Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Question Disabling reflow in PDF

I think this was answered before, but I can't find the thread.

My question is if, while reading a PDF file, I can disable the reflow action.

Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
If you don't change text sizes, the reflow should stay disabled. SMALL is the default size for PDF files, and the non-reflow option.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
If you don't change text sizes...
Ok, but I sometimes I find the default size too small. So, is there any other way to disable reflowing?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
varmemester
Connoisseur
varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Ok, but I sometimes I find the default size too small. So, is there any other way to disable reflowing?
The point of reflowing is to be able to make the font size bigger. To make the font size bigger with reflow disabled, keep the small font size, as said, and (1) cut the margins of the pdf as much as possible, (2) view it in landscape mode and (3) set the page mode to fit to width. You can also try to darken the text. Or use the zoom option. If the book is two column you can use the two column mode under page mode - this is only possible in portrait mode.

Last edited by varmemester; 11-15-2010 at 12:15 PM.
varmemester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
varmemester
Connoisseur
varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & Sony PRS-950
In other words - changing font size from small to any other IS reflowing.
varmemester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmemester View Post
Yes. Such is the problem of dealing with PDF.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Falcao
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmemester View Post
That makes a lot of sense.

On further reading a PDF book I realized that what bothers me is not the reflowing thing but that some sentences are cut in the middle. It's like if the PDF has some kind of "hard" returns which can't be overcome by the reflowing process.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The reflowing process is not the best and I've learned to deal with some of the quirks when reading free library books. If the font size is unreadable in portrait mode I will typically change to landscape.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Falcao
Banned

The book I'm reading is quite readable, just a little slow zooming & panning process. Maybe I'm being too picky with this poor 6" screen
Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
readyread
readyread began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Principally the zoom-options are great but reading a PDF fluentliy is almost impossible (even if i lock the current settings -> there is no possibility to turn over to the invisible section of the current page without using the pan mode!). - Or is there a chance to do it in a better way?

Also it looks like that the sony-firmware is somewhat half-baked when using it in landscape mode! - How are the chances for a firmware-update?
readyread is offline   Reply With Quote