Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
What happens if the battery runs out of power while you're reading

Well, first of all, it makes for long titles on forums. He.

What happens with the Cybook is that you're stuck on the last page you've read (somewhat distressing if that happens to be one of the last pages of a mystery novel ...) and none of the buttons is working any longer (not even the power off or the reset button). But this is no reason to panic! Connecting the reader to a power source for a few moments will give it enough energy to enable you to switch it off properly before you connect it again to the power source.

And if you had planned to spent a nice, cozy afternoon with reading and sipping tea ... well ... there are still print books, no? Or you might want to clean your flat or go for a nice, long walk. Taking a walk is supposed to be terribly healthy. Or so I've heard.
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post
What happens with the Cybook is that you're stuck on the last page you've read
That's because the eInk screen requires no power to display an image. Thus, as you say, you can be left with a completely "dead" machine that's still showing the page of a book. It can be a little disconcerting the first time it happens if you're used to devices which go "blank" when the power runs out .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Just happened to me. I don't understand why since the battery was at 40% last night. I've left it on over night, with a book page opened. It shouldn't have drained the battery off...
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I've never seen a battery reading below 40%, and I've run out of power a few times. It's a bit disconcerting the first time... Clearly a battery-level indication while reading is going to be a big improvement. It would also be nice if the current book/page was written to whatever persistent memory there is every time a page-turn is invoked, rather than just on the auto-shutdown. As mentioned in another thread, if you have been continuously reading a book with no shutdowns (or returns to the Library) and the power goes, you lose your place. And with no page-number display either, it becomes a bit of a hunting exercise to get back to where you (were) left off (:
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
I've never seen a battery reading below 40%, and I've run out of power a few times. It's a bit disconcerting the first time... Clearly a battery-level indication while reading is going to be a big improvement. It would also be nice if the current book/page was written to whatever persistent memory there is every time a page-turn is invoked, rather than just on the auto-shutdown. As mentioned in another thread, if you have been continuously reading a book with no shutdowns (or returns to the Library) and the power goes, you lose your place. And with no page-number display either, it becomes a bit of a hunting exercise to get back to where you (were) left off (:

My belief is that the battery-level indicator isn't all that accurate below 40%. And we really NEED to have either the indicator visible inside the ebooks, or a Battery Low warning. However, I've actually gotten to as low as 10% before suffering device shutdown. This has always happened when I was in the middle of a long stretch of ebook reading so I think that there is something to the whole 'leaving it unattended and powered on drains more than it should' concept.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's because the eInk screen requires no power to display an image. Thus, as you say, you can be left with a completely "dead" machine that's still showing the page of a book. It can be a little disconcerting the first time it happens if you're used to devices which go "blank" when the power runs out .
And I keep wondering why Bookeen decided to flash the screen when you switch off the device. Would be really neat if that last displayed content would stay on the screen when switching the device off. The CyBook then would not only serve as an ebook reader, but also as an electronic picture frame
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
And I keep wondering why Bookeen decided to flash the screen when you switch off the device. Would be really neat if that last displayed content would stay on the screen when switching the device off. The CyBook then would not only serve as an ebook reader, but also as an electronic picture frame
I would guess it's simply that people "expect" a screen to be blank when you switch the device off. Leaving the image displayed would probably result in lots of technical support e-mails saying "it won't switch off" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
SandySchwab
Mad Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can be a little disconcerting the first time it happens if you're used to devices which go "blank" when the power runs out .
Just a leeettle bit! *lol* At first I was running around and about like a headless chicken, before I came to the rational conclusion that many hours of reading probably equalled low battery and hence dead Cybook.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just a leeettle bit! *lol* At first I was running around and about like a headless chicken, before I came to the rational conclusion that many hours of reading probably equalled low battery and hence dead Cybook.
Welcome to the wonderful world of ASSUMPTIONS! Yep. I'd had mine for about two-three weeks and I'd been uploading and downloading and erasing ebooks - which all takes hooking up to the computer, so it was constantly getting charged - and finally I had it off of the computer for several days (Yes - DAYS! I tend to read many-many pages for many-many hours at a time.) and it just FROZE.

Of course, this was back in the bad old days of version 0.91 firmware. Let me tell you, you young whippersnappers don't know how EASY you have it these days! Back in MY day, we had to walk eight miles to school in the middle of a blizzard - uphill both coming and going!

Derek
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
When the same happened to me I did not come to a rational conclusion unfortunately but continued to run around like a headless chicken. Among the many things which I tried was to unplug and replug the battery. Nothing would work. I reported my mischief to Bookeen and after some correspondence to and fro I finally received the famous RMA number (return to manufacturer authorization). Bookeen kept the device for a few days and then it came back and worked impeccably. The verdict was as follows:

The issue was in fact due to the battery being plugged the other side around.
It is normally not possible to insert it the wrong way.
By chance, nothing was damaged

Thus the battery not correctly plugged in there was no recharge and the device remained dead.
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
SandySchwab
Mad Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Back in MY day, we had to walk eight miles to school in the middle of a blizzard - uphill both coming and going!
Really, Derek, if you take your Cybook out into a blizzard you shouldn't be surprised the poor thing freezes.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Really, Derek, if you take your Cybook out into a blizzard you shouldn't be surprised the poor thing freezes.
And here I thought it was just dying of embarrassment!

Derek