Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Franbo
Franbo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony Reader Library Upgrade to 3.1 - Now Reader No Longer Syncs

Howdy all,

I've had a look through the threads and while I can find many problems I couldn't find reference to mine - hopefully someone will be able to help.

I hadn't synched my PRS-505 for a while (since it all worked fine, just re-charged the battery). But I had a couple of new books so I started up the Library and was prompted to upgrade the library to 3.1.00.12040.

Which I did, seemingly successfully (i.e. the books are in the library, and I can preview them fine in the library).

Alas it all went wrong from there...

When I connect the PRS-505 it is recognised (Reader appears in the menu bar with expanding bar to books/audio/pictures/sync etc.) but alas when I try to synch the Status sits at "Processing" for many hours without anything visibly happening.

I tried a re-set of the reader, but other than all the books vanishing from the reader... no effect.

I have now tried it multiple time after many re-boots of the PC, still with no joy.

If it matters, the PC is Windows Vista 64 Professional.

Anyone have any ideas?

Franbo
Franbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
ronpunaluu
ronpunaluu began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
I am also having a problem syncing my reader. Sony has told me that this is a known problem and to try again tomorrow (Sunday). It is now Wednesday and still no resolution. Sony is "Sorry" and that is about it. I have talked to Tech Reps 5 times and chatted at least that many times. You would think that Sony might test the software before rolling us. I tried to talk to customer service about books that I purchased but cannot download and I no longer need (the were for my son's school project). When I did manage to talk to Sony Customer (dis)Service, they were very rude and told me to call a tech rep.

Now Sony says that it is an Adobe problem authorizing my computer for Adobe Digital Editions (exceed authorizations even though I have not authorized the software). Adobe is trying to match the Sony Customer disService and told me it someone would call within 24 hours (they have not called).

Sounds to me like Sony did not test the software prior to launch.

After the "Service" I have gotten from Sony over this fiasco, I have been recommending to people who want to buy an ereader, to not buy a Sony.
ronpunaluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franbo View Post
Howdy all,

When I connect the PRS-505 it is recognised (Reader appears in the menu bar with expanding bar to books/audio/pictures/sync etc.) but alas when I try to synch the Status sits at "Processing" for many hours without anything visibly happening.

I tried a re-set of the reader, but other than all the books vanishing from the reader... no effect.

Franbo
I had a very similar problem. At first, the problem was limited to the Library "seeing" the 505 but not interacting with it. I did multiple hard resets that didn't fix the problem, and in fact, made it worse in that (1) Library, calibre and my computer (Mac) didn't even see the Reader most of the time and (2) the 505 froze, and gave me a fractured, B/W reversed screen image.

I did, however, manage to cure the problem, as follows:

I attached my 505 to my computer, checked to make sure that the red recharge light was on, and left it attached to the computer for two hours. I then disconnected the 505 from the computer, did yet another hard reset, and presto, everything was back to normal.

I have no idea why this worked. Magic, I suppose. But give it a shot & maybe it will work for you, too.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
fkasten
fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
Franbo, are most or all of the books in your Library BBeB Secure (ie. .lrx)? If so, the new Library won't sync them. In fact, they're probably gone from the Library even though they show as a listing. You can manually move any non-Secure books (.lrf) and redownload previously purchased books from Sony in ePub. Delete all listing in your Library first.
fkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
imaxtian
imaxtian began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505 sony
Will try redownload the books....It looks like it's working!
imaxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
defballz
defballz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Weird but this worked for me...

I was having a problem with my PRS-505 not syncing, it would just sit on processing forever and I had a problem with duplicates within the library on the device. All I did was cancel the sync, and go in and uncheck the sync library checkbox under the Sync category under the device. Then I just grabbed one of the books from the local library and dragged it into the reader and voila it sync'd and everything is good...
defballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
i tried DL it hasnt worked on win 7 64 like the other sony version, i just give up on sony software.
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
i just give up on sony software.
That may be a good idea.
Even the new 3.3 version isn't that better.
Sony just had no idea about writing good software.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
epk
epk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Had a similar problem, found this solution on another site: It looks like if you delete one of the files to be sync'ed from your harddrive then the Sony software hangs. In the Library, preview each book that is to be synced and see if any are missing. I found one, and once deleted it from my library, synced fine.

The sad thing is the solution I found was for ver 3.1. I'm using ver 3.3. So obviously 2 minor releases and they haven't fixed such a stupid bug. I do some programming for my company and would be embarrassed about this bug, but would promptly release a new version just for this fix. Sony apparently has no such qualms about ignoring these bugs. I'm going to go check out calibre.
epk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
That may be a good idea.
Even the new 3.3 version isn't that better.
Sony just had no idea about writing good software.

To bump up an old thread! I couldn't agree more because I've had the same problem since I also downloaded the software update, and now it just synchs for ever without downloading anything. Plus I can't seem to get anything from W H Smith either as their software isn't compatible with Windows...Am seriously thinking of getting a Kindle for ease of downloading. The only thing stopping me is what do I do about the books I've bought for the Sony?!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpunaluu View Post
<SNIP>

After the "Service" I have gotten from Sony over this fiasco, I have been recommending to people who want to buy an ereader, to not buy a Sony.
The Sony readers are fantastic. The problem is not with the reader, it's with their software. When I got my PRS-650 I installed the Reader Library and later the same day downloaded and installed calibre. I don't think I've used the Sony application since. calibre does everything I want to do; way more than the stock application. I'm still finding new things I can do with it.

I can't understand why anyone would want to use Reader Library, especially with all the aggravation it appears to be giving. Where is the advantage in it?

K
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I never had any problem with Sony reader library. It works wonderfully with me, so i wonder what are people doing to come up with so many problems...

But even if it didn't, the Sony reader itself is so much better than other ereaders to justify the purchase. They are great.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't have a problem with the program not working, but it drives me nuts to have so little control over it! I'm used to customize settings in software so things gets saved where I want them saved and what folders open up when going to "computer" to add books to the "library list" for example.
To call the "preference" options pathetic is an understatement if there ever was one!
So, all I use it for is doing early returns of library books and the occasional "collection" transfer. Calibre is my best friend for everything else.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
I keep most of my books on my computer and only have a few on my reader, those of the short story genre mostly, so I simply have no need to use the sync function. I wonder if having a great many books on the reader makes it not as good in the overall speed of reading department, anyone have any ideas?
I find the sony reader software fine for my needs and it works great with the local library loan system.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
djbruss
djbruss began at the beginning.

Device: trs-1
Unable to SYNC SONY reader

Have been using a recently purchased SONY READER PRS-T1 black screen only.

Have purchased 14 E-books since first buying the Reader, and experinced absolutely no problems.

However, just wanted to purchase another new novel today 2/22/2012 and was prompted somewhere in the process to download the latest and greatest Reader software, which I did.

Unfortunately, now I can no longer "sync" the material between the reader and the reader software on the laptop. Purchase did load to the reader, but, no sync, no matter what I did or however many times I tried.

Help documentation gives no new meaning to my problem. Has the new reader software gone south and no longer works? I read that some users have a somewhat similar problem, just not sure.
djbruss is offline   Reply With Quote