Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Red face I need a good non-websters dictionary

I have no idea what syncs with what, or anything.

I would like it to sync or talk to some kind of reader program that's on a tablet. I can, if pressed make the book let me copy and paste and then put that into a search engine, but it's really disjointing to the story [for me] to do so.

Plus, I usually need obscure stuff that general dictionaries don't have, like etemology and stuff.

And for bizarre personal reasons it can't be webster. [this is a really long weird story that would make no sense to anyone who wasn't there unfortunately, because it's kind of funny]

Some of the books I am reading are old, some would be medical journals - anthropology journals, a few others I can't think of atm. So while I'd love something like the entire Oxford thing the bigger city libraries have in several languages and stuff, I don't have that kind of money right now.

So, what do you think is the best dictionary for a student with those needs?

My main downfall is the Latin/Roman stuff because I never had that in school. I can do German somewhat, and some things in other languages, but need hand-holding.

Would a series of dictionaries be better for this?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm not sure I'm explaining what I need clearly (see siggy) so I'm trying to be extra clear.
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
There's always the iOS versions of various dictionaries...
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/oxfor...307233030?mt=8

I use the Dictionary.com app, and have not bought the OED but might. My hard copy version is very old and falling apart.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert