Italian would put me only one step from the original (Russian->Italian), while reading it in English will require two steps (Russian->English->Italian), with the last step probably just nominal as I can address my self in English also.

The problem reverses if I consider the discussion of the book, that will be in English. The last step Italian->English would be certainly steeper, and quoting would have to be more symbolic.

Hum... Better in English altogether, unless I can convince my internal financial controller to let me buy both ... Hum
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I have a tough decision to make. In which language to read it. Reading it in Italian would put me only one step from the original (Russian->Italian), while reading it in English will require two steps (Russian->English->Italian), with the last step probably just nominal as I can address my self in English also.

The problem reverses if I consider the discussion of the book, that will be in English. The last step Italian->English would be certainly steeper, and quoting would have to be more symbolic.
I have the same challenge. Except of course it's Danish vs. an English translation. In English I can read it on the kindle and it will be easier to work with notes and quotes. In Danish there's one less step of translation. I'll have to find out whether the Danish translation is any good before even considering it.

Last edited by Ea; 05-29-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typos
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #37
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As far as On the Beach (which I did read a long time ago) my opinion is that it is dated and of pulp fiction quality.
Yeah, pulp fiction. I had to go there and see what the expression actually means. Clockwork Orange could go there also.

IMMO, Nevil Shute might have reached his peak with No Highway.

from Wikipedia
Spoiler:
The novel contains many of the ingredients that made Shute popular as a novelist, and, like several other of Shute's later novels, includes an element of the supernatural.
Shute's fictional account of a new airliner design being subject to mechanical failure due to metal fatigue after a certain number of flight cycles presaged the similar failures of the de Havilland Comet airliner just six years later. There are many parallels between the novel and the later real-life disasters, surely the result of one aeronautical engineer/author working out the possibilities, which a real and similar design then experienced. (A coincidence has been observed between the aircraft names, the fictional Reindeer and the real-life Comet, "Comet" being in poetry the name of one of Santa Claus's reindeer, but the Comet was named for the prewar de Havilland DH.88 racing aircraft.)
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #38
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Yeah, pulp fiction. I had to go there and see what the expression actually means. Clockwork Orange could go there also.
I always got the impression that Ray Bradbury has somehow earned that lofty "literature" title. But there he is next to Lovecraft and Hammett.

Oh well - maybe I'll forever be lowbrow. I can live with that.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #39
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Those of us needing epub could save a dollar on Master and the Margarita by using this code at checkout: may27us1 when buying from Kobo until May 30.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure what the exact copyright status of Master and Margarita is, but Wikipedia has a link to a website that has the full text of the 1967 Michael Glenny translation as well as the 1997 Pevear AND Volokhonsky translation. There's also several sites that have a pdf of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation which claim it is released under the Creative Commons license.

Make of it what you will.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
How do you edit a post to delete it?

Last edited by CharlieBird; 05-29-2011 at 02:40 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #42
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm going to read The Master and Margarita in any case. If it doesn't win and we are enough people interested, we can have a separate discussion. The Anthony Powell book looks good too, though.
Quote:
Ditto
Change 'read' to re-read... Double Ditto.

I'm also motivated to start A Question of Upbringing, which has been languishing in my library for over a year now.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
How do you edit a post to delete it?
You can't. Just edit it and put *deleted* or similar. Or you can ask a moderator to remove, but it's not necessary.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure what the exact copyright status of Master and Margarita is, but Wikipedia has a link to a website that has the full text of the 1967 Michael Glenny translation as well as the 1997 Pevear AND Volokhonsky translation. There's also several sites that have a pdf of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation which claim it is released under the Creative Commons license.

Thank you for your efforts to locate a text.

I found the Wikipedia link but that text looks like it would be very unpleasant to read. The Pevear and Volokhonsky translation in PDF looks better on the screen and claims to be--as you say--in the public domain. But it, too, would be a strain on the eyes as well as being difficult to navigate. Personally, I don't think I would like to read and study an extended and complex text under those conditions--interesting as the novel undoubtedly is.

The Kindle version would be ideal but is expensive.

These are just my own thoughts. Others, of course, may feel very differently.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #45
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

I would *highly* suspect that the 1997 translation is still under copyright no matter the claim of Creative Commons. The same website has the complete "Hitchhikers Guide" available in PDF also, and I'm *pretty sure* that is still under copyright. Though the author died in 1940, the book was not published for the first time until 1966 and the first English translation later in the 1960's. I've been searching for a legal free copy and all I can find are the questionable and the pirates.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, voting