Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #766
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
To answer the first question you posed: yes, the Aura HD is worth getting.

Should you wait for something new that may appear sometime and which may somehow surpass the Aura HD? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how you value the time you could have in the meantime enjoying reading on the Aura HD...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #767
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khromov View Post
Is the Aura HD still worth getting at this time, or should you hold out for the next model? I doubt there will be an increase in resolution but perhaps a better looking screen.

Anyone keep track of the timeline for Kobo product announces? When can we expect new models soon?
The Glo and Aura were out in the Autumn but the Aura HD was April last year. Also, the Aura HD was announced as a limited edition, so there is no guarantee that there will be an updated version. Personally, I'd just go ahead an buy it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #768
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The Glo and Aura were out in the Autumn but the Aura HD was April last year. Also, the Aura HD was announced as a limited edition, so there is no guarantee that there will be an updated version. Personally, I'd just go ahead an buy it.
I agree. I have a feeling that there won't be an updated version of the Aura HD, which is a shame; however, I feel like the beautiful screen on the Aura HD will keep me from wanting to upgrade for years to come.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #769
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I agree. I have a feeling that there won't be an updated version of the Aura HD, which is a shame; however, I feel like the beautiful screen on the Aura HD will keep me from wanting to upgrade for years to come.
The screen is currently the best available, and is likely to remain among the best for a time. The CPU and memory capacity are in the top tier also. These things can not be changed on an existing device in hand, only by its replacement with an improved model. But the software is a different story, the readers (even to some little extent, the Kobo software) can and are being upgraded all the time. The AuraHD that I have now is a much improved ereader from what I received from Kobo initially. The KOreader builds have implemented a steady improvement and expansion in functionality and continues to do so. The Kobo Start Menu provides a startup user interface with options that I find much more useful than the Nickel UI that Kobo provided. There is still plenty of potential for the AuraHD's increased functionality.

If you can find an ereader with a better screen, a faster CPU, more memory, and continued development, then you should consider that instead of the AuraHD. Until then how could you do better?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #770
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The screen is currently the best available, and is likely to remain among the best for a time.
Unless perhaps they release a Carta version using the Regal waveform?

Quote:
But the software is a different story, the readers (even to some little extent, the Kobo software) can and are being upgraded all the time. The AuraHD that I have now is a much improved ereader from what I received from Kobo initially. The KOreader builds have implemented a steady improvement and expansion in functionality and continues to do so. The Kobo Start Menu provides a startup user interface with options that I find much more useful than the Nickel UI that Kobo provided.
This assumes one is able to/wants to hack their device to add KOreader, or other software. The Kobo built firmware hasn't really improved much IMO since the Aura HD came out although there have been plenty of versions. It goes forwards a step sometimes and backwards a step at other times.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #771
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless perhaps they release a Carta version using the Regal waveform?

This assumes one is able to/wants to hack their device to add KOreader, or other software. The Kobo built firmware hasn't really improved much IMO since the Aura HD came out although there have been plenty of versions. It goes forwards a step sometimes and backwards a step at other times.
It is not really accurate to describe the alternative readers as a hack of the Kobo software. The Kobo software is fully functional, in fact the alternative readers can be launched in the same manner as a book is selected with the kobo software. They can all coexist side by side.

Luck;
Ken
An Install Guide.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #772
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess by hack I mean you have to do something to the device besides just copy a file over and have it work, not that you have to replace the Kobo firmware or anything.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #773
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I guess by hack I mean you have to do something to the device besides just copy a file over and have it work, not that you have to replace the Kobo firmware or anything.
Just like doing the Kobo Firmware upgrade yourself, it is only a matter of copying over a few files. You can install tshering's "Kobo Start Menu" by copying the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory and then install Koreader by just copying over the "koreader" folder to the .kobo directory.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #774
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input!

For people who have tried it, how much "better" is the Regal waveform technology as opposed to those in older models? I'm currently using a Kindle Keyboard which I think is fairly good in terms of contrast, but I haven't seen any new models..
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #775
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khromov View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input!

For people who have tried it, how much "better" is the Regal waveform technology as opposed to those in older models? I'm currently using a Kindle Keyboard which I think is fairly good in terms of contrast, but I haven't seen any new models..
The waveform technology simply reduces the need for a full screen refresh. The real improvement is in the screen itself; the "Pearl" screen has greatly improved contrast over the Vizplex screen that the KK has, and the "Carta" screen is better still.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #776
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I keep being tempted by the Aura HD because of the screen size more than anything, but overall, I don't think it'd be a big-enough improvement over my PW1 to justify it at this point. If I didn't have the Paperwhite, I'd probably have the Aura HD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The waveform technology simply reduces the need for a full screen refresh. The real improvement is in the screen itself; the "Pearl" screen has greatly improved contrast over the Vizplex screen that the KK has, and the "Carta" screen is better still.
I'm pretty sure that the Kindle Keyboard (aka Kindle 3) has a Pearl screen.

I've gathered that Carta, while better, isn't as huge an upgrade from Pearl as Pearl was compared to Vizplex (that one pretty much meant that as soon as I'd taken one look at my then-new Kindle 3, my Sony 505 went to the nearest drawer and has stayed there since), but at this stage of eInk development, more gradual improvement instead of huge leaps is to be expected.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #777
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Kindle Keyboard (aka Kindle 3) has a Pearl screen.
Apologies - you're right. It does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote