Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
ophelia
ophelia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question Best e-Reader For Organization

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what you think is the best e-reader for organization of books. I'm currently using Calibre to convert files, but I'd like to be able to create shelves in Calibre and have them appear on my e-reader after I've disconnected it from the computer.

I've heard that Kindles are good for this (is this true?), but does anyone know if anything else is? I have a Nook Color currently.

ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Kindles are only good for that if you jailbreak and hack them.

Kobos work wonderfully well with Calibre. I am not sure about the Nook Simple Touch.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Kindles are only good for that if you jailbreak and hack them.

Kobos work wonderfully well with Calibre. I am not sure about the Nook Simple Touch.
Does the Kindle or Kobo let you organize with shelves through Calibre and have it show up after ejecting the device?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you're not against tablets, then Calibre Companion+Mantano Reader Premium for Android and Marvin Reader for iPad work very well.

So far though, best e-ink reader I've used in terms of organization and customization is still the Sony PRS-350 running PRS+ custom firmware. It even supports hierarchical collections.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
Does the Kindle or Kobo let you organize with shelves through Calibre and have it show up after ejecting the device?
The Kindle, no, unless you jailbreak and add several custom hacks, and even then, you have to run a program on the Kindle after you eject it for them to go in the collections.

For Kobo, yes, once you have your settings in Calibre arranged properly. Eject, and they go right on the shelves they are supposed to.

The Sony T1 I had would also work well in that respect. It makes book organization on the device easy-peasy.

I'm getting a Nook Simple Touch to play with, so I'll find out if it works on that, or not.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sony is also very good, and the shelves are fast and efficient. calibre collections or shelves were first created for the Sony line AFAIK and have a few extra Sony features or tweaks.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
In my opinion, the easiest ereader for collections working with Calibre is a Sony reader.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, I abandoned my original Nook for a Sony, because I needed easy organization, and Sony collections via Calibre tags is great!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I wish Sony made a lighted reader look the Nook with Glow, because the Sony organization was unbeatable. I miss it every day. I do too much night reading to go back to a clip-on light with all the glare though.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I wish Sony made a lighted reader look the Nook with Glow, because the Sony organization was unbeatable. I miss it every day. I do too much night reading to go back to a clip-on light with all the glare though.
Here's hoping Sony listens to you this year when the new versions are announced!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Nook STR does NOT allow you to organize your collections through calibre. One of the few things I really dislike about it.
Makes it pointless to add several books in a series at once, unless you remember the order yourself. Bleh.

And just want to "X" for Sony. My 505, 350, T1 [when I had one] were the MOSTEST excellent ever when it came to series and tags through calibre.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Nook handles folders. For me, it is superior to Sony collections.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
ophelia

Thanks so much for all your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it and it will definitely help me when I get my new e-reader.