Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #61
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
And who cares if there are public domain books preloaded?

Kobo is not going to make any inroads unless they come in significantly cheaper than the competition. Their price is what jumps out at me on that chart.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #62
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
Somewhere in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Man 1: "And who cares if there are public domain books preloaded?"

Man 2: "Sammy, Sammy, Sammy...., you always assume that everybody in the planet is as smart and technically inclined as you are. You may not care, but there are millions of tech and internet illiterati out there who care"

Man 1: "Kobo is not going to make any inroads unless they come in significantly cheaper than the competition!"

Man 2: "Competition? You mean Sony? Sony costs much more..."

Man 1: "I am not talking about Sony! There are Amazon's Kindle and Barnes& Noble's Nook that sell for..."

Man 2: "Oh.... Amazon and Barnes. But they are not in Canada, are they? I don't think they have presence down there in Oz and New Zealand either, do they?"

Man 1: "People can buy over the internet, it's just a few mouse clicks away"

Man 2: "Sammy, Sammy, Sammy, see what your problem is?"

Disclaimer: The conversation above is purely fictional. Any resemblance is purely coincidental.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty View Post
Kobo's comparison web page http://koboereader.com/cad/Kobo-ereader-comparisons/ indicates that Barnes&Noble's Nook has NO capability to borrow books from your local library. Does anyone here agree? I don't.
You're right; I noticed that too. They also show that the Sony Pocket has a memory card slot, when it doesn't.

Sloppy research on their part.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #64
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You're right; I noticed that too. They also show that the Sony Pocket has a memory card slot, when it doesn't.

Sloppy research on their part.
Not only sloppy. Tardy as well! I remember, 2 months after Kobo was launched in the US, the Kobo website still said "Preorder".

Last edited by rty; 10-03-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty View Post
Not only sloppy. Tardy as well! I remember, 2 months after Kobo was launched in the US, the Kobo website still said "Preorder".
Maybe they don't want the US market? They price as if they don't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #66
rty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Maybe they don't want the US market? They price as if they don't.
I concur. That's what my post #63 implies.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #67
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well pre-order for the US and Canada. Looks like us Aussies will need to wait. I wonder if they will do a big price reduction to sell out the existing model to make way for the wifi??

Kind of curious what our price will be.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote