Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
Debian chroot for Kobo

Hi,

inspired by the Kindle OS thread I experimented with getting Debian wheezy to run in a chroot on my Kobo Touch and it runs pretty well. Xorg works fine with fbdev, just the touchscreen needed a bit of fixing in xorg-input-evdev since the driver sends out broken coordinates when a touch is ended (see the modified sources in the home directory in the image) and calibration (use xinput_calibrator or if that doesn't work do it manually in /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

To try it out put http://andreas.heider.io/kobo_debian/debian.ext3 http://andreas.heider.io/kobo_debian/debian.sh on your onboard storage, telnet/ssh to the kobo and run /mnt/onboard/debian.sh

I preinstalled some software from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195702 so there's a nice menu and a few somewhat working programs. But since it's debian and a fully working X-server you can run whatever you want.

I'll post some screenshots and more info tomorrow.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Great job regarding the broken coordinates, this is also an issue with my port of kindlepdfviewer, I'll see what I can come up with.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Foosho
Foosho began at the beginning.

I managed to install and start-up Debian on the Kobo Touch (using the plugin interface), but the touch screen does not function properly (as was expected from the startpost)

How to do the following to fix this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
(use xinput_calibrator or if that doesn't work do it manually in /etc/X11/xorg.conf).
(I tried to execute xinpunt_calibrator by editing debian.sh, but it did not run and editing the .ext3 file itself seemed not the way to go to me)

Last edited by Foosho; 02-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Foosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosho View Post
I managed to install and start-up Debian on the Kobo Touch (using the plugin interface), but the touch screen does not function properly (as was expected from the startpost)

How to do the following to fix this?

(I tried to execute xinpunt_calibrator by editing debian.sh, but it did not run and editing the .ext3 file itself seemed not the way to go to me)
Try setting up telnet or ssh via Wifi (or usbnet if you want it to be more reliable) and execute debian.sh from there. Then you get a shell and you can run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput_calibrator".
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
nicklas519
nicklas519 began at the beginning.

Hello ,
can anyone of you explain me , how i can install this and get the xserver running on the eink display ?

Thanks ,

nicklas519
nicklas519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklas519 View Post
Hello ,
can anyone of you explain me , how i can install this and get the xserver running on the eink display ?

Thanks ,

nicklas519
What have you done so far? Did you follow the directions in the first post?
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
nicklas519
nicklas519 began at the beginning.

I have put http://andreas.heider.io/kobo_debian/debian.ext3 http://andreas.heider.io/kobo_debian/debian.sh on my onboard storage, telnet/ssh to the kobo and run /mnt/onboard/debian.sh

But i can´t see anything on my kobos screen .

Thanks
nicklas519
nicklas519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
spahlimi
spahlimi began at the beginning.

Hi,

i've been trying to run Debian on my Kobo Touch. So i copied debian.ext3 and debian.sh to my Kobo Touch and started Debian from the Serial Console of my Kobo.

I actually see the Desktop, but touch is not working. So i tried "DISPLAY=:0 xinput_calibrator" as suggested above, but i only got: Unable to connect to X server. Same Problem with other x-Applications as xterm.

Setting some Calibration Values in xorg.conf didn't do the trick too.

Now when i am touching the screen i always get: Divide by Zero in xf86ScaleAxis.

Has anyone here figured out how to get the Touchscreen running?

Michael
spahlimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
spahlimi
spahlimi began at the beginning.

Ok, i managed to fix one problem by myself: I had to set DISPLAY to :6 or :7 instead of :0. Which one can be found out by "ps ux | grep X".

But this did not solve everything: i ran input_calibrator, touched the first calibration point. Then the Cursor jumps to the next position. Now i can touch the screen on any point, the program does not accept my input.

Can anybody give me any advice?
spahlimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 AM   #10
russellcwarren
russellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo mini
has anybody managed to get this working properly on the mini? i can telnet and run debian.sh just fine. but its command line only, no x server. i am using mini firmware 2.6.2. thank you
russellcwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Would this work on a kobo aura 1st edition?
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It doesn't work on my Glo HD. It just shows a distorted image on the screen and gives this output:

Quote:
[root@(none) onboard]# ./debian.sh
root@(none):/# hostname: Name or service not known
xauth: file //.Xauthority does not exist
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "(none):3" in "add" command

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32 armv5tel Debian
Current Operating System: Linux (none) 3.0.35+ #4071 PREEMPT Fri Jul 17 16:56:30 CST 2015 armv7l
Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 rootwait rw hwcfg_p=0x9ffffe00 hwcfg_sz=110 waveform_p=0x9f9b5800 waveform_sz=6596064 mem=505M boot_port=1 rootfstype=ext4 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 quiet
Build Date: 29 November 2012 08:57:05PM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-4 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.3.log", Time: Thu Apr 12 15:09:45 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
nohandlebars
nohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshesnohandlebars can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianUruguayan View Post
It doesn't work on my Glo HD. It just shows a distorted image on the screen and gives this output:
This image is quite old, the distortion you are seeing is because the files compiled to update the eink screen have been hardcoded with a resolution of 800x600 (the resolution of the Kobo Touch). I have used this image as a starting point and got it to (more-or-less) work on my H2O, I may do a write up in a few days and attach my build scripts, I don't see why these shouldn't work for your device too.

NH
nohandlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohandlebars View Post
This image is quite old, the distortion you are seeing is because the files compiled to update the eink screen have been hardcoded with a resolution of 800x600 (the resolution of the Kobo Touch). I have used this image as a starting point and got it to (more-or-less) work on my H2O, I may do a write up in a few days and attach my build scripts, I don't see why these shouldn't work for your device too.

NH
Thanks a ton, you don't know how grateful I would be for that. I have been trying for months to turn my Kobo into some sort of e-ink tablet and nothing I have found on the net has worked for me so far. This would be the ultimate solution

Last edited by ItalianUruguayan; 04-14-2018 at 06:18 PM.
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
nicolas161
Enthusiast
nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohandlebars View Post

NH
Any progress with this?

EDIT: Maybe this: http://wordpress.panaceas.org/wp/ind...acking-part-1/ could help.

Last edited by nicolas161; 04-23-2018 at 09:51 AM.
nicolas161 is offline   Reply With Quote