Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
We have a Star Trek ebook? Where?

I second 'Little Brother.' Can we nominate short story collections, or only novels? I have been meaning to read the Kelly Link collection 'Stranger Things happen' and I know she's contemporary and freely available here.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
I third Little Brother by Cory Doctorow and at the same time nominate 1984 by George Orwell along the same lines (and quite contemporary considering Amazon's actions in just the last week.)
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas View Post
I third Little Brother by Cory Doctorow and at the same time nominate 1984 by George Orwell along the same lines (and quite contemporary considering Amazon's actions in just the last week.)
When Little Brother comes out in paperback, I plan to offer to supply 25-30 copies to my local high school for use in their senior US Government course. My hope would be that students would read both 1984 and Little Brother and discuss how to preserve public safety without taking away personal liberties. Also the role of dissent and how governments respond to it.

By the way, did anyone know that Little Brother had been turned into a play? It just finished a short run at the Griffin Theatre in Chicago. See http://www.griffintheatre.com/NewLit...therPage1.html

Last edited by Elsi; 07-20-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
1984 isn't in our library or free. So that can't be nominated.

BOb
Old 07-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #20
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
1984 isn't in our library or free. So that can't be nominated.

BOb
Yes, it is. The title is "Nineteen Eighty-Four", NOT "1984"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=nineteen
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Yes, it is. The title is "Nineteen Eighty-Four", NOT "1984"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=nineteen
Oh, sorry. I thought this book was still under copyright.

BOb
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh, sorry. I thought this book was still under copyright.

BOb
From Wikipedia (not checked elsewhere)"
Quote:
Nineteen Eighty-Four will not enter the public domain in the United States until 2044 and in the European Union until 2020, although it is public domain in countries such as Canada, Russia, and Australia.
So it is and it isn't
Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it would be fun to compare/contrast and discuss Little Brother and 1984. It's obvious that the title of Doctorow's book is taken from the "Big Brother" in Orwell's novel.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #24
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I would like to nominate Topper by Jason Thorne Smith. It meets the criteria by being set during the period from 1900 to now and it was a free read I downloaded from Munseys (I'll check on th origin and get back to you). However, I think the author might be dead.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I would like to nominate Topper by Jason Thorne Smith. It meets the criteria by being set during the period from 1900 to now and it was a free read I downloaded from Munseys (I'll check on th origin and get back to you). However, I think the author might be dead.
I have to disagree with Topper being contemporary.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to nominate Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.

Quote:
Jules is a young man barely a century old. He’ss lived long enough to see the cure for death and the end of scarcity, to learn ten languages and compose three symphonies...and to realize his boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World. Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now in the care of a network of volunteer “ad-hocs” who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches. Now, though, it seems the “ad-hocs” are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of the Presidents and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself. Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It’s only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it’s war: war for the soul of the Magic Kingdom, a war of ever-shifting reputations, technical wizardry, and entirely unpredictable outcomes.

Bursting with cutting-edge speculation and human insight, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom reads like Neal Stephenson meets Nick Hornby: a coming-age romantic comedy and a kick-butt cybernetic tour de force.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would like to nominate Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.
I'll second that
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
We have a Star Trek ebook? Where?

I second 'Little Brother.' Can we nominate short story collections, or only novels? I have been meaning to read the Kelly Link collection 'Stranger Things happen' and I know she's contemporary and freely available here.
We do have a Star trek eBook here. It's a TOS novel. It's Music of the Spheres by Margaret Wander Bonanno.

It's the only Star Trek book I think we'll ever have here legally.

LRF - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11822
PRC - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12979
IMP - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14114
PDB - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15001

I really should make an ePub of this one.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #29
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
I'd like to second Nineteen Eighty-Four, even though it's not out of copyright everywhere...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
macaruchi
macaruchi began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v
I would like to nominate 1984.
Closed Thread