Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
elenablue
elenablue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
I need help! Kindle touch bricked!

Hello,
I've got a problem with my Kindle Touch; I bought it from a friend of mine, and he installed Duokan. I gave it to my mother and she has deleted something; the device doesn't turn on, only appears progress bar but nothing more.
I've tried to unbrick by using Kubrick, but when the process has ended, the Kindle wasn't unbricked.
Can I unbrick the devide by any other process? Can I reinstall the OS someway?
I've tried too reset the Kindle by pressing power button for 20 seconds. The Kindle is out of garanty.
Thank you very much for your help, and sorry for my english, hope you understand me!
elenablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
elenablue

Ok, thanks. Anyone can help me, please?

Last edited by elenablue; 07-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenablue View Post
Ok, thanks. Anyone can help me, please?
Kubrick does not modify the contents of the USB storage area that the user sees over the USB cable.

Duokan (Dorkian?) is in the USB storage area.
Did you remove it or uninstal it?
Before or after running Kubrick on it?

I don't have a K5touch myself, so I don't know first hand if Kubrick has an option for re-creating the USB storage area on your device.
But if it does, that would get rid of Dorkian for certain.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Kubrick does not modify the contents of the USB storage area that the user sees over the USB cable.

Duokan (Dorkian?) is in the USB storage area.
Did you remove it or uninstal it?
Before or after running Kubrick on it?

I don't have a K5touch myself, so I don't know first hand if Kubrick has an option for re-creating the USB storage area on your device.
But if it does, that would get rid of Dorkian for certain.
Nope, it doesn't (yet? ;-) ).

@elenablue: Can you still access the USB drive when the Kindle is on? (Maybe even just for a short time after it reboots?)

If so, delete *everything* (and I mean *everything*) on the Kindle, then try to re-run Kubrick and also check the checkbox to delete the internal data.

If you can't... then it might be time to implement the feature to completely blast the USB storage into Kubrick, too.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Nope, it doesn't (yet? ;-) ).
- - - -
It might be time to implement the feature to completely blast the USB storage into Kubrick, too.
We recently had someone try to fix a seriously damaged USB storage area by re-formating it in Windows.
Which really didn't do much of anything good to the Kindle's FAT layout.

Plus - that one layer of the stacked "export" is mounted errors=remount-ro
(or, whatever the correct form of that option is)

Probably one source of the "I can't make lasting changes to USB storage" problem reports.

Hmm...
I guess switching the device to diags mode, stopping the fuse export stack if running, un-mounting both layers of the stack, re-formatting mmcblk0p4 with the Kindle specific layout, then putting everything back together is the only answer.

OR
Just zero the first 16 blocks of mmcblk0p4 and force the Kindle to re-boot and fix it, itself.
BUT - we learned last week that the "custom kernel" for the Kindles does not detect/perform the re-build like a stock kernel does.
(All done by the initramfs, which might be what fixed this one, during the re-boot.)

ADD TO:
Summer of Kode Challenge list.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We recently had someone try to fix a seriously damaged USB storage area by re-formating it in Windows.
Which really didn't do much of anything good to the Kindle's FAT layout.

Plus - that one layer of the stacked "export" is mounted errors=remount-ro
(or, whatever the correct form of that option is)

Probably one source of the "I can't make lasting changes to USB storage" problem reports.

Hmm...
I guess switching the device to diags mode, stopping the fuse export stack if running, un-mounting both layers of the stack, re-formatting mmcblk0p4 with the Kindle specific layout, then putting everything back together is the only answer.

OR
Just zero the first 16 blocks of mmcblk0p4 and force the Kindle to re-boot and fix it, itself.
BUT - we learned last week that the "custom kernel" for the Kindles does not detect/perform the re-build like a stock kernel does.
(All done by the initramfs, which might be what fixed this one, during the re-boot.)

ADD TO:
Summer of Kode Challenge list.
Bah... it's already on my TODO list for Kubrick 3.5
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, the factory reset script does it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IIRC, the factory reset script does it.
Oh, that would make it even easier.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
elenablue

Thank you everybody. My kindle is unbricked.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenablue View Post
Thank you everybody. My kindle is unbricked.
How did you do it?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
elenablue

I reinstalled Duokan and after with Kubrick!

Tags
bricked, doesn't work, kindle touch, unbrick