Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
All Kindle traffic goes thru proxy servers, so Amazon can block any traffic they want to. First, though, I'd go to a friend's house or somewhere you can use another computer that is on a different ISP, so it has to go thru the ISP's firewall. Then see if you can access it from that PC. Unless you have a fixed IP plan, you'll need to figure out a way to dynamically determine your IP address (which changes on each connection). Only after you have it working via pure PC connections would I try to troubleshoot the Kindle connection itself.
No I figured it out. My ISP must block 80, but accessing it from my computer, I wasn't leaving their network, therefore not encountering the firewall. I got it working on the https port.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Man, I would have never thought of using port 443 for anything other than SSL. Brilliant!
I don't actually use Calibre's content server, but this trick now lets me view images from my office webcam on the kindle!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Sweet the latest version of calibre allows the user to set the port to any number no port fowarding is needed. Just set calibre to 443 and it works

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
rpvl
rpvl began at the beginning.

For those on mac or linux, the steps are much shorter:

- Open terminal
- Find the "calibre-server" binary somewhere in you calibre instalation folder (on Mac its: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOs/calibre-server)
- Type: cd /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOs
- Type: sudo ./calibre-server -p 443
- Enter your user account password for sudo
- Done, point your browser to 127.0.0.1:443 and have fun!
rpvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
durand
durand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Uhmmmm, rpvl's got the right idea.

Why is everyone going outside their router when their collection is inside? All I did was start the calibre server on my laptop (running linux, but that's irrelevant), then go to its ip address:8080. Works perfectly. Ubuntu instructions:

Run calibre, start up the server on a port higher than 1024 (I left it as the default, 8080).
Open a terminal, type in: sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw allow 8080
Right click on the network icon on your panel

On your kindle, type in the ip address of your computer as it's shown on the connection info window, along with the port number.

In my case, this was "http://192.168.1.8:8080".

The instructions are pretty much identical for other linux distros, windows and mac. Just don't forget to open up the correct port using your firewall. You really don't need to use your external ip address or anything like was described in the original post unless you don't have a wifi router or if you want to access your collection away from home.
durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"In my case, this was "http://192.168.1.8:8080".

At least at the time this thread was started, the Kindle would not accept urls with port numbers appended. It would only use port 80 if you specified http:// or 443 if you specified https://
If this has changed now, great. Even easier.

Also the original point of this was to access your stuff from OUTSIDE, particularly via the Kindle's 3G connection.

Last edited by ApK; 12-22-2010 at 04:46 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
durand

Oh yeah, I didn't notice the date. Well, hopefully newer users know about the update now
Old 12-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #23
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by durand View Post
Uhmmmm, rpvl's got the right idea.

Why is everyone going outside their router when their collection is inside? ... You really don't need to use your external ip address or anything like was described in the original post unless you don't have a wifi router or if you want to access your collection away from home.
Or if the person is using a K2...
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
durand

Hmmph, I didn't realise that the previous kindles didn't have wifi...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
lmorila
lmorila began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Solution to download PDF from kindle's browser

Hello,

This is my first Thread and english is not my native language, so sorry for any errors....

The Browser in Kindle 3 don´t download various formats (like PDF) So I can't download a PDF from my library.

Any one has a solution to this problem?

I think if we add a button in HTML with an option to send any file to e-mail and send it to xxxx@free.kindle.com the problem is solved. I can do this in Cailbre Content Server? How?

Thank's in advance...
lmorila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:50 AM   #26
darksky84
darksky84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire HD 7
everything worked but is there a way to get book to show up under books tab after downloaded from server to kindle fire?

Last edited by darksky84; 11-29-2015 at 03:52 AM.
darksky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky84 View Post
everything worked but is there a way to get book to show up under books tab after downloaded from server to kindle fire?
See: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote