Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
Rimbaud
Rimbaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Sony Reader
Question about the Battery

I received my iLiad tonight and its acting pretty strange. For a while I thought it might have bricked itself. But then I thought maybe the battery meter is screwed up. So my question is... when you received your iLiad was the battery charged or uncharged? (When mine arrived it showed a full battery.)
Rimbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
For mine, it was about 80% (judge by the battery icon) charged when I turned it on first time. But it was used up quickly.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Rimbaud

Thanks each. I had my iLiad for 1 hour and 45 minutes before it froze up and started acting strange. But, what it was doing would seem to be consistent with running out of power (freezing up and still displaying the page.) But... running down in 1hr and 45 mins? Hmmmm.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Had the same problem: Battery showed 80% so i played around a little bit. For example the Touch screen didn't work.

After charging it for several hours everything worked fine.
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
Rimbaud

Thanks Tscherno that's reassuring. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Mine was almost totally empty (and showed it) when it arrived yesterday, I think 1/2 hour was all it gave me before "freezing" (that is SO scary!! LOL), it's been fine since. You might need to hit reset before turning it on, though.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
The battery is probably installed partial charged in the iLiad and needs to be calibrated with the iLiad before it can show you a more accurate reading. Remeber that the reading is based on the power consumption and the battery doesn't know any info on that at first.

What you should do is charge it the first time until 100% then discharge it until it goes off by itself and repeat that 2 times more. After that you can charge it whenever you want. It's always a good idea to let it drain completely ones in 30 charges so it will reset again.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Glad to see I am not the only one having issues but mine may be slightly different. I plugged mine in last night when I got home from work. This morning after roughly 9 hours of charging, I removed it and brought it to work. During a break, about 3 hours into the shift, I took out my Iliad and tried turning it on and nothing. I then plugged it into an outlet and it is working fine, but the indicating light is doing nothing except the faintest green flicker and the battery meter shows empty. This is about a half hour into charging. I would have thought that the battery meter would have shown at least something no matter how minimal.

I will check it again in a few hours, but right now I fear I got a unit with a bad battery. Life would have been a lot easier if they designed this with user replaceable batteries.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Rimbaud

Pitcher, I'm guessing that since the screen doesn't refresh itself automatically, you may need to go into a different menu, or initiate some action on the device so that the screen refreshes. It might be that the battery really IS charging up but that the page is remaining static due to no activity.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
You know what would be a good idea? That if you switch the unit off that the iLiad will load a doc saying "The unit is off". :P
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
pitcher23
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaud
Pitcher, I'm guessing that since the screen doesn't refresh itself automatically, you may need to go into a different menu, or initiate some action on the device so that the screen refreshes. It might be that the battery really IS charging up but that the page is remaining static due to no activity.

I did that and even downloaded the update, so the screen refreshed several times. I also explored the different features while the device was plugged in. I left the Iliad alone for 2 hours and now just unplugged it and it will not turn back on. It will only work while plugged in, so I am guessing I got a bum battery in my Iliad.

Time to contact tech support.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
Rimbaud

Mine was doing that last night. What worked for me was to plug it in, hit the reset button, then leave it alone (without trying to turn it on etc.); and just leave it plugged in without touching it for about 4.5 hours. It took about an hour just for the red light to come on. After that it seemed to straighten itself out and I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood). I'm beginning to think that one of the iLiad's missions is to teach us all patience.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
pitcher23
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaud
Mine was doing that last night. What worked for me was to plug it in, hit the reset button, then leave it alone (without trying to turn it on etc.); and just leave it plugged in without touching it for about 4.5 hours. It took about an hour just for the red light to come on. After that it seemed to straighten itself out and I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood). I'm beginning to think that one of the iLiad's missions is to teach us all patience.
Patience I can do. Jumping through hoops using process of elimination on a new device? Not so good. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it and post back here a minimum of 5 hrs from now
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #14
pitcher23
Zealot

No good. It still won't charge. Now to my last option before calling Tech. I'm going to leave it unplugged all night. I will plug it in in the morning. If I see no red light I will do the reset method that Rimbaud mentioned and leave it alone for the time I am at work. If I come home and it's charged great. If not, then it's time to call tech.

It is disappointing to say the least. I did have the red light when I charged it last night, but by morning the light was out and I just assumed that the charging was complete.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
Rimbaud

Ouch, I'm really sorry about that Pitcher. I hope it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!