Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Using HD Folders as Collections on Sony PRS-505

I have a Sony PRS-505 and about 4,000 books sorted into roughly 50 folders on my pc hard drive. I want to use Calibre but only if I can preserve the same structure I already have my books sorted into, namely America Literature, English Literature, etc. I'm not interested in tagging 4,000 books.

I've been using PRSPLUS for its Browse Folder options but it has become tedious always having to copying into memory and fooling around with it.

Can I do what I want with Calibre and how?

Thanks for your help.

Fred
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I installed Calibre and then connected the PRS-505 but, after more than a half hour of scanning the reader, all the books were jumbled together. I don't want to tag them...

Is it possible to set up Calibre so my folder structure is preserved?
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There is a very long discussion on this subject here.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Thanks for the link to the thread.

I've read that reasoning in the past about Calibre and understand many people like that system. I don't and am wondering if there is an alternative way of using Calibre.

In Calibre, I notice a check box under

Preferences > Add/Save > Adding Books

that reads: Read metadata only from file name

The file names of all of my books are formatted like this:
Tolstoy, War and Peace

Is there a way I can use that to sort into collections?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You're using the filesystem for metadata now, right? So, for instance, you have a folder named "American Literature" full of, well, American literature?

Simply import the books one folder at a time. As you import each folder, tag the newly-imported books en masse with the proper category.

Trust me, once you get started using real metadata instead of a filesystem-based kludge, you'll wonder how you managed to endure the old way. I know because I did.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
In Calibre, I notice a check box under

Preferences > Add/Save > Adding Books

that reads: Read metadata only from file name

The file names of all of my books are formatted like this:
Tolstoy, War and Peace

Is there a way I can use that to sort into collections?
The answer to this is almost certainly yes, as long as your current library has a consistent naming convention. You will need to experiment with the 'Regular Expression' box until you get the right match.

I'd like to be more help but I've never used this option myself. I've only ever drag-n-dropped books into calibre. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can offer you specific advice.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Simply import the books one folder at a time. As you import each folder, tag the newly-imported books en masse with the proper category.
Excellent idea!

@fglaysher - You can highlight an entire batch of newly added files and add the tag(s) to all of them at once by just selecting edit metadata and adding the tag(s) in the window.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Under Regular Expression:

(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

Might as well be Greek... For a folder named Tolstoy, do I have to change anything?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Under Regular Expression:

(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

Might as well be Greek... For a folder named Tolstoy, do I have to change anything?
This is out of my area but if your files are - Author, Title then you might want to change the expression around. You can test it under Preferences - Add/Save but you have to make sure the extension is listed to get a working test,

Tolstoy, War and Peace - This won't test.
Tolstoy, War and Peace.epub - This you can test.

The dash might have to be substituted for a comma in the expression?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote