Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
LostSock
Enthusiast
LostSock began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tables cutting off midriff

I've been searching through this forum to find the solution, but I'm a bit stumped.

I have a list of chronological events, which in the print book is in two columns. Very short bits of info, with dates.

I tried doing two floating text boxes, where one entire column was set with

float: left;
width: 45%;

and the other for right sided values, with sufficient padding between them. That didn't work at all in Adobe digital editions, as it stripped out everything except my italics.

Next I tried a table, but that leaves a huge amount of space between my page title, and when I scroll down, I only see one page of data.

Is there a limit to how much information I can put in a table? Or is a table just twitchy in ADE?

From the style sheet:
Code:
table, td, th
  {
  border:none;
  }
  td
  {
   vertical-align:top;
  }
The code in the book:
Code:
 <table>
      <tr>
        <td>blah x 30</td>
 <td>blah x 37</td>
</tr>
</table>
LostSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What are you trying to achieve? It is possible to make more than 1 column in an ePUB. It is on the forum somewhere.
I use tables sometimes and although the layout is somewhat limited, I have not found much troubles yet. Granted, the tables were not that complicated.
A table can be larger than a page, at least on my reader.

On what reader are you trying this?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
LostSock
Enthusiast

Adobe Digital Reader, is what's giving me the issues. It seems like it should be simple, and I've successfully created tables before, but this one just cuts right off.

I'll go search for two columns on the forum, thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSock View Post
Adobe Digital Reader, is what's giving me the issues. It seems like it should be simple, and I've successfully created tables before, but this one just cuts right off.

I'll go search for two columns on the forum, thanks.
If you work with odt format you can very easily export to PDF.
You also can produce easily tables from odt files in EPUB format with W2X and LibreOffice

Here is a joint example
Attached Files
File Type: zip flotte.zip (29.0 KB, 125 views)
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Tables don't break well across pages.

Do you need to present the data in columns? Can't you use a "description list" or just normal text?

Code:
<dl>
  <dt>1492</dt>
  <dd>Columbus arrives to the New World</dd>
</dl>
Code:
<p><b>1492</b>&mdash;Columbus arrives to the New World</p>
Also, if there is no relationship between the two columns (i.e., if it's printed as two columns only because it fits and to save paper) it's better to present it as a single column.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
LostSock
Enthusiast

Thanks Roger, if I can't get it in Sigil I'll try yours.

Jelby, that's exactly the information that's int he columns. There's two columns in the book because one is a timeline of historical events for a certain family, and the second column is a general 'this is what's going on in the world.

I like the list idea, but it is presented with columns so you can compare the family's history to real world history. Bah.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Yeah, I've had a similar problem.

Think it's just ADE. Do post back if you find a solution!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote